J.S.Macmillan's Reduction Plant

Interesting discussion! Is it even possible or financially feasible for the reduction plant to stop producing the offensive smells? I don’t know if the company is able to control emissions. I am happy that the plant provides work for people in our fair city.
I can live with the occasional malodorous waft.

Certainly a smelly situation

[quote=“chalk”]
[condescending saluation to smurfette omitted] … getting rid of the rancid stench doesn’t necessarily mean shutting down the plant, I think the fact that people take to heart issues such as the quality of our air and natural environment as an indicator that we’ve progressed since our more “industrial base kind of town” days. This isn’t as black and white … it’s not my wish to have industry leave this town … If I had to wish on this subject I think I’d wish for industry to be more responsible and empathetic that’s all.[/quote]

Apparently there has been some discussion about JS McMillan getting a permit to dump fish offal in the chuck as an alternative to operating the reduction plant and offending the sensibilities of some citizens. That may be the more likely solution than plant upgrades; and losing those jobs would be sad.

One of the blessings of living here is that we must have some of the cleanest, healthiest air in the province. Is the reduction plant smell for a few days of the year, which I’ve never heard described as a health hazard, really that big a deal in the greater scheme of things? I agree with hitest.

[quote=“hitest”] … I am happy that the plant provides work for people in our fair city.
I can live with the occasional malodorous waft.[/quote]

Certainly not as many puns as expected. Something’s fishy.

No worries now… as of Octber 31, JS Macmillan will be shuttin 'er down
how many more people out of work?

Not the reduction plant…

ahh sorry, i misread the press release.
but still… more unemployed will be joining the ranks

The only thing that is going to stink now is the disposition towards Rupert from all the people who just lost their long term jobs. :neutral_face: