Inlander on fire again

is it still burning?

I have to say it saddened my heart a little to hear the big cheer when the section of the front with the “hotel” sign on it crashed to the ground. Although the Inlander has been an eyesore and thorn under the skin of those who have been attempting beautification projects, it is still a piece of our history. It held memories and stories and for many it was a home until recently…

Like…???  

I was down there, picking up from the airplane bus.  People running around laughing, hoping it would burn down.  They might be bad apartments,  but are still homes to peole who have no other alternative.  Where will they go?

No one has been living there since the last fire required it to be declared unsafe. All of those people have been relocated.

To where and for how long.  Many people have been placed there because no other place will accept them.  So BC housing is forced to take them for now due to the last fire.  But for how long?  Rupert needs a proper place for these people.

numerous livable and clean and safe apartments are in town that are empty. recession or not there is still jobs . people that lived there chose to because of their bad choices in life now they can better themselves.and live somewhere safe.

I don’t think it’s so much “finding a place” as finding supports and mechanisms to assist with the bigger problems…

You have no idea.  Do you know people down there?
These people have real issues, Issues you and I will never have a clue as to what it is like.  Point being, most of them are just not employable. Lets see you grow up with the abuse, drugs, FAS, disability, no support from family or anyone who cares, then go out and get a job.  A lot have burnt their bridges as far a housing goes so there is little place for them to go.

Issues or not, bad choices or not, bad people or not–what does it matter? It’s not a show for the people who are losing everything they own and the roof over their heads. Despite the apparent agreement of, apparently, most residents of Rupert that the Inlander was an eyesore… that doesn’t mean the people who called it home deserve what’s happening.

i do have an idea. i know there is people with issues there , but it was 9 people in a building that size. thats rediculous it was a totally unsafe building healthwise and safety. this town always helps they will find a place . digby is near empty and however many other buildings they will find a place some already have. saying that building has history is one thing but every building runs its course and the inlander did years ago. the owner should be jailed for being a slumlord. no one deserves to lose a home but yes everyones excitement of losing this building . seems to overshadow people losing a home which is sad yes but they can get another roof . people persevere.

Did the building collapse or is it still standing?

still kinda half there. theyll have to tear it down way too much damage now

heres a video on youtube someone uploaded too

not sure how to embed the video ill just put the link

I’ll have a ton of photos going up on my photosite. www.flickr.com/zpaperboyz over the next few hours.

As far as the former tenants are concerned , they have been well taken care of by not only the Salvation Army, but I understand by BC Housing also.  I hate to say this, but it may have been the best thing to happen to them, providing they were unhurt and suffered no personal loss.  They are situated in better accommodation now, I believe there were only 7 tenants living in the Hotel, they are safe and can pick up and carry on.  They have a good support system , presently anyways.  I have to wonder though, with so few tenants in the building, how the hell did the owner pay the municipal taxes and the like and I wonder did he have fire insurance ? :wink:

Oh… And as to the “vultures” watching and taking pictures, I can always put a positive spin on things, we were down there recording the history that was being made tonight for future generations to remember, and stories to be passed on from one to another.

That’s my take on it anyhow and I’m sticking to it.

The people have been relocated after previous fire.  It was an eyesore … glad it’s down

a pic or two.

good job fire fighter dudes  :smile:

Morning after…

Photoguy has awesome photos at:

flickr.com/photos/zpaperboyz … 764116821/