Idle No More Prince Rupert Flash Mob Sunday Dec 30th 2012

Tomorrow (Dec 30th 2012) RBC Bank Mall Entrance 2PM
Calling all drummers, singers, and dancers! Dress in Regalia, and have drums in hand, posters, whatever! Make some noise and come and dance with us. This is a peaceful, and spirit lifting event in solidarity with Chief Spence and the Idle No More movement.

Northern View had this report on the event of Sunday

thenorthernview.com/breaking … 29852.html

While twitter had some reviews as well

mobile.twitter.com/JoannaLLarson

mobile.twitter.com/BakerGeorgeT

In most formal posts like a Prime Minister’s, one would normally ask/request through certain protocols to meet with the leader of a country,… not demand he come to her tent. Fight the good fight but do get with the times.

This is Canada. People have the right to organize, demonstrate, and protest in a manner of their choosing. You knew that, correct?

Of course I do and I encourage civil protest for such an important issue; I stand by my comments and she should continue to fight the good fight.

[quote=“hitest”]

This is Canada. People have the right to organize, demonstrate, and protest in a manner of their choosing. You knew that, correct?[/quote]

Including the threat of suicide?

A hunger strike is just like a child holding their breath until they get their way. If the media stayed away it wouldn’t happen.

I disagree with your analogy. A hunger strike (starvation) is self-directed violence which can permanently damage organs and metabolism from malnutrition long before the “participant” dies. The worst that can happen to a child holding their breathe is getting dizzy, becoming unconscious and returning to involuntary respiration.

[quote=“Dex”]

I disagree with your analogy. A hunger strike (starvation) is self-directed violence which can permanently damage organs and metabolism from malnutrition long before the “participant” dies. The worst that can happen to a child holding their breathe is getting dizzy, becoming unconscious and returning to involuntary respiration.[/quote]

Yes, but it seems to me that most hunger strikers eventually give it up. Why not say “if you won’t listen to me I will jump in front of the next bus”, or some other quick measure.

[quote=“crazy Horse”]
Yes, but it seems to me that most hunger strikers eventually give it up. Why not say “if you won’t listen to me I will jump in front of the next bus”, or some other quick measure.[/quote]

Is this what you would prefer?

savetibet.org/resource-cente … fact-sheet

I am guessing that Tibetan have realized that hunger strikes would be ignored by the Chinese government so they have resorted to this method. I was shocked to see how many people have killed themselves in the cause to free Tibet.

I am hoping that the Canadian government can find a way to address the issue that Chief Spence’s hunger strike is bringing to the public’s attention before we reach a point where people feel so lost that they would resort to sudden death as their only means of protest.

We can argue the pros and cons of the Idle No More protest and the form it is taking. We can argue the pros and cons of the solutions. I make no pretense at understanding the issue so completely that I can say this is right or wrong. But, I am pretty safe in saying that it is an issue that certainly needs addressing and I don’t think setting yourself on fire or starving yourself to death needs to occur before the government feels compelled to act.

I suspect that Chief Spence exhausted other less extreme methods trying to open a dialogue with government officials. I truly hope that she does not permanently damage her health(I am guessing that she is aware of the risks). I hope that the government responds before she becomes gravely ill.

[quote=“DWhite”]

No, of course not. I was only suggesting that hunger strikes are more for attention getting than killing ones self to make a point. We live in a democracy where if you don’t like something you vote for change. If the majority of people don’t agree with you, then tough luck.

[quote=“hitest”]

I suspect that Chief Spence exhausted other less extreme methods trying to open a dialogue with government officials. I truly hope that she does not permanently damage her health(I am guessing that she is aware of the risks). I hope that the government responds before she becomes gravely ill.[/quote]

And if they do then every crackpot with a cause will expect the same response. We have elected representatives and courts to deal with important issues. Use them.

Indeed. Democracy works, albeit slowly.

I guess the point of the protest is that those “idle” methods haven’t worked in the past. Hence, “Idle no more.”

For example, which methods would you suggest to stop the government from spending $50 million to close the Experimental Lakes Area, just to save $2 million? I doubt any method would work, would it?

Some interesting point/counterpoints in relation to the events of the last few weeks

cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/s … kades.html
fullcomment.nationalpost.com/201 … forgotten/
vancouverobserver.com/politi … le-no-more
torontosun.com/2012/12/24/ti … -of-misery
canada.com/mobile/iphone/sto … id=7760983

It seems that it’s always helpful to consider all sides of a discussion. As they say, the more you know.

a hunger strike eh?

well shes drinking water AND fish broth…(my bet is someone is sneaking her crackers)

she aint going any anytime soon…and most of the time governments wont give into attention getting actions.

[quote=“mcsash”]a hunger strike eh?

well shes drinking water AND fish broth…(my bet is someone is sneaking her crackers)

she aint going any anytime soon…and most of the time governments wont give into attention getting actions.[/quote]

Apparently you can last up to 40 days without solid food. Not sure about meal replacements though.

hunger strikers can last 53 - 74 days with out food.

but the past history of hunger strikers all of the world is usually due to a group being highly suppressed.

GANDI in india

Bobby Sands and the IRA - Northern Ireland.

Ms spence and her “people” are not anywhere suffering as the like of the above 2 mentioned groups. MS spences group live in a democratic country that is the envy of more than 80% of the world.
This hunger strike is giving Canada a black eye throughout the world.

End it and return to the democratic process rather than trying to disgrace Canadians as a whole. The other option is civil war and we have seen throughout history where that leads.

[quote=“mcsash”]
End it and return to the democratic process rather than trying to disgrace Canadians as a whole. [/quote]

You have voiced your displeasure regarding her actions. That is your democratic right. It offends you, but Chief Spence has the democratic right to protest in a manner of her choosing (hunger strike). She is not breaking any laws that I am aware of.
Canada is a wonderful country.