Inlander on fire again

[quote=“codybear933”]
I believe there were only 7 tenants living in the Hotel, [/quote]

I heard RCMP report to the community that there were only a few tenants registered - and many more squatting or couch-surfing.

Slums always are a catch 22 - they are affordable but unsafe. Slums are also a haven for people who are difficult to house - of which Prince Rupert has quite a few.

I dont understand why everyone is getting mad at everyone else for there opinions. When people should be thinking of shoving their anger towards the owner of this building who many people probably know… He should have shut this place down after the first fire instead of indangering the lives of the poor people in side… He had no insurance as far as I heard and well this owner owns many diffrent places in town that are in no better condition and he doesn’t care making people use rustY fridges with twist ties holding the racks up… I think the city should file a suit against the owner for providing such awfull living accomidations for people who don’t have much to their lives and deal with problems that many of us will never know… GET THE OWNER AND TEACH HIM A LESSON. MAYBE PEOPLE SHOULD LOOK AT HIS NICE HOME HE LIVES IN.

Thanks for the compliment Mig.

i agree something should be done with the owner but people chose to live there. not sure if they complained or knew the proper way.im sure a lot of people know who he is or if he ever lost any sleep in this building.but 2 fires in a month is suspious in anyones mind i would think.

and yes great photos photoguy. i’d like to start learning to use my camera the way u can i know how to point and click but i know theres way more to do lol

Touche bro, touche…

I never said it was an eyesore.

sure bad things have gone on there… wasn’t an eyesore though.

I just think people don’t like something that isn’t familiar with them… most of us have it nice, a warm home… a sturdy roof over our head.

ehh…I’ve said like 1/3 of what I wanna say…

Rupertites have been complaining about that place for years.  The owner took full advantage as was mentioned earlier of the circumstances the tenants were in, most were evicted from other places in town for various reasons, drugs, alcohol etc. and the Inlander was a last resort, unfortunately. The owner, and we know who you are, is a parasite, charging those tenants in excess of $350. per month for a shit-hole and obviously cared less of the conditions they were living in.  Suspicious fire, yeah, quite a coincidence actually.  Glad it’s gone, you bet as long as no one was hurt.  By the way, GREAT PHOTOS everyone , amazing work but then you guys always do great work. Thanks :smiley:

Yeah they did mention arson briefly over the scanner =o

Posted this update in our section as well. RCMP say arson is believed to be the cause, but the two fires are being treated as separate investigations: 

Prince Rupert RCMP say arson is believed to be the cause of a fire that gutted the Inlander Hotel on the night of March 4, exactly a month after a suspicious fire engulfed the lower level of the building.

Firefighters were on scene at around seven p.m. on March 4, and remained on the scene on Thursday morning to extinguish any hot spots. The front right corner of the building fell at approximately 8:40 p.m. and there was just a shell of the building standing late in the evening. By the morning, the front of the building was being brought down while smoke was still visible in some of the rooms.

bclocalnews.com/bc_north/the … 67133.html

cbc.ca/canada/british-columb … alcomments

I like how the CBC makes it seem that a business comparable to the Crest or the Coast burned down.

Thanks to the 3014 views to my webpage this past day. More viewers than the circulation of the Daily News on a paid day.

I watched a video on facebook, I can’t believe people actually cheered when the front of the building toppled over and almost landed on the firefighter. Cheering people? That was your fellow man, putting himself on the line for you all!!! (not on this board, but people in general) sigh I guess I just feel cheering and laughing is a weird reaction to a tragedy such as fire, no matter how much of an eyesore the building may be.

i didnt do any cheering but im happy to see it gone. wouldve hated to see a firefighter hurt. smell of smoke getting to me when i parked by the commercial to look. so u know they felt it pretty bad.

thank you to the firefighters for the hard work. just a good thing it didnt happen during the  guns and hoses game

I am pretty damn sure the firefighter (ALL OF THEM!) new that it was going to come down. You can see the wall buckling for awhile before it came down. Also people were cheering because it is awsome to see shit get burned to the ground, blown up or walls getting knocked down. Everyone on here plays they sympathetic card. Like who gives a fuck.

wow you sound like a great guy to hang out with and get all depressed

How do you figure that?  I have put the words that were used to describe the structure in bold - it is a pretty big leap to go from descriptors like ‘building’ or ‘hotel’ to the quality that is associated with the Crest and the Coast.

==========================================================
Officials are blaming arson for a fire that gutted the Inlander Hotel in downtown Prince Rupert, on B.C.'s north coast.
The blaze broke out around 7 p.m. PT Wednesday, and firefighters worked through the evening to extinguish it.
Damage to the building was extensive, but it appears no one was injured, officials said.
Police said they were looking for a number of suspects but did not release the exact cause of the fire.
The fire comes a month after a suspicious fire engulfed the lower level of the building.

It think it was more the lack of description that I was noticing.
I don’t think anyone really considered the inlander a “hotel”, at least not anymore.
I just threw the names coast and crest out there as examples of actual hotels.

Did you notice the sign out front??

Open air themed apartment for rent, Very large patio.  $450.00

He kinda remind me (sadly) the reason why I planned not to move back to Rupert after I finished school. First riots in local grocery stores and gas stations due to sheer ignorance that a mudside blocked off the “only” route out, and now blindly cheering the dangerously engulfed derelict building that could’ve killed somebody. Anarchy and selfishness must have trumped the traditional community spirit up there. X__X

I guess Crazymike had to remind me what colour the sky above me is… @__@

lot of ignorant people in this town that dont care. im not perfect but i try to help or care if i can lol

It’s not just this town. It’s everywhere, people don’t know how to care anymore. It’s every man for himself. THAT’S why you don’t see old ladys being helped across the street anymore. At least, I never do. So to say that the uncare, is regional, is wrong. It’s not Prince Rupert, it’s humanity.

Who gives a fuck? Would you not give a fuck if that firefighter actually got hit by debris? Playing the so called trump card of, “it’s his job”. He’s doing that job FOR YOU. For the citizens of Prince Rupert. As are Emergency responders all over the world. I’m not denying that it’s very interesting to watch a building burn, but show some respect, for the people who are keeping you out of danger, and for the building itself, which actually DOES have a history to it, it wasn’t always “the inlander”.
:smiley: