Htmf ftw omfgbbq

so, I can’t write out a perfect essay, I don’t use proper “grammer” I may add a few too many letters to my words.  Perhaps don’t do page breaks to all my paragraphs, or even give in to all the hype.  I’m not here to prove anything, i’m looking for new friends, or any enemies.  However I notice with all the bickering going on in different posts, I add my two bits now and then.  It would seem they aren’t wanted.  most of my postings have been deleted or revoked, I find myself not able to post on open topics, posts removed.  perhaps HTMF doesn’t like my blunt truth of “this is a useless topic” I’m sorry if the lot of you are bored and come here to vent your troubles.  but why should I be singled out? am I alone? can I be like “whattodonow” and come here looking for pity? OH PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME I’M SO LOST oh heavens to betsy please take pity on my poor poor soul lol I wouldn’t be suprised if this topic too was deleted.  i’ve have numerous accounts deleted “account name not found” when I try logging in.  poor noobs, maybe if I come here and bitch about things I can’t change and pretend i’m worried about my community and “drugs” “wolves” “teens” “skateboarding” garbage" I too will be accepted? ahhh one can only wish,  or maybe I should go back to grade ?? 11? and learn how to write an perfect essay, with proper grammer, and perfect wording, page breaks? what ever it is that makes other accepted in this virtual community.  which is at times all too funny,  I spend most of my time reading posts, and occasionally click “reply” until recently I found that that “tab/button” is gone!! omfgbbqh4x@Lcoptor. 

NO SOUP FOR YOU! COME BACK ONE YEAR!.. I SAID ONE YEAR!!! AHH I LOVE WATCHING RE-RUNS

You just posted in another thread that you are looking for activities to do in Prince Rupert? Perhaps you should look into keyboarding and remedial English.

Honestly, I don’t mean to flame here (at least, not very much), but I got lost in that wall of text after about two sentences.

If you’re not going to take the time to make your posts readable, it stands to reason that others might not take the time to read them.

On a completely unrelated note: MiG, I think that a “hall of fame” of sorts would be a welcome addition to HTMF. The most incendiary “zomg this forum impedes my civil rights!!1!” could be enshrined forever.

What is it you’re complaining about?  Not being able to post?  Sometimes you can’t post because a thread is locked.  That means nobody can post, not just you.

We generally don’t delete posts either (unless they have absolutely zero value, and that’s rare, since even the worse jleaman vs. jesus posts have some entertainment value).  Bad posts tend to be moved into the wasteland.

But anyway, clearly you can post here. 

Think about this though:  people here judge you based on what you write.  This is the only impression of you that they have.  Unless they know you personally outside of HTMF, they’ll base their opinion of you on what you write and how you write it. 

Remember the old CB Radio days?  You’d meet people on the radio and be part of a community, etc.  But unless you knew a person in real life, you’d base our opinion of that person on how they sounded.  I was always surprised to find that people were nothing like they sounded.

HTMF is that way too.  I’ve changed my initial opinions of people after I’ve met them.  But until you meet someone outside of HTMF, all you have to judge them on is how they write, and how they compose sentences and paragraphs. 

Or how they spell grammar.

A few of your sentences are a bit confusing.  If you edit the writing your message will be easier to understand.  No offense intended.  Some of your content is quite funny. :smile:

Doesn’t the content and/or meaning of their comments count for anything at all?
This is a bit too scholastic in my estimation.

And by extention, will we stop listening to a person’s comment because he/she happens to speak with a foreign accent.  I’ve met many a Newfie in my days and while I thought that their accent was a bit of an oddity at times, I have always found in me the courtesy to focus on the content of their speach instead of the manner of their delivery.

If you can’t parse meaning from the comments, then how are you supposed to make them count?
We’re not expecting perfection, no. 

Well, think of Rex Murphy, or Prince Rupert’s CBC radio guy Russell, or General Rick Hillier – they  have Newfoundland accents.  So do I.  But you can still understand our language, because we’re not using the Newfoundland dialect.

Now imagine that Rex Murphy or whoever stutters, and can’t seem to find the proper words, or their words don’t make sense, or they use sentences with no verbs.  That’s a different story then, isn’t it?

Your example of a Newfoundland accent is a good one, though, but I’d say that problems would occur when people use the dialect rather than just the accent.

