J.S.Macmillan's Reduction Plant

I for one am fed up with having to put up with the reek emitted from Macmillan’s reduction plant. The technology must be 45 years old and is totally unacceptable in this day and age. Macmillan’s make money from processing the offal for themselves and all the other plants yet they have made no attempts at installing new scrubbers to help reduce the offensive smells they emit. If some other business where to open up and try to burn or process something so vile then I am sure they would be fined and or shut down in a heartbeat.
Why should we, as residents have to put up with putrid smells with no say in the matter, it does not make sense. Offal needs to be dealt with and there are jobs at stake here, but it’s time Macmillan’s steps up and improves their game. When it affects our ability to draw in tourist and do business due to their greed then I think it’s time to call on our MLA and see what can be done. Enough is enough, after all, how many times has the government bailed out that place to keep it running? We should be able to enjoy our days without putting up with rancid fish stink being spewed into the air in throughout the day. Hey, even if they only did it on a night shift would be better until such time as they have it fixed up. Might even make the bar crowd go home a bit earlier?

I for one am fed up with having to put up with the reek emitted from Macmillan’s reduction plant. The technology must be 45 years old and is totally unacceptable in this day and age. Macmillan’s make money from processing the offal for themselves and all the other plants yet they have made no attempts at installing new scrubbers to help reduce the offensive smells they emit. If some other business where to open up and try to burn or process something so vile then I am sure they would be fined and or shut down in a heartbeat.
Why should we, as residents have to put up with putrid smells with no say in the matter, it does not make sense. Offal needs to be dealt with and there are jobs at stake here, but it’s time Macmillan’s steps up and improves their game. When it affects our ability to draw in tourist and do business due to their greed then I think it’s time to call on our MLA and see what can be done. Enough is enough, after all, how many times has the government bailed out that place to keep it running? We should be able to enjoy our days without putting up with rancid fish stink being spewed into the air in throughout the day. Hey, even if they only did it on a night shift would be better until such time as they have it fixed up. Might even make the bar crowd go home a bit earlier?

I concur, its air pollution that is affecting many in this community and damn nasty!

I would rather put up with the stink for a few days/weeks during the summer, than have a result that ends up with that company pulling out of the city and throwing about 60 full time workers out of a job.

I agree with this one, sometimes we just have to suck it up. why try and take away so many jobs people depend on?
and for tourists, have you tried anything?
this town can sure use some upbeat.

Hopefully the port expansion phase 2 eats up the land all the waqy to macmillan and they delete the reduction plant.

The shitty thing about all that putrid stench that goes into cat food, is that the nicest most expensive houses in town that have 3 or more balcony’s with the nicest view ever, never get used.

If you go over to Graham ave on a hot sunny day, expect to see all windows closed and not a balcony in use, I think that sucks, who in there right mind would live here ?

Hopefully the port expansion phase 2 eats up the land all the waqy to macmillan and they delete the reduction plant.

The shitty thing about all that putrid stench that goes into cat food, is that the nicest most expensive houses in town that have 3 or more balcony’s with the nicest view ever, never get used.

If you go over to Graham ave on a hot sunny day, expect to see all windows closed and not a balcony in use, I think that sucks, who in there right mind would live here ?

Why are you repeating yourself?

Why are you repeating yourself?

“yawn”

You might not be old enough to remember the other smell of money Rupert used to have. It was called the pulp mill. And yes the smell of sulpher may have gotten to us sometimes but i would rather have that then what happened to Rupert when the mill shut down and we lost almost half our population

This is like the people that whine about the train horn blasts. Give it a rest

[quote=“OMEGA”]“yawn”

You might not be old enough to remember the other smell of money Rupert used to have. It was called the pulp mill. And yes the smell of sulpher may have gotten to us sometimes but i would rather have that then what happened to Rupert when the mill shut down and we lost almost half our population

This is like the people that whine about the train horn blasts. Give it a rest[/quote]

this is a bit different than a horn blast, and who’s saying fixing this problem means that people have to be laid off? has anyone looked into how this can be fixed and what it would cost?
perhaps it’s better this town has people who value this location not by how many dollars they can squeeze out of it rather it’s odd sunny day and our beautiful and accessible wilderness (when it’s not absolutely ruined by that wretched stench!)

