Has Harper started his contingency plan for Enbridge?

I want to share a story with you from Vancouver Sun: The northern B.C. first nation chief who signed a controversial deal to support Enbridge’s $5.5-billion oil pipeline has been appointed by the federal government to the Prince Rupert Port Authority.

(See the full text at vancouversun.com/news/Contro … story.html)

Check out the firm’s areas of expertise in the article.
This would be a sneaky way to award a controversial pipeline project to an aboriginally-owned company under the federal aboriginal procurement strategy, and re-locate it to a coastal reserve.

vancouversun.com/business/Fi … story.html

Last April, Island tug & Barge signed a partnership agreement with 2 Coast Tsimshian First Nations groups. With aboriginal procurement expertise, is it is not reasonable to think that environmental assessments, engineering contracts, pipeline contracts, dock development, complete with aboriginally-controlled tug support for freighters might be forthcoming in the forseeable future (like before the next federal election?) on certain Coast Tsimshian reserves, complete with the blessings of certain Coast Tsimshian Bands and the Port’s Board?

Kinda makes me go, “Hmmm?”

Call me Paranoid, if you like, but I think Harper is more cunning than he appears.

Ya Think !!! I think what ever Stephen wants he gets…by any means possible. He doesn’t give a rat’s ass about us. Plus this area will never vote PC, so we have that against us.

No need for a contingency plan when he’s gonna ram it down our throat whether we like it or not.

He needs a plan B in case the project gets delayed long enough to become a federal election issue. He’s putting all the Plan B pieces into place, I think. Call it ‘insurance’ for his big buddy promises. I also think you’re right about the throat job, so I think he’s taking out ‘personal promise insurance’ for his spare time after the next federal election.

Speaking of elections, why are the federal AND provincial ‘GREEN’ PARTY’ members so silent? Now would be a good time for them to start unveiling their ‘save the planet while Canada continues to export raw materials’, yada,yada.

The NDP are beating them to the punch (Good for them!), so my rain-drenched little mind thinks that the Greenies will be playing catchup on their own platforms, federally and provincially!

That rant must have been caused by the sudden rise of swamp gas due to a few days without rain. I’m soaking my head in a shower next, which might help.

PS I can’t believe HTMF Rupertites are more upset about a trivial MoneySense article than Harper’s Plan A and its contingencies. Must be the lack of recent rain. Sunshine makes us happy and forgiving.

I wasn’t still upset with the money sense thing,lol,that was a few years back, but it is where I posted the idea of having tourist being able to have an area to watch people process fish, and the idea of having tourist having access to watch a gillnet fisherman fish.
I am sure there are many native fisherman with nice boats who would be willing to take a couple tourist on board for 1 set (hourish time frame)for x amount of dollars because where else can a tourist actually go on a commercial fishing boat, especially nowadays with the popularity of The deadliest Catch.
Not sure the if there is a legal issue with having a tourist going out on a boat food fishing and paying for that priveledge, or if it would have to be a donation :smile:

Yeah, I think that is his plan of action. It could get nasty.

[quote=“hitest”]

Yeah, I think that is his plan of action. It could get nasty.[/quote]

thankfully everyone against the pipeline has been branded an environmental extremist/terrorist and we have special laws for terrorists.

I’ve never had much faith in “democracy”. Quite frankly, it’s a corrupted system. It also suffers from voter apathy. Most citizens are just too damn lazy to speak out on stuff they don’t like. Your silence is taken as permission to continue.

You want change, you better put down your ballot and pick up a rock…

x

Are you American? What you’re saying is that we should kill people we disagree with?

Revolution? Seriously? Advocating violence is a stupid thing to do.

[quote=“DHCollins”]I’ve never had much faith in “democracy”. Quite frankly, it’s a corrupted system. It also suffers from voter apathy. Most citizens are just too damn lazy to speak out on stuff they don’t like. Your silence is taken as permission to continue.

You want change, you better put down your ballot and pick up a rock…

x[/quote]

I assume you’re an anarchist. Am I right?

Destroying democracy rather than improving is incredibly retarded, and a big insult to those served in WW1 and 2.

I’m not sure I understand the logic.

Is it: “I’m too lazy to vote, so I better use violence to get my way.”

Or

“Everyone else is too lazy to vote the way I want, so I better use violence to get my way.”

At a certain point when we are ignored violence becomes mandatory but not until all other options have been exhausted. We are not at that point YET but if we keep down this road then either us or our children may need to violently take back our democracy. Hopefully not but we’re on a bad road.

The americans… well they are pretty much there.

[quote=“jesus”]At a certain point when we are ignored violence becomes mandatory but not until all other options have been exhausted. We are not at that point YET but if we keep down this road then either us or our children may need to violently take back our democracy. Hopefully not but we’re on a bad road.

The americans… well they are pretty much there.[/quote]

I will agree that the veneer of democracy that we live with is getting paper thin. I do have a problem with a revolutionary approach to reform. Who decides when the government is brought down? Does the revolution accurately reflect the will of the people? Democracy is in a sorry state in Canada, but, it is the best method for determining the will of the people at the present time.

Really if you look at the bigger picture…It’s the people of British Columbia and not all but a good majority that do not want any kind of pipeline either here or in the lower mainland. But the rest of Canada and especially Alberta want these projects to go thru. The rest of Canada do not give a shit about what happens here, they wouldn’t stand beside us in support against the tyranny of Stephen Harper’s government. As long as the Conservatives are in power nothing will change and I believe that they will win the next few elections.

I think you might be right, but, three years is a long time in Federal politics (a lot can happen). I am hopeful that Mulcair will be able to keep building on Jack Layton’s legacy.

You want to know why nobody here in Alberta didn’t really care about BC? One is very obvious, but the other is due to the fact national media didn’t cover it enough to make it a serious national issue. Ask any Albertans who are not from BC nor an oil exec, they know little about the Northern Gateway pipeline let alone the environmental impacts it will cause.

TL;DR: Ordinary Albertans are generally clueless.

PS: I voted against a Wildrose candidate in my riding.

[quote=“hitest”]

We are not at that point YET but if we keep down this road then either us or our children may need to violently take back our democracy. Hopefully not but we’re on a bad road.

The americans… well they are pretty much there.

I will agree that the veneer of democracy that we live with is getting paper thin. I do have a problem with a revolutionary approach to reform. Who decides when the government is brought down? Does the revolution accurately reflect the will of the people? Democracy is in a sorry state in Canada, but, it is the best method for determining the will of the people at the present time.[/quote]

Revolution is a personal decision and when enough people decide that step is needed the government will be brought down. Think of it like a reverse election :wink: