Internet slow down- fiber cut in landslide

Have got calls from WISP customers thinking their computer is the problem. It’s run by CityWest.
Only thing I’ve noticed on Telus is the odd delay as it finds a route to some websites. Then it loads just fine. HTMF took over a minute to come up.

11/29/2021 9 AM PST Railroad and infrastructure repairs are ongoing.

They’re going to be losing a lot of customers over this. I’ve been on a TELUS SmartHUB for past two weeks, and cut off CityWest completely. Not having a proper redundant link is ridiculous. They need a better source of funding other than Government grants to keep their sinking ship afloat.

Not really. As a Rupert resident I have no where else to go. There’s no competition allowed in this town.

11/30/2021 8:30 AM PST Railroad and infrastructure repairs are ongoing.

That’s regulated by the CRTC. Prohibiting competition is against CRTC regulations, and TELUS Mobility wouldn’t be a thing in PR if that was the case. There are SmartHUB options available if the address doesn’t quality for VDSL.

Oh FFS the CRTC is as worthless as shit. They’re gonna approve the Rogers-Shaw merger just watch.
The Chairman’s not gonna miss out on those champagne and lobster lunches with the Telco CEOs.
And the so-called “Competition” bullshit always always turns out to be a race for which company can raise rates faster.
People seem to think if there’s a choice, they’ll just switch to the other BLINK! Guess what you signed a contract and if you do, they’ll come after you for the remainder of the contract. If you don’t pay up, your credit’s destroyed and the other ISPs tell you where you can stick it too,

I’ve always made it a personal policy to never sign contracts. Doesn’t matter if it was TELUS or Shaw. Sure, I may end up paying more monthly, but I have the freedom to switch between providers without recourse.

It is fashionable to slam our local ISP; I’m guilty of that. I’ve been with CityWest for a long time. I don’t know if what I’m paying is a lot. One thing that I do like about CityWest is that I don’t have a data cap on my current plan. That’s very helpful. Back on topic.

11/30/2021 3 PM PST Restoration efforts are still underway. Due to risk of rock and mudslides the field teams have been called back temporarily.

|12/01/2021|3 PM PST|Field teams have advised that repairs have been completed and tested on several damaged segments of fibre.

There is one more damaged area to be repaired before services are fully restored. The last segment will take longer to access.

CityWest bought out the local WISP (my old one), they’re currently the best “deal”. $50 for 20Mbs no cap. Telus DSL 15Mbs $75, no cap $10 extra. Cable 20Mbs for $80 & there is a cap.
Of course 90% of people insist they got way better prices but never saw that “for the first 3 months on a two year contract” on the next line and are SHOCKED when it eventually goes up…
had a guy insist Telus gave him 100Mb service for $15 a month 10 years ago. And that was a different guy than the one with a scrotum on his elbow.

|12/04/2021|7 PM PST|Alarms have cleared and fibre links have been restored. Work in the area is still continuing and we have not received a notification from the field team of a full restoration.

Once we receive confirmation we will confirm that the slowdown is over.

|12/05/2021|4 PM PST|Some circuits have been restored and there is less congestion for Internet traffic.

However, work is not finished and there may be additional impacts as repairs are completed.

Like sll my GoDaddy sites going on and off line all day?.. At first I thought it was the usual Telus let’s lose the gateway 5 or 6 times a day for 3 to 5 minutes that I’m used to for the last decade

|12/08/2021|1:30 PM PST|Links were restored on December 4th and have since remained stable.

Crews are currently “hands off” and all temporary repairs have been completed.

We received this email from CityWest:

Over the past few weeks, you may have experienced a slowdown in your Internet services. This was the result of a rock slide that occurred in November in southern B.C., which cut a fibre line from one of our bandwidth providers. We are happy to let you know that this fibre cut has been fixed, and our Internet traffic is now being routed as usual.

We know that this Internet slowdown was an inconvenience to our customers, and we would like to show our appreciation for your loyalty by offering you one of the following deals:

A - Free 2-month upgrade to any Quantum Internet package available in your area
B - Free 2-month add-on of any theme pack through your TV packaging (excluding the adult pack)
C - Free 2-month add-on of any phone feature

If you would like to take advantage of any of these deals, you can respond to this email by December 31, 2021, and let us know which one you would like (for example, “I would like option A”). Or, you can call us at 1-800-442-8664 and ask one of our amazing customer representatives to sign you on to a deal.

Thank you for your continuing loyalty and understanding as we dealt with this unfortunate situation.

Sincerely yours,
Team CityWest

I think options A-C are nice. However, when Rogers lost connectivity for a day they gave us a discounted bill on the next billing cycle. We paid for high speed internet for a few weeks and received KB/sec instead of MB/sec. A fourth option of a discounted bill would be nice, CityWest.

2 Likes

D- Free 2-month any dial up Internet package available in your area

1 Like

7 posts were split to a new topic: Internet Service Provider Discussion

This issue is resolved. It’s good to be able to speedily download my ISOs again. :slight_smile:

Well no cables down but nobody had a good experience with Netflix over Xmas here. Good old spinning circle… So cold everyone was in watching the tube, I think the pipe got saturated.
I say pipe(singular), as I doubt more than one strand is lit up here in the Fort.