KFC coming soon to Rupert

I have to agree with that.  BP would be very welcome here.  Of course once it got here, I would probably become sick of it like I’m sick of PH, but that goes without saying.

Tonight I had some other transplants over for games, and out of the six of us, not one of us likes the local Chinese!  But ALL of us have heard locals say how good the Chinese is here.  We had a good chuckle about it.

Words used to describe local Chinese food here:
Greasy
slimy
tasteless
too mild

among others, that I can’t remember right now.

But I do agree that it has to do with what you’re used to.

And I’m sure we can all agree that we’re not even talking about REAL Chinese food, ‘cause really, the stuff we get here (or anywhere outside of a true China town restaurant) is "westerners’ Chinese food".  And with saying that, there’s not really any real “rule” as to how it should be!

Oh well better to have chinese food you dont like than to be stuck in the Nanaimo.
I can’t stand it there.  Its a tough town…

I miss the food in Richmond ( dim sum buffet for $10.00!!! ). We used to call the type of food served in “rupert” type Chinese resturants railway food or railway chinese food. It is hard to compare the two types of food, but if you want to treat yourself get a big bowl of Special Won Ton from Stardust. It cant be beat.

I never even heard of Chow Mein on a hamburger bun until I moved up North. Disgusting! :smiley:
Vancouver area has the best ethnic restaurants in all Canada. You have to go to San Francisco to match or better the Chinese food in the Lower Mainland.

Do ya think KFC will be in the mall?  At the old Post Office location accross from Royal Bank?

From the very first post in this thread way back on page one…

FYI:  KFC will be added to the Pizza Hut Space sometime this spring…

There will be a take out area to the right as you enter Pizza Hut.  You will also be able to take it into the restaurant area to eat it…

So no more traveling to Terrace for that great Chicken. 

Order from the Cantonese side of the menu, and don’t go the “American” style Chinese places. And why not try the Vietnamese places here. Herbie’s is my fav.

Rupert has the best Chinese food outside of Vancouver. :smile: (in BC that is)

Just to derail this thread even further… has anyone tried Bamboo Shoot yet??

i was curious about that place too

Yeah, I was thinking of giving that place a try this Friday.  It sounds good:)

HIGH MSG WARNING!!!

It’s a fancy Herbie’s.

It’s the guy that owns Herby’s daughter. I’ve seen the menu, lots of seafood.

Herby sold his daughter? Wow, I thought that kind of thing was illlegal these days! :imp:

I lol’ed.

:astonished:

lol

My husband applied there for a cooking job back before they had opened.  They offered him minimum wage, plus they wanted him to help create the menu.  He turned down the offer, but also learned more about the business, like the fact that the servers have to give the FATHER 50% of their tips because he “runs around and does errands for the restaurant”.  After my husband turned down the offer, they upped their offer to $10 an hour.  He tried his hardest not to laugh in their face.

Also, another bit of gossip about that place is that they got the interior designer to go eat at Rain, take note of the decor and copy it.  I haven’t been inside of the bamboo shoot, so I don’t know how close it looks, but the interior designer knows the owners of rain and told them that that’s what he was asked to do. 

I don’t know if this post is wasteland material, but I won’t be offended if it ends up there due to the amount of details I put in here.

I’ve only been to Rain and Bamboo Shoots once and I don’t think they are similar.

haha, I’ve heard pretty sketchy things about how they run their businesses too. XD