Like a crab in a tall pot, SPCA finds itself in hot water!

Lorie Chortyk should do some research on Paul Watson before using “warm regards” when e-mailing him her surrender note.  Like I said before, it was her call, not ours.  But caving in to threats is never a good thing, I don’t think.

mY DAD SAYS THAT IT WASN’T THE LOCAL SPCA THAT CAVED IN THE TERRORISTS, IT WAS THE PROVINCIAL SPCA THAT ORDERED tHE LOCAL spca TO STOP THE CRAP HUNT.

Did somebody say that Sir Paul and his ex are coming here to pose with some crabs? I bet Herbie is already working on his speech. Now I am excited , Sir Paul and Herbie all in one sitting.

Here’s the debate as covered in the Daily News, both the front page story and the editorial by Earle Gale.

atowncalledpodunk.blogspot.com/2 … 5164475176

And for good measure, here’s the Globe and Mail’s take on the boiling issue of the day.

theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ … y/National

The irony, the irony.

Just noticed the address of the Sea Shepherd Society: Friday Harbor, Washington.
The little town on San Juan Island where we used to take weekend holidays to go crab fishing when I lived in Langley…

At least Pauls email address was posted…heh.

This event was held last year and we went and bought half dozen tasty crab. One of which we ate right in the park, (missed the garlic butter though), the others we brought home. It was a good time, for a good cause.

Paul says he’ll pony up some monies to the SPCA, wonder how much?

Its a goddamn shame though, I was looking forward to getting some nice fresh crab again…I guess Paul doesnt eat any seafood?

MY DAD  CAN BEAT UP YOUR DAD!!!111!!!

More from “Captain” Paul Watson:

[quote]
The Live Crab Boil issue was publicized in the Vancouver Sun and Province, The Alberta Herald and the Prince Rupert Daily News last week. The Vancouver Sun reported that I would be donating the amount equivalent to what the SPCA would have made from the live crab boil. I did not say that. What I said was that I would make a donation and encourage others to do so also.

Apparently the publicity motivated some people to allegedly call in bomb threats to the SPCA in Prince Rupert, which if true, is as bizarre as boiling crabs alive to raise funds to prevent cruelty to animals. Some reporters tried to suggest that these threats were my fault and said that the RCMP was investigating these “terrorist” threats. My response is that I simply brought this contradictions to the attention of a great many people. How people respond is not my responsibility. Should we just stay quiet on such things. I don’t think so. 

Well it appears that the SPCA in British Columbia canceled the live crab boil in Prince Rupert because of bad public relations BUT they just don’t seem to understand the contradictions.Below is a list of up-coming fundraisers at various chapters of the SPCA in British Columbia.

On September 10th SPCA branches across British Columbia are hosting fund-raisers: 

One reporter asked me just what is wrong with the SPCA raising funds because they are doing so much for dogs and cats? Another asked me what we were doing to help animals? “Duh”

As for dogs and cats the Sea Shepherd Society has assisted Animal Balance in spaying and neutering over 3,000 animals in the Galapagos over the last two years.

I tired to explain by saying, by repeating these words real slow to them: The Society for the PREVENTION of CRUELTY to ANIMALS. I think the name of the organization speaks for itself - how clearer can it be - PREVENTION OF CRUELTY to ANIMALS.

Maybe there is another definition of animals that I am not aware of, one where crabs, pigs, chickens and cows are not animals.

Humans as always, are amusing in justifying everything they do as good no matter how bizarre the contradictions and how blatant the hypocrisy. 

One website in Prince Rupert asked how I cooked my crabs if I did not boil them. I suppose it is inconceiveable to some people that other people may not eat crabs.

Another message called me a terrorist for forcing the cancellation of an event where crabs would be boiled alive.

Hominids - they never cease to surprise me. Homo idioticus arrogantus

List of SPCA Venues for September. Save a dog, eat a cow!!!
  Kamloops SPCA    250 - 376 - 7722
  “A tasty barbecue.” (BBQ -the stands for Bruised, Battered Queerly treated Animals. I just love watching the steady drip of hot steaming blood dripping off of roasting flesh. BBQ are the three letters that stand between primitive humans and a civilized humanity)

Penticton SPCA  250 - 493 - 0136
  “Snack on burgers and hot dogs.”

Vernon SPCA  250 - 368 - 5910
  “wonderful hot dogs”    - (Not so wonderful for the cows and whatever other living things are in the Hot Dogs. How these hot dogs can be more “wonderful” than any other hot dog is beyond me. They all have acceptable levels of bug parts, rat feces and who knows what else in them.)

Victoria SPCA  250 - 388 - 7722
  “BBQ”

Powell river SPCA 250 - 624 - 2589
  “Bobbing for Wieners”
  Barbecue will be set up for lunch."

Surrey SPCA  604 - 597 - 5655
  “bobbing for weenies” (Let me see is this like apple bobbing but with wieners. Wow what a concept. First we tortureand abuse our food, then we kill it, then we play with it and then we eat it. I wonder if the water is hot - could be a few deserving scalded faces) 

Squamish SPCA  604 - 898 - 9890
  “barbecue”

Campbell River SPCA  250 - 286 - 6131
  “barbecue hot dogs”

Comox SPCA  250 - 339 - 7722  - “barbecue”

(Pamela Anderson is from Comox and I bet she does not approve of her local branch of the SPCA demonstrating their compassion for animals by eating animal flesh)

Kamloops SPCA  250 - 376 - 7722
  “barbecue”

Prince Rupert SPCA 250 - 624 - 2589
  “barbecue”   

Grand Forks/Boundary  SPCA 250 - 442 - 5858
  “barbecue”

100 Mile House  SPCA
  “Doggie Bobbin” (No idea what this is but it sounds like hot dog bobbin similar to the bobbin for weenies above, whatever that is?)

British Columbia’s former Environment Minster and Well Known Talk Show Host Rafe Mair has this to say about the controversy:

The decision of the BC Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals to have a crab dinner has brought an issue into focus few want to face. I’m sure that many who learned of the opposition of environmentalists Paul Watson and Anthony Marr passed the off as being kind of eco-freaks. But we do that, I think, because we don’t want to face unpleasantness when it’s inconvenient.

The SPCA is having a money raiser and is serving freshly boiled crab. Pays your nickel and hear your own crab scream as it is tossed into the boiling water.

The SPCA would never kill dogs that way so why crabs? An interesting question if you want to honestly face it and find an answer.

Let’s talk about fish for a moment. I stopped killing fish 20 years ago and stopped fishing altogether about three years ago. But when I did kill fish I dispatched them with a “priest”, that delightful name sports fishermen give the blunt instrument they use. I don’t know any sports fishermen who would just throw the fish onto the bank or onto the bottom of the boat and let is suffocate. But that’s precisely how commercial fishermen and fish farmers kill their quarry - by the millions. Yet we eat fish without a thought for the terrible way they died.

We’re told that cattle are bonked on the head and that it’s humane - is that they way you will choose to die?

All of us turn our minds away from unpleasant things as I do writing this just before I head out for a plate of mussels. But Paul and Anthony have me thinking - what about you?

Rafe Mair is a member of the Sea Shepherd Board of Advisors

Captain Paul Watson
Founder and President of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society (1977-
Co-Founder - The Greenpeace Foundation (1972)
Co-Founder - Greenpeace International (1979)
Director of the Sierra Club USA (2003-2006)
Director - The Farley Mowat Institute

“Sail forth - steer for the deep waters only,
Reckless O soul, exploring, I with thee and thou with me,
For we are bound where mariner has not yet dared to go,
And we will risk the ship, ourselves and all.”
                                              - Walt Whitman

www.Seashepherd.org
Tel: 360-370-5650
Fax: 360-370-5651

Address: P.O. Box 2616
Friday Harbor, Wa 98250  USA [/quote]

I’ll bet Mr. Watson would also insist that all animals at the SPCA be fed a strict vegan diet as well. 

I guess he must have been reading htmf:

I am wondering what he eats.  If he is a vegan, he should think about the harmed done to vegetables when they are pulled out of their birth place where they grow.  When plants are cut in pieces, their life fluids are spilled.  And since the fruiting body of plants is very often what feeds humans, vegans rob the plants from a chance to reproduce.  They are often thrown in hot pots to be boiled or sautéed.
Some will say it’s not the same.  They will argue that plants don’t sense things.  BS!  Check out tropism on wikipedia.org for examples on how plants are aware of their surroundings and respond to many stimuli.  We just think they don’t react because they are much slower than us.
So I wonder if the extremist like Watson who don’t want the rest of us to eat fish, seafood and meat think about the cruelty done to their own food.  Maybe if they would apply their principles to their own diet, we wouldn’t have to worry about them much!

I’m surprised that no one has told Mr. Watson et al, about our giant whack a coho festival currently ongoing.

Now that would add to the organizers misery of late…

But it would unite us all in a common cause I guess, maybe we could have a crab boil afterwards in solidarity.

My dad knows a nutritionist who says there’s no way that Paul Watson can be a vegan.  He has to eat meat, and lots of it.  How else can he be so fat?

He also wears leather and wool, which means he is cruel to animals sometimes too.

