Idle No More Prince Rupert Flash Mob Sunday Dec 30th 2012

It took me 2 yrs to save up n I had no help

Since we are now talking money, can a first nation person explain to us honestly what they receive in funds from their nation monthly?

how much money would a band member receive??

I think its pretty evident across the country that…whomever is power in local band politics or whomever is related to that person in power are the people receiving the most $$$$…

Idk dude I paid my way

I wish I could get em

[quote=“hitest”]Interesting article:

Harper should set aside political pride – and meet with Theresa Spence[/quote]

Prime Minister Harper should not meet with Spence. To do so would set an extremely bad precedent. The present and any future Canadian governments do not need every crackpot with a cause using the threat of suicide to subvert government process.

Hmmm might just wait for my chief, it’s not all about my stance, or urs but us injins don’t hv free range like u think

I might not agree with what she is doing but for all u fools that think natives have life served up on a platter think again, u think we have free taxes, fuck that, u dudes think we get a whole $0,12 on the dollar, wow big whoop, n we don’t but even if holy smokes haha I’d trade the 12% for all the assholes thinking we r getting a free ride

Smokes n gas, that’s it o ya big tickets too

But ya what mcsash said, only the few family members in council get funded , y do u think they’res only so many family names, kinda fucked when its one family member that says u do or don’t get funded

I gave up after the 2nd yr n paid my own way, was dumb when I found out about student loans though

[quote=“Dex”]
Prime Minister Harper should not meet with Spence. To do so would set an extremely bad precedent. The present and any future Canadian governments do not need every crackpot with a cause using the threat of suicide to subvert government process.[/quote]

I would say that the Prime Minister agrees with your point of view. We may be witnessing historical precedent being played out before us. If Chief Spence sticks with her hunger strike I would say that the PM is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Wish fulfilled, Prime Minister to meet with First Nations Leaders January 11th

news.nationalpost.com/2013/01/04 … -protests/

^What a shame…what SHRED of respect I had left for Harper is gone now that he has agreed to meet with this ridiculous woman!

The Idle No More movement is perhaps the most ridiculous yet from the Aboriginal community!

[quote=“bthedog”]^What a shame…what SHRED of respect I had left for Harper is gone now that he has agreed to meet with this ridiculous woman!

The Idle No More movement is perhaps the most ridiculous yet from the Aboriginal community![/quote]

Not sure that you should throw the PM under the bus, I’m not actually sure if Chief Spence is part of those meetings, but even if she is, he’s trying to defuse a rather sticky situation.

Guy can’t seem to win no matter what he does.

What is interesting is that the Chief refuses to end her hunger strike, that should be the focus of some of the discussion here perhaps.

unbelievable ,AND the supposed hunger strike continues even though highest political leader in the country gives in to her demands??

its just like those primates at the zoo…who get fed and then throw shit at the zoo keeper AND the public…

I and sincerely I mean no negative implications in this post BUT…she got what she wanted…a meeting with none other than the PM and the antics still go on.
UNBELIEVABLE…

I think that you’ve pretty much called it right, except that much or most of the credit for defusing the situation - at least somewhat - should probably go to Shawn Atleo of the Assembly of First Nations (AFN) rather than to Harper.

Atleo called the meeting and Harper has agreed to meet with him and his delegation. The meeting is scheduled for January 11, not within 72 hours as Chief Spence had demanded. It doesn’t look like the Governor General and Premier Dalton McGuinty will be there, so those demands were not met. The meeting is framed as a follow-up from one last year to address aboriginal and treaty rights and economic development, so the meeting will not just be about her issues, which frankly seem rather obscure in the wider scheme of things, considering that there are outstanding questions about audits and how money has been spent in Attawapiskat under her administration.

Harper did not agree to meet with Chief Spence. The CBC reports Harper as saying that the AFN will “determine the composition of their own delegation.” So Chief Spence will likely be there, but on Atleo’s say so, not because Harper agreed to meet with her.

These details are all in the CBC story, which (not surprisingly) has better coverage than the National Post article cited earlier.
cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2 … ml?cmp=rss

On balance, I think that Chief Spence has been out-maneuvered, largely by Atleo and the AFN working with the PM’s office. That doesn’t mean that her hunger strike and various issues are going away, but she doesn’t have quite the podium or the same degree of control of the agenda as she has had up until now.

[quote=“mcsash”]unbelievable ,AND the supposed hunger strike continues even though highest political leader in the country gives in to her demands??

its just like those primates at the zoo…who get fed and then throw shit at the zoo keeper AND the public…

I and sincerely I mean no negative implications in this post BUT…she got what she wanted…a meeting with none other than the PM and the antics still go on.
UNBELIEVABLE…[/quote]

Sure worked up over whether or not some one you dont know is eating, go buy her a burger and get over it. How the hell does it affect you anyway

your right in a way pokerjunkie…BUT due to the actions of ms spence and the highly public campaign of idle no more, to which ms spence has magnified immensely she has gained notoriety. She has become a “poplular” public official.

I wouldn’t spare the few loonies to buy someone a happy meal who has a household income, TAX free income at that .close to $300,000.00

It does affect me as a Canadian in the way she has portrayed an democratically elected government on the world level.

[quote=“mcsash”]your right in a way pokerjunkie…BUT due to the actions of ms spence and the highly public campaign of idle no more, to which ms spence has magnified immensely she has gained notoriety. She has become a “poplular” public official.

I wouldn’t spare the few loonies to buy someone a happy meal who has a household income, TAX free income at that .close to $300,000.00

It does affect me as a Canadian in the way she has portrayed an democratically elected government on the world level.[/quote]

Sooooo you just have nothing else to complain about ????