Idle No More Prince Rupert Flash Mob Sunday Dec 30th 2012

that’s the beauty of democracy.

BUT all im saying is that hunger strikes are usually used to protest a gross injustice of a certain ethnic/political/religious group.

I support people when they protest what they believe to be injustices…but a hunger strike in Canada is just a tar on the nation.

[quote=“mcsash”]that’s the beauty of democracy.

BUT all im saying is that hunger strikes are usually used to protest a gross injustice of a certain ethnic/political/religious group.

I support people when they protest what they believe to be injustices…but a hunger strike in Canada is just a tar on the nation.[/quote]

Indeed. I support your right to disagree with this action. Similarly, I support Chief Spence in her protest.
Agreed. Democracy is a beautiful thing.

Potential issues we will have to deal with in the days ahead? The polarization of our communities?

THE LAW PAGE
Junior mining firms in ‘revolt’ over native deals
JEFF GRAY - LAW REPORTER
THE GLOBE AND MAIL
Last updated Thursday, Sep. 06 2012, 1:01 PM EDT

Darryl Stretch, president and CEO of Solid Gold Resources, received a rare court injunction in January suspending drilling on claims near Lake Abitibi in Northern Ontario and ordering him to consult with the Wahgoshig First Nation.

On the sidelines of the mining industry’s massive annual conference in Toronto in early March, a group of disgruntled junior exploration companies held a private meeting.

Calling themselves Miners United, the ad-hoc group of about 60 small-firm executives shared concerns about the concessions and cash they say native bands expect from companies looking for minerals on Crown lands that are considered traditional aboriginal territory, where bands retain hunting and fishing rights. Scores of disputes between native groups and mining companies now end up in court.

A cautionary tale for the mining industry
Enbridge offered B.C. first nations cash to study pipeline
B.C. first nation reviews its Enbridge deal, others consider equity offers
A landmark 2004 Supreme Court of Canada decision said the Crown has a “duty to consult” native bands about development on Crown land that is considered part of a band’s traditional territory. Courts have allowed governments to delegate part of this duty to resource companies, many of whom then negotiate agreements with native groups.

But there is a growing backlash among junior miners about these agreements.

“There’s a revolt taking place, frankly,” said Neal Smitheman, a lawyer with Fasken Martineau DuMoulin LLP who acts for junior mining firms in disputes with aboriginal groups and who spoke at the Toronto meeting. “What’s being asked of them has nothing to do with consultation. It has everything to do with compensation.”

Confrontations between native bands and mining companies, particularly in Northern Ontario, have been increasing. However, the province’s long-awaited new Mining Act regulations, recently released in draft form, would alter Ontario’s “free entry” system of exploration on Crown land. Exploration companies would first have to file plans with the government and native groups, as well as seek permits in some cases, before drilling.

Meanwhile, conflicts continue. The Miners United meeting came just days after the Ontario government withdrew from exploration a large tract of Crown land about 600 kilometres north of Thunder Bay. The move was in response to opposition by the Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug First Nation, which has refused to allow mining on Crown land it considers its traditional territory.

The band, which saw six members go to jail for contempt of court for blocking drilling by Platinex Inc. in 2008, is still protesting against the presence of a junior mining company, God’s Lake Resources Inc., whose president and chief executive officer, Eduard Ludwig, attended the Miners United meeting.

Also at the meeting was Darryl Stretch, whose Solid Gold Resources Inc. was hit in January with a rare court injunction suspending his drilling on claims near Lake Abitibi in Northern Ontario and ordering him to consult with the nearby Wahgoshig First Nation.

Mr. Stretch, whose lawyer is Mr. Smitheman, has appealed the injunction and plans to launch a lawsuit against the Ontario government. He said a $1-million financing deal he had lined up fell through because of the controversy.

Mr. Stretch said the Wahgoshig wanted him to pay for a $100,000 archeological study to determine if his drill sites were disturbing burial grounds. He refused, saying Solid Gold could not afford it. He argues that his company has no legal requirement to consult the band. “It’s not my obligation to go find arrowheads for those people, period,” he said in a phone interview.

“If they don’t like you, you don’t work,” he said. “What kind of a deal is that? Because I didn’t do it right, the way the Indians wanted me to? Because I didn’t give them money? Because I didn’t beg them for permission to go? It’s just ridiculous, the whole concept.”

Chief David Babin of the Wahgoshig, which sought the injunction after a brief November meeting with the Solid Gold president resulted in an impasse, described Mr. Stretch’s comments as offensive.

“This guy has no intention of working with first nations people,” Chief Babin said in an interview, noting that his band has signed agreements with other exploration companies.

