Gordo is at Museum of NBC today at noon

That still isn’t an excuse for a mediocre ship building industry in BC.  Plus, an economic “multiplier” effect in Vancouver where I assume the ships would be built would probably have next to know stimulus effect in Prince Rupert.  The fact that the Northern Expedition was completed in time for the Summer season is probably going to have a way bigger economic effect on Rupert than having the ships built in BC but finished months or years later than expected.  That’s the same excuse the NDP used for the fast ferries.  “Oh, the ship’s might be unusable but at least we put some people to work”. 

I think the issue comes down to whether BC Ferries is viewed as a firm (that happens to be publically owned) that like most firms manages to its own bottom line, including by buying ferries in Germany or a used Greek ferry. That is clearly the Liberal view.

The NDP’s view, like Social Credit when they established BC Ferries, is that it is a publically owned service that serves both community and economic interests in BC; a “marine highway” and a business that “shops local” when it needs new ships. I know that Gary Coons has been outspoken about this issue. I imagine that candidate Pond takes an opposing view.  

[quote=“Creaking Door”]The NDP’s view, like Social Credit when they established BC Ferries, is that it is a publically owned service that serves both community and economic interests in BC; a “marine highway” and a business that “shops local” when it needs new ships. I know that Gary Coons has been outspoken about this issue. I imagine that candidate Pond takes an opposing view.  
[/quote]

You’d think so, right?  But ask him about his views on Citywest, and all of a sudden he’s not such a Liberal.  Prince Rupert on the verge of bankruptcy, and Herb Pond buys a cable company.  Because it serves the community and economic interests of Prince Rupert, I guess.  Do as I say, not as I do.

There is a news story buried in the CBC technology section regarding concerns that a growing number of private run of the river power developments are contravening environmental regulations. 
cbc.ca/technology/story/2009 … jects.html

Should be a front page story, given the prominence of that issue in the current election.

citywest is the only thing making this city money. cruise ship terminal is a joke money woulda been better used spent on the container terminal

Are you sure that citywest is making the city money, they haven’t been over generous in the dividend department of late and tend not to disclose much of their financials owing to their “competitive concerns”.

Buying the cable operation for the northwest added debt to the company, not so sure that the return has been quite worth that expenditure, but again we don’t know as they don’t seem to disclose the figures.

they gave the city 1 million this year and 2 million the year before exactly how much is enough to you? they disclosed it in the paper at the time.worst move the city could do is selling citywest. every month they get more customers for cable and phone in places like  terrace kitimat thornhill and outerlying communities its not just rupert that they serve its bigger than what most people think

I think the point is that the BC Liberals are big on privitizing of publicly-owned companies.  You know, that whole bit about government shouldn’t be competing with private enterprise?    I’m sure more than one local BC Liberal did a double-take when Herb backed the expansion of Citywest.

Listen to him speaking about BC Rail or any other public company, and substitute Citywest and see how it sounds.

bc rail needed to be sold to cn to have an easier flow on rail for containers would be chaos if it didnt happen

It gives me great pleasure seeing the news from Vancouver at noon where the courts are demanding to see the emails from about 17 Liberal MLAs in regards to the BC Rail and Gordo’s band of merry men. Nail the suckers and make an example out of them. I have also just received a call from the Pond show and if I did not respect the fact that it was a young lady calling I would of given her shit but I just hung up.Pond getting kids to do his dirty work and once again proves he is unable to do real work as seen throughout the years.

So if it was an old lady, you would have given her shit? Do you generally ask phone solicitors their age before deciding whether to go on a rant? It’s pretty standard across the board for politicians to get volunteers of all ages to petition for them. And furthermore, I’m pretty sure she wasn’t a kid being forced into the “dirty work” but rather someone of her own mind that chose to be politically active. That’s not at all a valid argument against Pond being “unable to do real work”.

I don’t think you’ve swayed anyone away from the Liberals or Pond yet. Good thing you’re not a lawyer.

Citywest needs to be sold to Telus (or Bell or Rogers) to have an easier flow on data and easier access for telecommunications for the Northwest. 

Not that I agree with that, but see how it fits?

Anyway, selling BC Rail is one thing, but taking bribes and kickbacks and involving drug trafficking and payoffs is another thing.

I’m happy to volunteer, as are the other people Mr Pond has helping with his campaign.

Howbout next time, no matter who it is, just say “Sorry, I’m not supporting the Liberals, please don’t call again.” Why would you even take the time to “give her shit”?

Yeah, this whole they-are-the-enemy-scumbag mentality is ridiculous. While I am voting for Gary, I know plenty of people who are voting Liberal but that doesn’t mean I’ve stopped talking to them or think they’re stupid or ripped them about it. I’ll debate some of the issues with them but I won’t attack their intelligence or character. And to verbally abuse volunteers, well, that is something I would hope most on either side of the debate would agree is totally uncalled for.

I’ve always liked City West (City Tel), but their finances are indeed somewhat shrouded in mystery, like so many other things in this fair town. Speculation, a few scraps of information and acrimony between posters seems to fill in the gaps when transparent government fails us.

City West definitely paid $2 million in dividends in 2007, although that sat on their books for a couple of years before they finally stroked a cheque. There is also a $1.5 million loan outstanding to the City which has been on the books for some time, bearing no interest, lost in time it seems. The 2007 financial statement shows that the directors planned to pay over $2 million in dividends in 2008, but whether that actually happened seems less certain - it is at the discretion of the directors (City appointees).

We might have to wait until the 2008 financials are published to know for sure, unless of course Jacko resumes his seat at the council table and enlightens us. I am quite sure I heard him blaring into a mic at Gordo’s first rally in PG a few weeks back. I have also heard he is at some ranch, although that seems odd for someone who was spawned on the Raincoast. Perhaps like Jack Kerouac he is out there “On The Road” where he spent some years as a wandering municipal consultant. I personally would like to think that like the Australian aborigines of old he has gone walkabout, on a vision quest of sorts, to kind try to figure out how to do his part to end our confusion and eternal bickerings by prying open the door to the closed meetings without offending those august officials who prefer to keep it shut.

Sounds like he’s taken a page out of Herb’s book.  Take a vacation after announcing tax hikes.

i heard that mussalum has a ranch that he owns i think in smithers

We’ve had phone calls from both Pond’s campaign AND Coons’ campaign…  Just sayin’.

Get out of my face, I was not picking on Volunteers and yeah they do have a choice of who they wish to work for as I do. No matter if it was a young lady or an old one, I would be polite just the fact that someone from that office phoned my home. He does not have any morals anyway in my eyes and as someone said on the street today and she is living a few door from him, he does not care for anyone else except his own steps. I still say he has done shit for our community it was the Pond Boom no one else’s.When asked any question regarding this area, he will sing like a cannery just to bullshit his way to the top. He had chances to fight for a detox eight years ago and he never moved on anything which did not call for ribbon cutting or a photo shot.

I am not too sure what the concern is about phone calls from campaigners of whatever political stripe. Usually they seem to want to winkle out a hint about voting intentions. Of course, those of us who are non-aligned may take some mischievous delight in keeping them guessing … “Ah, between me and the ballot box, I’m afraid” … our names then probably being recorded as “undecided” even if we know exactly who we will be voting for. Best to maintain a bit of levity, I think, until this trying experience, this massed council of war that is a Provincial election campaign, is over and the political junkies among us can return to our usual pastime of raising grave concerns and righteous indignation about the conduct of our elected officials at City Hall.