Jack Layton

The only party leader who cares enough about us to visit, Jack Layton, will be in Prince Rupert on Monday…

http://www.nathancullen.ca/php/event.php

okay. now I know one candidate and checked out the platform.

nuh-uhhh… not in a million years. i voted NDP all the time until they completely lost touch with reality. they’re still looking for it.

What reality? Yours? Explain please because I tend to think that even though they are more on the bleeding heart side, the Federal NDP has shown more integrity than Paul Martin who evaded taxes from the country he wants to rule. And don’t try to praise the Reformed Conservative. Vote for them if you want to become the 51th state.

Martin didn’t evade any taxes. His companies only took advantage of the same loopholes you or i would if they were available to us. Only stupid people pay more taxes than they have to.

Simply shovelling more money into medicare is a simplistic and stupid idea. The NDP has completely lost touch with the issues that concern the average voter. ‘Lets put an inheritance tax on estates over $1 million’ . These retards think you’re rich if you earn $60K and still think $1 million is a huge sum. That tax would ONLY affect every single person who’s ageing parents own a home in Vancouver Toronto Montreal etc. DUH ! Their basic ideology is Vonnegut-like cripple the ballerinas so the people who can’t dance can be ‘equal’.

And I voted for the Reform/Alliance once and am completely ashamed that I did given their stupid rants against the metric system for referndums on stupid gut issues like capital punishment. Their anti-gay, anti-abortion anti-immigrant moralistic rants make me puke. And anyone who praises Brian Mulroney should be hung along with the Bloc as traitors.

Now if the Liberals could only drop the gun registry, delete the ‘notwithstanding’ clause in the charter, abolish the Monarchy after the Queen abdicates and treat our armed forces with respect, they’d have my vote 100% of the time.

So I’m guess I’m leaning Liberal unless a candidate proves he’s more deserving than a vote for the party

Are you sure you’re not confusing the provincial NDP with the feds? They’re completely different.

This is the only chance you’ll have to speak directly to a party leader… Why not see what he has to say?

Shouldn’t the country’s leader be held to higher standards than others who stretch the loopholes so much that you wonder about how it could be legal? I am sorry but if your answer to this question is no, you perpetuate the cycle of politicians looking out for themselves only and not speaking for their constituents.
I want a statesman for a leader, no matter what party he is from. Martin has some work to do before he achieve this status.
http://www.flyourflag.ca/

I think Martin is the only leader that is a statesman. He has the experience necessary to run the country and the skills to handle the economy.
Layton and the NDP would be wise to prop up any Liberal minority government as long as they could if that situation arises. We’d get the best of both.
And No to the ‘higher standards’ bit. What is this BS that celebs political, sports or other are supposed to be better than the average joe. Average Joe needs to pull up his own socks and account for himself (or herself).

If some of you guys ever buy a shipping line don’t bother to send a prospectus. Learn how capitalism works first.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]
And No to the ‘higher standards’ bit. What is this BS that celebs political, sports or other are supposed to be better than the average joe.[/quote]

That is exactly what’s wrong with your view. You put celebrity and sports personalities in the same boat as politicians. Let me remind you that the latter are elected to represent people and to administer or defend a region/province/country. They cannot afford to look for # 1 like actors and basketball players. I have to trust that the politicians will do their best to administer the country and spend my tax money wisely. People who avoid paying taxes by choosing to fly other countries’ flag on their ships don’t earn much trust from me.
Paul Martin is like George Bush: in his mind, he has to be Prime Minister because he thinks he is entitled to become PM, not because he wants this country to be better. On that point of view, both Jack Layton and Stephen Harper are better than him, despite them being at opposite end of the political spectrum. Both of them want to be PM because they think that their respective views are going to improve the way the country is run.
Not because they stood in the shadow of Jean Chrétien for so long that they think of themselves as the heir to the throne.

A politician’s job is not to represent a body of people. A politician’s job is to convince people to elect him.

You’re 100% right re heir to throne idea. But it’s irrelevant to known ability. The flag of convenience is a red herring, he is no longer on board and business wise it is the proper choice. It would fly Canadian if Canadian fees were cheap and rules as lax as Greece or Panama.
The Devil you know, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it principles.

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”] The flag of convenience is a red herring, he is no longer on board and business wise it is the proper choice. It would fly Canadian if Canadian fees were cheap and rules as lax as Greece or Panama.
[/quote]

Then he should also seek office in these countries. Don’t go on TV telling me about the Canada you choose when you can’t even pay taxes to contribute to public funds for hospitals, schools etc…
The fact that Martin used loopholes might seem like a brilliant idea to you herbie but don’t you think decisions like this affect the rest of us? Don’t you think that the fact that you feel tax cuts is what we need is somewhat linked to the fact that so many of these big companies use loopholes to avoid paying taxes?
What I am trying to say is that Martin’s patriotism (which is an attribute the PM should have-duh!) is questionable because of his past and that so far, he hasn’t shown me, average joe, that he truly changed.

i actually agreed with you 100% at one time. I even helped Harcourt get elected. He didn’t win this riding but won every poll in town here.
the sad fact is, we get to elect who the corporations want, or they take their business elsewhere. I own a business and i’m a single parent and make so little i completely understand and confirm the beliefs i had at 21. I’d be rioting at the world trade gatherings if i didn’t know the futility of it.

I’d like to pay less tax yes. I cant pay the ones i owe now fer christ sake. if you make $8 an hour, you make $7000 over the personal exemption and are taxable. It pisses you that CSL pays dick shit but it’s like saying cuz i’m getting screwed, the other guy should get screwed too. how about making it where nobody gets screwed?

once Mulroney screwed us over (locked us into NAFTA, where Americans don’t have to play by the rules) and gave us a european VAT (the GST) with our US-tied economy, we have a big problem. We’re NOT americans. We don’t want to be Americans. Martin has the skill to balance this all out. Layton will just turn us into a pariah state like Nicaraugua was…

i say not only vote Liberal but take out a membership and join the 5th column…

(former Blue Democrat)

Jack will be at the ocean view hotel tonight, 5-7pm, watching the hockey game.

And who cares?

Fog. They say his plane couldn’t land two hours ago because of fog. Yup. It’s real foggy out there.

I had been watching a fog bank hang over digby for part of the afternoon. It sure moved in quick though. Within 15 mins digby was gone, 15 after that harbour was mostly obscured. It could have been obscuring the runway as its only VFR into the airport, but I could be wrong.

to bad i didn’t have my camera so that you could of seen the fog bank was pretty fuckin’ thick. Oh well don’t worry Nathan Cullen was somewhat dissapointed as well.

[quote=“DjTux”]

to bad i didn’t have my camera so that you could of seen the fog bank was pretty fuckin’ thick. Oh well don’t worry Nathan Cullen was somewhat dissapointed as well.[/quote]

Well, I could see the island from my place, and from here it looked like a damn clear sky all afternoon.

pull your head out of your ass man, is it so hard to believe the fog that IS HERE NOW was somewhere CLOSE ENOUGH this afternoon to affect the LOCAL flight schedules?

For a plane landing at 3, when it was clear, and taking off at 7, when it was clear, yes, it is hard to believe. I’d rather believe we were snubbed.