Some in the mining business sympathize with Mr. Stretch but question his uncompromising stance.

“There’s a bunch of us in the industry happy that someone takes a hard-line stand. He may be taking too rigid a stand,” said Garry Clark, executive director of the Ontario Prospectors Association. He also attended the meeting of Miners United, which he said may end up as a subcommittee of the OPA.

Mr. Clark said the prices that native bands are charging for exploratory drilling keep rising and often top $100,000. Junior exploration firms, with no revenue, cannot afford such prices, he said.

In some cases, exploration companies are paying per drill hole, or per metre of drilling, Mr. Clark said, adding that the Ontario government doesn’t know how much cash is changing hands because the deals are usually confidential.

Mr. Clark favours consultations with native groups, to ensure drilling operations do not disrupt hunting season, for example; or, once a mine is being built, to ensure local people benefit from its operations.

While he believes Ontario’s new rules may ease the disputes, he is not sure they will stop the flow of cash to native groups at the exploration stage: “They have to understand that we can’t be held, more or less, to ransom to get on the land.”
Online Help | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | © Copyright 2013 The Globe and Mail Inc. All rights reserved

I won’t pretend that I am totally up to speed on the specifics of Chief Spence’s protest, but I have some thoughts.

The Idle No More movement indicates that part of the issue is inequality in education. I can’t wrap my head around this one when First Nations have (in my opinion, I know there are those who’ll disagree) unfair amounts of access to money to get them through post-secondary.

Another thought: Is she not from Attawapiskat, the reserve that so poorly spent the 30 million plus dollars it received each year to the point that the awful conditions were national news?

As hitest says, she can ignore the process the rest of us have to follow and demand a face-to-face with the Prime Minister and engage in whatever protest she deems appropriate–but I don’t agree that Canada’s First Nations are oppressed, not anymore.

Ok, don’t pretend :smile:

Well, that might be one of the issues that others have raised, but the original intent of the movement was to protest stuff like the omnibus bill.

This has nothing to do with education or lack of , I believe they recieved help in 2012 when the housing problem came up . I do not believe that the leaders are being up front with their spending or is it once again being distributed among certain families . I think the Grand Chief or some other First Nation Leader should be allowed to check the books and talk with the power that be . Yes Mr. Harper should get his fat ass in there and meet with her about the situation at hand but stop blaming the different levels of government and own up for screwing your own people .

[quote=“hitest”]

I suspect that Chief Spence exhausted other less extreme methods trying to open a dialogue with government officials. I truly hope that she does not permanently damage her health(I am guessing that she is aware of the risks). I hope that the government responds before she becomes gravely ill.[/quote]

The Minister of Aboriginal Affairs John Duncan has tried several times to talk to Chief Theresa Spence but she has refused. I agree with DWhite, we live in a country with free press, free access to uncensored internet, the freedom to vote, and a democratic government, so there is absolutely no justifiable reason to protest using the threat of suicide. The main issue of bill C-45 (omnibus) needs to be addressed, discussed, protested, etc, but threatening suicide (violence) to circumnavigate a democratic process undermines the whole principle of protest.

[quote=“Dex”]
The Minister of Aboriginal Affairs John Duncan has tried several times to talk to Chief Theresa Spence but she has refused. I agree with DWhite, we live in a country with free press, free access to uncensored internet, the freedom to vote, and a democratic government, so there is absolutely no justifiable reason to protest using the threat of suicide. The main issue of bill C-45 (omnibus) needs to be addressed, discussed, protested, etc, but threatening suicide (violence) to circumnavigate a democratic process undermines the whole principle of protest.[/quote]

Chief Spence wishes to speak with someone who actually speaks for the government, that is, the Prime Minister. Chief Spence is not stupid. She is aware that Harper’s subordinates will not fully address her issues (she will not receive any firm commitments).
Also, as Harper has a majority he is not required to discuss or address any bills in parliament that he does not want to. Sure there will be debates, but, Harper can pass what he wants. Is this democratic? Yes. Canada will decide in 2015 if Harper has governed appropriately. Until election day Harper can do what he wants.
I don’t like what Chief Spence is doing, I worry about her health. And like you I would choose less extreme ways to protest. But, as it is Harper’s right to do what he wants in parliament it is also Chief Spence’s right to protest as she sees fit. I sincerely hope that Chief Spence does not get gravely ill. She is not breaking any laws. I hope this resolves itself.

