iPad

[quote=“MiG”]
You’re still saying the interface is old, and it’s a reason you’re “not sure why anyone would want one of these.”[/quote]

The interface is just one reason I would tell people not to buy one.  I listed several other reasons also.

Again, the interface isn’t the only issue.

Clearly it’s not a laptop but it’s designed to do some of the things a laptop can do.

Now you’re comparing apples to oranges.  Sure there are some TVs with the capabilites of a computer, ie. internet surfing, but they aren’t computers nor are most of them designed to do things computers can do.  The ipad is tablet PC and is designed to do a lot of the things computers can do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_%28person%29#Fanboy.2Ffangirl

[quote]Fanboy is a term originating in the United States[citation needed], used to describe a male who is highly devoted and biased in opinion towards a single subject or hobby within a given field. The earliest known recorded use is dated 1919.[5]

Fanboy-ism is often prevalent in a field of products, brands or universe of characters where very few competitors (or enemies in fiction, such as comics) exist. An example is the market for CPUs for PCs, where AMD and Intel together hold a market share of 99.6% (as of Q1 2009)[6]. In this market, users of home computers realistically only have a choice between two brands, and hence, a fight over which is better easily ensues. In this field, an “Intel fanboy” prefers CPUs made by Intel, and might aggressively defend their supposed superiority compared to the other brand(s), be skeptical or in denial about negative reviews of the product, and exert a high level of brand loyalty. The same brand war ensues when comparing video card brands Nvidia and ATI, which together dominate the video card market.[/quote]

It wasn’t a personal attack at all.  You’ve shown numerous times to adamantly defend Apple and their products and admitted to owning most Apple products without acknowledging the negative aspects of the them.  I like how you focused on that one part of the sentence, instead of addressing the question I posed to you.

Ok, let’s just say that you’re not the target for the iPad.  Perhaps that’s on purpose.

You seem to want to make purchasing decisions on “bang for the buck” and a list of features.  This is not how Apple operates, and I totally get that you don’t like that.

Apple makes products people want, it doesn’t make lists of features in a box.  When people shop for shoes, for cars, for clothes, they don’t think like that.  They don’t list a bunch of features and make checkmarks in columns.  That’s why everyone doesn’t buy $10 shoes or drive in the cheapest cars possible, all the same colour. 

I totally get that you don’t think it’s worth the money.  But that’s not what you said.  You said that you were “not sure why anyone would want one of these.”  And then you listed the reasons you thought that nobody else would want one of these. 

And I think you’re wrong.  You listed a bunch of reasons you wouldn’t want one.  But luckily for Apple, you’re not everyone.

Yes, you could get a netbook with more checkmarks in the features columns for cheaper. 

You could also get a desktop computer with even more features for even cheaper – so why would anyone want a netbook? 

You left out this part from the wikipedia quote: “The term has also been applied to criticize perceived fan elitism[citation needed]. The term itself is often used in a derogatory manner by less serious fans of the same material.”

You just want to dismiss my opinions by labelling me a fanboy.  Do you know how many computers I have in my house?  You want to take a guess at the percentage that are Apple?  You want to take a guess at what little emblem is on the back of my car?    If you knew the answer to either of those, you wouldn’t be calling me an Apple fanboy.

Honestly, you’re just assuming everyone else is like you – they aren’t.  They don’t look at products the way you do, and you seem to think people are stupid because of it. 

Do you sit outside of shoe stores and laugh at the fanboys and stupid people who pay $100 for shoes when they could get shoes with the same “features” for $10 at Wal-Mart? 

[quote=“MiG”]
You left out this part from the wikipedia quote: “The term has also been applied to criticize perceived fan elitism[citation needed]. The term itself is often used in a derogatory manner by less serious fans of the same material.”[/quote]

Once again, I wasn’t using it as an insult.  You’ve shown clear bias toward Apple products now and in the past.

I know you have macbooks, iphones, and even an Apple TV.  Not sure about an ipod but i wouldn’t doubt it.  That pretty much covers every Apple product.  You don’t need to have the most Apple computers or drive around with an Apple bumpersticker on your car to be a fanboy.  The way you adamantly defend Apple products without even remotely acknowledging the negative aspects makes you one. 

If a person doesn’t look at both the positive and the negative aspects of a product and say “OMG I have to buy it because it’s a certain brand,” instead of thoroughly researching the item and making an informed decision then yes, that person is stupid. 

Sorry but your analogy fails because all shoes do the exact same thing while the ipad and normal laptops/netbooks do not.

