Longshore Hiring

[quote=“Wee-smack”]

I am telling you right now that is a load of shit. I know 3 of those people that went in, and out of the 3 only 1 got an application. Those people went in to witness them pulling the names. It is mandatory that atleast 6 non port workers have to be witnesses for the drawing so people like you don’t start making rumours up that it was all rigged. Wouldn’t expect anything less in prince rumours… well if its a load…explain the people with extra tickets… as for the draw… not saying anything about what i didnt see… but i did see extra tickets in people hands…ticket drawn fair or not …dosen’t matter, if it wasnt fair to all…whats the point… ?????? and thanks for confirming that so called rumour, people went in and came out before the general public with apps…friends or not? still has to be done uncorrupted…if intended or not… its nice to see that who is in charge of it all ,has got game…lol NOT!!![/quote]

That was not the statement. The statement said that “people were pulled out of the line and given applications”… Which never happened. I never once said that the lottery was fair or that people are honest. The lottery was a huge joke. Just seeing all of that go down makes me not even want to work for them anymore. They should have a screening process and gave the jobs to people who needed them. I knew it was well thought out when I saw a guy in the crowd with 2 crab boats… Greed , I would say so…

The process of getting applications wasn’t the greatest, but its done. You can’t change it. The jobs that are available for these new hirers are very limited. Logs and only when its VERY busy. Which may get them a day or 2 a month and even that’s not guaranteed. No one knows what the future of log exports are. Hopefully down the road when expansion at Fairview occurs or any other major work that there will more job opportunities.

[quote=“chookie”]Calling BTavern or other smarty types

Who would one contact if they thought this was not a fair process? I seen many people with more than 1 ticket myself.[/quote]

LOL … I worked on the docks for a while years ago, but was in a different union. The longshoremen were a lot of fun, great guys. They seemed to have some kind of system where they’d take turns working, and also strange job classifications left over from the steam engine days. I remember seeing empties lined up among the lumber piles. I’m pretty sure that doesn’t happen anymore. They definitely have their own way of doing things.

If you have complaints or demurs, you might write to the head guy, international president Robert “Big Bob” McEllrath. Here’s a classic photo of Big Bob at work:

google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http … Q&dur=4123

you know whats ridicules? there were 2 guys in line one of them puking and the other drinking a bottle and they bothed walked out with applications and they were wasted!

I guess you know what you need to do next time they r hiring…

ya need to be related!! i met a kid in line who already had an application, he had already filled it out and was ready to turn it in along with other necessary documents. he told me his dad was a foreman and that all foremans had an opportunity beforehand to get an application for their relatives. i too believe the lotto system they used sucked and they should have a screening process in place. i do not want to work for them anymore, can you imagine working next to the guy drinking in line? :s

Here’s a news flash, but the world is not fair. People will always find a way to play the system that is in place that is related to anything. The rules here were left very loose obviously, and people find a way to play it. Some of the people mentioned here do not yet have jobs, as they still have to go through medicals, written and physical testing, etc. and the failure rates from previously have been around 50%.

The hiring practices for any private company , large corporations, any level of government, federal, provincial or municipal are no different in the end. In the past I have seen people with Phd’s, master degree’s and journeymen’s trade tickets not even get interviews for positions they were clearly very qualified for. Hundreds or even thousands of applicants and only very few successful candidates, those that are unsuccessful always claim that the process is unfair no matter how it is structured, We have all seen this even locally here in the past with PRG, RTI, CN, Gov’t jobs, smaller local companies, etc. that’s reality get used to it.

They did thier best to keep it fair and keep it local, what most within the industry had heard was several of the local first nations bands were given X number of applications, local 505 full union members with a certain amount of seniority were given one application each, local 514 foremen with a certain amount of seniority were given one application each, the local bcmea member companies Maher and empire grain were given a certain number of applications, how those were given out was up to them, the remainder were distributed in what was thought to be a fair and equatable manner. More people than applications, more applications than jobs available. There is always a certain amount of bullshit and politics in every organization I have ever seen, and some people will always find a way to manipulate whatever system exists, what is fair?

to those of you whining about the lottery method,there were people talking about lining up the night before.with temp dropping to 30 below .if they froze to death or sat in their cars & SOMEONE HAD DIED from carbon monoxide poisoning what would you say then? as for some with more than one ticket how would you suggest we stop their friends from lining up for tickets ,shoot them ? signing for one gee couldn’t they sign a fake name? maybe we could have tatooed everyone!as for letting 12 people in to witness the draw,that was to show all that it was not fixed.the draw was done by a rep of the company, recorded by an employee of the company witnessed by 12 people picked at random out of those in line, what more do you want I really hope you don’t want to work on the waterfront ,we don,t need whiners we need workers!!!