[quote=“hitest”]

[quote=“Dex”]
The Minister of Aboriginal Affairs John Duncan has tried several times to talk to Chief Theresa Spence but she has refused. I agree with DWhite, we live in a country with free press, free access to uncensored internet, the freedom to vote, and a democratic government, so there is absolutely no justifiable reason to protest using the threat of suicide. The main issue of bill C-45 (omnibus) needs to be addressed, discussed, protested, etc, but threatening suicide (violence) to circumnavigate a democratic process undermines the whole principle of protest.[/quote]

Chief Spence wishes to speak with someone who actually speaks for the government, that is, the Prime Minister. Chief Spence is not stupid. She is aware that Harper’s subordinates will not fully address her issues (she will not receive any firm commitments).[/quote]

Soooo, Chief Spence expects resolution from the Canadian government , refuses to participate in the normal process of resolution, indicting preemptively and with prejudice the Minister John Duncan for inaction, and demands of the Prime Minister to appear before her in person or she will kill herself. Is this what you are suggesting?

[quote=“hitest”]
Also, as Harper has a majority he is not required to discuss or address any bills in parliament that he does not want to. Sure there will be debates, but, Harper can pass what he wants. Is this democratic? Yes. Canada will decide in 2015 if Harper has governed appropriately. Until election day Harper can do what he wants.
I don’t like what Chief Spence is doing, I worry about her health. And like you I would choose less extreme ways to protest. But, as it is Harper’s right to do what he wants in parliament it is also Chief Spence’s right to protest as she sees fit. I sincerely hope that Chief Spence does not get gravely ill. She is not breaking any laws. I hope this resolves itself.[/quote]

The financial statements of the Attawapiskat first nation from 2005 to 2011 can be found here. I would imagine 2012 will come soon.

attawapiskat.org/financial-statements/

hi test…you are contradicting your words from a earlier post where so say you support therese spence. now you say you don’t support/like whats shes doing and you fear for her health?? come on!!!

chief spence maybe smart but she pissed away so much money and her people were living in such horrific conditions that the federal govt had to step in and take over management of the band cause she and her councillours mismanaged.

is there reports of how much weight she has lost?..I still think that true hunger strikers will drink only water…not crackers and fish broth.

hi test…you are contradicting your words from a earlier post where so say you support therese spence. now you say you don’t support/like whats shes doing and you fear for her health?? come on!!!

chief spence maybe smart but she pissed away so much money and her people were living in such horrific conditions that the federal govt had to step in and take over management of the band cause she and her councillours mismanaged.

is there reports of how much weight she has lost?..I still think that true hunger strikers will drink only water…not crackers and fish broth.

[quote=“mcsash”]hi test…you are contradicting your words from a earlier post where so say you support therese spence. now you say you don’t support/like whats shes doing and you fear for her health?? come on!!!
[/quote]

I can say I support her and also not like what she’s doing. I support her right to protest, but I don’t like the fact that she’s damaging her health (so yeah, I don’t like what she’s doing). Would I prefer that she protested in a different way? Yes. But, I fully support her right to protest in a manner of her choosing.

You’ve made it very clear that you do not approve of her actions. Noted. Chief Spence and the Prime Minister have dug in their heals on this issue. I have no read on how this will play out.

Interesting article:

Harper should set aside political pride – and meet with Theresa Spence

Fold this into you muddling minds.
torontosun.com/videos/2069323531001

all I can say to that video clip is holy shit!!!
he confirmed everything I thought…I thought it was myself speaking. don’t get me wrong I am NOT pro Harper.

but did you see her face after 23 days hunger striking compared to other past notorious hunger strikers?..she continues to eat fast food behind the scenes.

Theresa spence has duped all Canadians and the world. she is a disgrace to the “idle no more” movement. the movement has nothing anymore.

find a new movement I say and go about things in a proper manner. Donations to the movement via face book into her manager bf’s account who makes $850 per day tax free???

I have never been so disgusted in my life.

where is the grand chief of the assembly of first nations Shawn Atleo?..This story is a complete disgrace and is in the same bracket as the financial Ponzi scams of years gone

I believe that the village should be looked at by the Grand Chief and yes Harper should get his fat ass there to meet with her instead of flying all over the world trying to score a job for his future .I know that your uncle would have felt the very same way on this one.

ok my two cents …too all those bitching about the issue at hand do some fact checking on the issues… Its just more then a native issue. Bill C-45 is about all canadains and the impact it has on everyone who is a canadain . Under Harper Canada has also has been chastised by the United nations on Human Rights violations. So again before bitching look at Bill C-45 and C-10 and the other bills that he is trying to pass… I’m Proud to be a Canadain but Im ashamed of this Goverment…

I’m also proud to be Canadian. We have a great country. I also find much of what Harper does to be shameful. The people will have their say again in October 2015.