All I can say is, the second this goes on the Apple site for pre-order, the 64GB 3G model will be mine, oh yes, it WILL be mine!

Shame the predicted release date here is June/July, so may just buy one in the US and then resell on EBay when they release the UK version!

And as soon as you can unlock it so I can get a shell running, even better :smile:

IMHO (as a self confessed fanboi) its pretty damn awesome, OK, so maybe its a larger Touch, but with way more… I can use iWork on it, scrap my Sony eReader, personally, it’s exactly what I wanted… except for one thing, Flash support… They havent said it WONT support Flash, nor have they said it will, so I guess thats a big ‘wait and see’… After all, the big hold back on Flash for iPhone/Touch was the processor/battery issues… From how it looks, this should be able to work around those!

(and while I do confess myself to be a Fanboi, 1) I can afford to be, 2) I still have a 1GHz Powerbook at home, running strong, its never failed, never had a problem, hell, its the most reliable laptop I’ve ever owned… At the time it cost me £2000, but work that out over the 6-7 years I’ve abused that thing… and finally 3) I also have a couple of Linux Servers running, even a Win2008 Server, but its the Apple stuff I use day to day for front end… but I did just get a Mac Mini Server this morning, so maybe the Win2K8 server will disappear too!!)

And I admit this won’t be to everyones liking, lots of people will says ‘Its expensive and pointless’, and thats fair enough, maybe it is.

But I wonder how long before when travelling around here I see, not just people with white earbuds, but also an iPad… Will be interesting to see…

It might even ‘do an iPhone’… When Gen1 was, well, expensive, you didn’t see it very often, and it was a pretty ‘exclusive’ product, but now, with the 3G and 3GS I see them everywhere… Number of meetings I goto, and rather than give people a Business card I just ‘Bump’ with the iPhone… 

Judging from all the bitching and whining in this thread all of you could use the ipad.

I’m also a huge fan of Apple products.  My 15 year old has been running a macbook for 1-2 years now and it is reliable and rock-steady.  She has no complaints.  :smile:

I don’t know why something like this would be such an issue- either you buy it or you don’t. I use a PC for the most part but since I don’t use a cell phone and wanted something portable, bought a iPod Touch and love it…but I’ve never gotten hooked on our Mac, don’t even have an account on it or our new laptop. So not really an Apple fan but I can see why this would appeal. Oh and yes, I would wait at least a year or two to buy one!

Wasn’t impressed by Jobs’ dismissing Netbooks.
The EEE touchscreen with an actual hard-drive & Win7 could “newtonize” the iPad with an unlocked 3G added.

This guy gets it:

cruftbox.com/blog/archives/001592.html

"Remember way back to January 2007, when the iPhone was announced? Oh Internets, you wailed and gnashed your teeth endlessly. No 3G network? No MMS? No apps on the iPhone? No replaceable battery? Oh, your complaints were endless. You were sure that the iPhone was doomed because it didn’t meet all your requirements.

And what happened? Well, Apple has sold 40 million iPhones. FORTY MILLION. They have become the largest mobile device company in the world."

Also when the i phone came out it was what ? $700.00  well the i pad is only $499.00 wow

And I STILL got the iPhone on release day!

Google’s counter to the iPad:

Motorola’s counter to the iPad:

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1827/inyofacejobs.jpg

[quote=“Eso”]
http://i.imgur.com/PtGZT.jpg[/quote]

Love the white lab coat.  Instant credibility.

Neophiliac!

Im taking mig’s side here, if there are sides to take, it is a truly innovative product and it has lots to offer. i use my ipod touch more as a pda and a web surfing device then an mp3 player, there was often times i would have loved to have had a larger screen purly cause i love the multitouch interface its great for browsing being able to scroll and zoom just with your fingers. however, last year i bought a macbook pro so, myself i could not justify purchasing an ipad because my gap between pocket computer  and portable computer is very small. i know a gentleman that wants one for its ebook reading alone, im sure that apple will sell lots of these, and the fact that it can run iwork and be connected to a monitor or a projector makes it perfect for the traveling person that needs to do presentations. and its a lot more reasonable then getting a macbook air.

anyhow thats my two cents, and i cant wait to see one

That I cant argue with!

I’ve always kind of wanted an ebook reader. I’ll have to wait until there are iPads in the wild to see how they stack up against the existing hardware (Kindle, Sony Reader etc). My biggest concern with any of them is avoiding any potential DRM hassles.

I agree with this article.
gizmodo.com/5458382/8-things-tha … e=true&s=i