[original attachment deleted after 2 years]

This is what happens when old hippies dont have an unjust war to protest…

oh wait… paul how about instead of writing about the bacteria screaming when the doctors kill them with antibacterial soap before performing surgery you protest something worthwhile like the war?

I assume human life doesnt matter to you and you’re disgusted with your own existance, if so please rid the world of it.

Thanks

Ps; when i was young I used to tear the wings off crane flies.

pps; no we wont change the laws to allow you to fuck goats

LMAO :smiley:  Funny stuff:-)

Jesus , I sure enjoyed your last post and I think that you should email it to Paul of the Sea Shepherd. I remember catching frogs and putting a smoke in its mouth and watching them blow up. Ummmmmmmm frog legs.

that’s rad jesus, those guys suck.  being in nelson, they are everywhere, they will protest anything that somebody else is invloved with, but they never look where they can do anything different.  i find the best way to get rid of them is to tell them your with Rev Can and would like to see the last tax form they sent in.  be surprised how quick a fat bastard like that can move

boiling crab is a damn pastime on the coast, and the fuckers taste good too.  They are trying to help abused animals like dogs and cats, that don’t have a choice about what happens to them.  If i remember rupert correct, there are alot of stray cats and dogs that people abandon.  anywho, that’s my rant.

I think as a new fundraiser for the spca I think we should host our own crab boil. people donate $10.00 we boil a crab donate the meat to the poor and give the $ to the spca… oh and as an added benefit we film it and email it to mr watson…

I decided to contact this fine gentleman protector of wildlife and all round superman. And for your enjoyment I will be posting my conversations here

From his reply, he is more interested in being a s#1+ disturber than saving marine wildlife.  I wonder what he thinks should be done in order to not be “cruel” to the crabs ( by his standards) and still enjoy a tasty snack.  Is killing the crab just before boiling it a better alternative?  That’s usually how I cook crabs, I split them in half ( instant death), remove the top carapace, clean the two halves then throw them in the water.  Lobsters are cooked whole and alive.  I’ve never heard any screams.

Crustaceans are poikilotherms ( fancy word for cold blooded), and when put in boiling water, their body would surely reach a critical temperature quickly and thus death would come faster than in a mammal.  They also don’t have the same kind of sensory receptors as we do and I don’t recall seeing anything about pain receptors.  If they would feel pain the way we do, why would missing legs be such a common occurence?  Losing a limb is common in crustaceans and often used as a defence mechanism.  Pain would surely hinder that adaptation.

Well,

I just happen to have an answer to your question and a couple other emails. Unfortunately he hasnt responded to my most recent one yet.

[quote=“me”]To: “Paul Watson” paulwatson@earthlink.net
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 4:25 PM
Subject: Re: Spca

Is this hypocrisy you speak of the same hypocrisy where so called
environmentalists advocate the bombing of an animal shelter?

I fail to see any positive response from this, threats against an
agency that protects animals is what you consider positive?  Or have
you received pats on the back from all of your other so called
“environmentalist” buddies?

How would you suggest I kill the crab I will be eating for dinner
tonight? My personal preference is to crack them in half over a
bucket then boil them.

Seriously though, how do you justify the acts of terrorism?

[/quote]

[quote=“me”]

So, I am now a terrorist? Do you understand what a terrorist is?
Thats a fun word to throw around isnt it. Well let me help you with a
definition:

The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence by a person
or an organized group against people or property with the intention
of intimidating or coercing societies or governments, often for
ideological or political reasons.

Now I dont know what I am trying to intimidate or coerce a crab into
doing, maybe get in my belly.

I have a few questions for you based upon this email:  you say you
are a non violent vegetarian and I am a violent meat eater. well
would you classify bears as violent meat eaters? how about sharks?
you and I am sure many other people would. What about my 5 week old
kitten who just loves tuna fish is he a violent meat eater as well?

Oddly crabs also eat meat, and in some cases the meat of humans does
that make them violent meat eaters?

Why is it ok for sharks and other animals in the animal kingdom to
eat meat and not humans? I suppose now you will say you dont object
to humans eating meat and only object to the way the crabs are killed?

Well let me refute that argument right now, boiling a crab in hot
water live isnt the most pleasant way to die but then again neither
is being chewed alive by a shark is it?

So why is that you object to humans eating meat and in the process
helping other innocent animals.[/quote]

His obvious answer to your last email will be to tell you that humans are able to choose whether eating meat is right for them or not.  He will probably point out that as omnivores we are able to get the sustenance we need directly from plants and plant products without having to resort to animal proteins.  Animals, on the other hand, are directed by their instincts alone.  They have no real choice in the matter of what they eat.
I still go by the saying that if god hadn’t wanted us to eat animals they wouldn’t have been made out of meat.