That’s what happens on web forums – it’s not the perfection people are seeking, it’s the understanding.  If the way you write keeps people from reading your message, then you might as well be speaking in another dialect altogether.

Just as example, I’m going to post this entire message again.

If you cant parse meaning from the comments then how are you supposed to
make them count Were not expecting perfection no    And by extention
will we stop listening to a persons comment because he she happens to
speak with a foreign accent  Ive met many a Newfie in my days and while
I thought that their accent was a bit of an oddity at times I have
always found in me the courtesy to focus on the content of their speach
instead of the manner of their delivery Well think of Rex Murphy or
Prince Ruperts CBC radio guy Russell or General Rick Hillier they
have Newfoundland accents  So do I  But you can still understand our
language because were not using the Newfoundland dialect Now imagine
that Rex Murphy or whoever stutters and cant seem to find the proper
words or their words dont make sense or they use sentences with no verbs
Thats a different story then isnt it Your example of a Newfoundland
accent is a good one though but Id say that problems would occur when
people use the dialect rather than just the accent Thats what happens on
web forums its not the perfection people are seeking its the
understanding  If the way you write keeps people from reading your
message then you might as well be speaking in another dialect altogether
Just as example Im going to post this entire message again

My Grammar made the best banana cream pie.

You’re 100% right Miguel and I do get your point.  :smile:

And–as for myself–that is the reason why I try my best to write in a way/manner that would bring about clarity and ease of reading.

I guess we can only hope that we all get the hint and produce a more enjoyable reading experience for all concerned.

As for my French…well, I’ll try even harder. :smile:

By the way, what does “HTMF FTW OMFGBBQ” stands for?

If you go to: canada.com/  you will see that General Rick Hillier is reading HTMF

I’ve noticed that Hillier adjusts his accent sometimes, its weird.  Though he doesn’t really use any Newfoundland dialect (that I’ve heard), he does turn his accent up and down depending on the audience.

When he was on Rick Mercer’s show (another Newfoundlander who uses the accent, but rarely the dialect) it was barely noticeable.

Now Rex Murphy has been pretty consistent with his accent.  Its always present.  But that doesn’t mean he throws out the rules of language.

What does “HTMF FTW OMFGBBQ” stands for?

Rick Mercer is funny. Hands down funny. I’m always amazed at what he gets politicians in Ottawa to do. He was there a few weeks ago and did a skit about the language of politics. He managed to get a bunch of ministers in various situations and got all of them to say ‘Dude’. At the end of the skit even Harper made an appearance and came up behind him and said ‘Dude’.

Something like that would never happen in the States.

The stuff he gets to do and the places in Canada he gets to go is really cool. I think sometimes even he is surprised at the things he gets to do and say.

Mercer should be required watching by all Canadians.

I’m also liking JPod too.

(oh and sorry for the thread hijack)

[quote]I have always found in me the courtesy to focus on the content of their speach instead of the manner of their delivery.
[/quote]

There ya go:

[quote=“WhatTheHack!”]
By the way, what does “HTMF FTW OMFGBBQ” stands for?[/quote]

Great example to make the point.

Please explain further.

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/259/1202666100024xy5.jpg

http://accent.gmu.edu/browse_atlas.php

and

http://www.soundcomparisons.com/

LoL, Thanks for the replies.  I was up late got bored and made this post when I was quite sleepy.

it was meant more as a joke then a real topic, just another one of my “this topic is useless” attempts. 

I don’t have any real problems with HTMF it’s a good read, and a lot of interesting people, while I still don’t remember much from school about writing.

I’ll just pretend I do and hit “enter” twice every time I stop so you get those neat little breaks, and it seems less of a run on sentence from hell.

Thanks for all the speedy replies everyone.  “NO SOUP FOR YOU COME BACK ONE YEAR, I SAID ONE YEAR!!!”

Ah - that is so much easier to read. Thanks V!]2u$

But really - what does HTMF FTW OMFGBBQ stand for?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/

HTMF FTW OMFGBBQ = Hacking The Main Frame Fck The What Oh My Fckin G*d Bar-B-Que.

get it? like I said I was bored. and often repeat the same sentence more then once, often in the same paragraph.

the FTW is just a mirror image of WTF. fairly simple, often misunderstood. not big meaning around the name.

just something I thought of spur of the moment.  have a nice night now, I am off to work.