Forwared to 52 seconds lol

it doesn’t stink now!
it didn’t stink yesterday!

what every once in awhile not only does GRAHAM street have the stench but the whole town does!
yes maybe a way to fix it, but the BIO was worse than this also.

[quote=“chalk”]

[quote=“OMEGA”]“yawn”

This is like the people that whine about the train horn blasts. Give it a rest[/quote]

this is a bit different than a horn blast, and who’s saying fixing this problem means that people have to be laid off? has anyone looked into how this can be fixed and what it would cost?
perhaps it’s better this town has people who value this location not by how many dollars they can squeeze out of it rather it’s odd sunny day and our beautiful and accessible wilderness (when it’s not absolutely ruined by that wretched stench!)[/quote]

So um, if we get rid of the fishy smell, like we got rid of the pulp smell, remove the noise of a container port and railway… exactly how many people other than yourself will be left to enjoy our beautiful accessible wilderness and what exactly will they do for a living.

This place has always been kind of a industrial base kind of town, most of which seem to be dying off, so hang in there, you may get your wish yet…

[quote=“OMEGA”]“yawn”

This is like saying " I will be happy to put up with any crap that any business wishes to put me through as long as they pay us". Maybe it would be cool for the oil companies to start drilling in the harbor and up the Skeena, after all it will create jobs! Really?
I can’t belive you are dumb enough to actually belive that this problem can not be fixed. All it takes is a bit of modernization. Don’t forget, MacMillan’s make money operating the reducton plant and if they could do it better and more efficiantly then they may even be able to do more and possibly create some new jobs rather than continue to use 45 year old technology and spew crap throughout the city air. You are assuming that if the reduction plant closes there will be lost jobs? Well it takes only 2 people to run that part of the plant so why would they lay all 60 off? Macmillan’s operates here because this is where the fish are and it makes financial sense to run their operation here. Most of the canneries ship most of their fish south for processing so they can save money rather than paying workers that used to have jobs here.
If you think the pulp mill lost allot of jobs here, how many did the Rupert lost when the fishing industry went in the tiolet. More, I assure you.
The reason they do the reduction here is that it is not cheaper or feasible to truck it away to the south like they have with most of the other jobs they could take out of here. Besides, nobody in the south would put up with that crap being spewed into their cities!
Why should we strive to better this situation? Because it is fixable and they will not upgrade as long as folks like you just accept living in a rancid cloud of stupidity.

Well that will certainly sway folks over to your side of the argument, nothing like an insult to make your case!

I left this town because of whiny people, so there you have it. Rupert population: -1 person

BTW, those who mind the smell isn’t a Rupertite. :smiley:

[quote=“Smurfette”]

perhaps it’s better this town has people who value this location not by how many dollars they can squeeze out of it rather it’s odd sunny day and our beautiful and accessible wilderness (when it’s not absolutely ruined by that wretched stench!)

So um, if we get rid of the fishy smell, like we got rid of the pulp smell, remove the noise of a container port and railway… exactly how many people other than yourself will be left to enjoy our beautiful accessible wilderness and what exactly will they do for a living.

This place has always been kind of a industrial base kind of town, most of which seem to be dying off, so hang in there, you may get your wish yet…[/quote]

Your logic is a bit flawed there pal, getting rid of the rancid stench doesn’t necessarily mean shutting down the plant, I think the fact that people take to heart issues such as the quality of our air and natural environment as an indicator that we’ve progressed since our more “industrial base kind of town” days. This isn’t as black and white as you are trying to spin it, it’s not my wish to have industry leave this town… and you implying that it is, is just as insulting as the insult you just noted in BOW’s comments. If I had to wish on this subject I think I’d wish for industry to be more responsible and empathetic that’s all.