iPad

Which really sums up what I think about this “latest” Apple crap:

I thought the iPad would be a sexy variation of Macbook Air, but instead it turns out to be a fat ass version of iPod Touch.

From what I’ve been reading, this is the start of things, and the iPhone and iPod Touch are actually slimmed down versions of the tablet.  Apparently they’ve had this “safari tablet” concept at apple for a few years, even built some prototypes.  When they decided to do a phone, they shrank it.

Aw I knew it, the iPad  was just something they threw together at the last minute, The Onion says so!!

theonion.com/content/news_br … s_stays_up

I’ll admit that I haven’t read a ton on what this thing will do, but for my lifestyle I just can’t see how this product would be of use to me.

I keep waiting for Apple to show me why I MUST have this thing. Usually companies like Apple are good at that kind of thing.

I’ll be watching though… it’s easy to see the potential for devices like this in the marketplace. It will be interesting to see how they develop.

NY Times article on the ipad:

NY Times- ipad

Good article.  One key statement is:  “the iPad is really a vessel, a tool”.  I think this is important because it seems to me that with the iPad  Apple is really entering the bookstore business.  I wonder how much they will make from every book sold via their store?  Just as they entered the music store business when they created the ipod.  With Apple it’s all about the experience.

Mosspuppet reviews Islate. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_Fi9V_ot4I)

[quote=“Eso”]
I’ve always kind of wanted an ebook reader. I’ll have to wait until there are iPads in the wild to see how they stack up against the existing hardware (Kindle, Sony Reader etc). My biggest concern with any of them is avoiding any potential DRM hassles.[/quote]

I played with a colleague’s Kindle today.  I was pleasantly surprised at the screen.  It was just so… nice.  Easy on the eyes, even nicer than paper, I’d say.  I could imagine reading on that thing for hours – something I can’t do with an LCD screen.

We also talked about the academic possibilities of these devices – books with hyperlinks to the rest of the world for a start.  Or how about having every single piece of paper you’ve ever encountered in your life, all stored in your pocket, all searchable and instantly accessible.

The Kindle excels at text, but I think it won’t be as versatile as the iPad.  It’s clear that this is the target or segment market, though.  It’s not meant to compete with laptops, but rather it’s a new category altogether.

From hitest’s link to David Pogue’s impressions:

"Now Phase 2 can begin: the bashing by the bloggers who’ve never even tried it: “No physical keyboard!” “No removable battery!” “Way too expensive!” “Doesn’t multitask!” “No memory-card slot!”

That will last until the iPad actually goes on sale in April. Then, if history is any guide, Phase 3 will begin: positive reviews, people lining up to buy the thing, and the mysterious disappearance of the basher-bloggers."

"My main message to fanboys is this: it’s too early to draw any conclusions. Apple hasn’t given the thing to any reviewers yet, there are no iPad-only apps yet (there will be), the e-bookstore hasn’t gone online yet, and so on. So hyperventilating is not yet the appropriate reaction.

At the same time, the bashers should be careful, too. As we enter Phase 2, remember how silly you all looked when you all predicted the iPhone’s demise in that period before it went on sale."

gizmodo.com/5459308/slate-showdo … e=true&s=i

collegehumor.com/video:1928558

:smiley:

I would love to have one of these while taken a dump at home, other then that Ill be using my laptop.

If you could have the same car fully loaded or not which would you pick?

Better names
icrap
idump
iwashthefingerprintsofmyscreeneveryday
iwastedmymoney
ipoo’d
i’mafool

iBilly

Fixed it for you.

:smiley:

Personally, I use a pc. Nothing against macs per se…I’m just too cheap. One product I’m really excited about is the Mactini:

Can’t figure out how to embed this–but it’s a pretty funny video about iPad comedy:

collegehumor.com/video:1928558

Just trying my luck at imbedding a video. Thanks Mig for the directions.

Yeah, they all thought the idea of an iPod with a phone was funny too.  Remember all that comedy gold?

40 million iPhones later, not so funny.  A new market segment created.

Or how about the reviews of the iPod?  Everybody thought it was a dumb name, too expensive, didn’t have all the features of other players, etc. 

It’s futureshock – when something doesn’t fit a certain view of the world, people tend to react negatively.  Think how people reacted to the first cars, or how funny it was watching a teacher try and use a VCR.

Good reading:  speirs.org/blog/2010/1/29/future-shock.html

“There’s no chance that the iPhone is going to get any significant market share. No chance.”  – Steve Balmer on the launch of the iPhone.

“No wireless. Less space than a Nomad. Lame.” Rob Malda, Slashdot, on the iPod.

"The iMac will only sell to some of the true believers. The iMac doesn’t include a floppy disk drive drive for doing file backups or sharing of data. It’s an astonishing lapse from Jobs, who should have learned better… the iMac is clean, elegant, floppy-free–and doomed.â€

I’m interested in seeing one of the iPads for myself.  My first impression was that it was just a big iTouch, but with the ebook capability and ability to watch videos it seems like an excellent tool to take on trips.

As for the lil’ blue Legos, someone has pointed out a series of possible solutions…

daringfireball.net/2010/01/blue_boxes

Sounds pretty logical to me.