Gas Prices in Rupert

Just came back from P George, went up to $1.22 but settled to $1.18 by dinner… still waiting for an explanation that makes sense. Did the price of crude go up? Cuz it doesn’t matter if every 1/2 the refineries in the US got wiped out, they’re in the US!

I’m a big fan of Higher Petrol Prices and the Gas Tax.

Polluters should be punished. Raise the price of Gas to $2.00/liter… then lower/remove the Income Tax.

Why punish us for going out and making a living?

Have you seen the price of gas??? I think the oil companies are a bunch of thieving bastards!!! :open_mouth:

[quote=“Charles_T”]I’m a big fan of Higher Petrol Prices and the Gas Tax.

Polluters should be punished. Raise the price of Gas to $2.00/liter… then lower/remove the Income Tax.

Why punish us for going out and making a living?[/quote]

Or perhaps giving gas tax rebates for people in certain professions?

[quote=“Eso”]Man, gas prices don’t really bother me at all.

Markets are driven by consumers. If you don’t like or can’t afford the gas prices, don’t drive. There are always alternatives.

I dunno, I just don’t see myself giving up driving anytime too soon, and I am planning on my next vehicle having a gas guzzling V8.[/quote]

I think you’re missing the point dude. Oil companies and our own government are gouging us. The major oil companies all profited between $1.5 and $2.5 Billion last year before these crazy hikes. Have you ever seen the pie graph at the pumps that shows where the money goes?
3% is profit and 43% is taxes so if the companies are making an average of $2 billion in profit then the government is making a $28.5 billion gouge from the consumer every year. 52.8 cents from every litre goes straight to taxes. Take 10 cents off a litre and the government still makes over 25 billion in profit a year. Markets are run by supply and demand. I’m not going to be driving near as much. If everyone took a little breather from driving then gas prices will go down, no doubt.

http://www.caa.ca/gasprice/pricing.html

[quote=“fingahz”]

[quote=“Eso”]Man, gas prices don’t really bother me at all.

Markets are driven by consumers. If you don’t like or can’t afford the gas prices, don’t drive. There are always alternatives.

I dunno, I just don’t see myself giving up driving anytime too soon, and I am planning on my next vehicle having a gas guzzling V8.[/quote]

I think you’re missing the point dude. Oil companies and our own government are gouging us. The major oil companies all profited between $1.5 and $2.5 Billion last year before these crazy hikes. Have you ever seen the pie graph at the pumps that shows where the money goes?
3% is profit and 43% is taxes so if the companies are making an average of $2 billion in profit then the government is making a $28.5 billion gouge from the consumer every year. 52.8 cents from every litre goes straight to taxes. Take 10 cents off a litre and the government still makes over 25 billion in profit a year. Markets are run by supply and demand. I’m not going to be driving near as much. If everyone took a little breather from driving then gas prices will go down, no doubt.

http://www.caa.ca/gasprice/pricing.html[/quote]

I wounder if they would go back to pre iraq war prices I dont think so, I think it might go down, but i think its going to get worse before it gets better. there might be only 15 to 50 years of oil left, with china who is gobling everything up i think it will not go down below 95. cents ever.
I think your right fingahz we need to drive less, make better choices in the next car you buy. take public transit.

Being native isn’t a profession…

… it’s more of a passtime.

[quote=“Charles_T”]

… it’s more of a passtime.[/quote]

lol

[quote=“Charles_T”]

And being you is more of a waste of time.

hippie!

And hey dont woryr the human race is to lazy to give up cars.So we will just convert cars onto veggie oil and they will runn nicely and no bad things will happen.

[quote=“Charles_T”]

Okay, what exaclty was the inspiration for this non-sequitur?

[quote=“fingahz”]

http://www.caa.ca/gasprice/pricing.html[/quote]

Naive people are funny! Don’t you think that CAA is linked in some ways to the oil industry? Also, the link you provided shows fixed amount per litre (as well as %) going to the government. So if the gov takes 10 cents per litre, the price can go up and that share shouldn’t increase.
Another thing is that the pie part of the crude oil price must be bigger now. That chart has been on pumps for a long time, even when the gas price was 76 cents.
So within the last two years, the crude price went up. Now, if an oil company produces and refines, don’t you think their profits go up when the price of crude jumps?
So the government excuse is just a smokescreen. Yes they are making more money but the recent hikes are profiting the companies more than we think and that pie graph should change.

By the way, it is $1.40 per litre here.

It’s now 118.9 at Chevron.

3% profit is probably the retailer, not the oil company.

I’m not sure about the exact numbers, but I know Hibernia oil is very cheap for Petro Canada, for example. I seem to remember numbers like $10-12 per barrel in costs. Anything above that would be profit for them.

The oil companies are making a killing, not the government.

Think about this: do you blame the government for GST and PST if you want to buy a car/computer/bike/guitar and it is expensive?

The real culprit in high Canadian oil prices is globalization. We can produce oil pretty cheaply in Canada, but unfortunately, a global market means global prices.

Now taxes are very different than royalties. If the oil is in Alberta (or Newfoundland or wherever), then it belongs to the people, not to some oil company. These companies rightly pay for the privilege of removing the people’s oil and selling it at huge profits. Hence Alberta’s $7 billion surplus.

My car is supposed to run on premium, but I think I’ve only ever filled it up with it once. I usually put in 89… but I really can’t afford to be paying even the extra cents per liter after it’s all added up, so I’m going to have to start putting in regular again.

Oh well though, it’s getting colder, and colder air means more compressed air, so I won’t need higher octane fuel to get movin’ nicely in the winter.

P.S. I live in the boonie-ish area of Terrace, in a place called Thornhill up on the bench. To get from my house to the high school I went to, it was a 15km drive. School buses left my neighbourhood at 7:44am, whereas school started at 8:28. I tried carpooling, but my friends in the neighbourhood are very unreliable and some days just didn’t go to school, so I took my car every day. I’m not going to bike 15km to school every day, and with taking the bus at 7:44am last year school was hell.

In a 4 day week, that’s 120km of just school and back, and in my car which goes through on average 5L/100km, that’s not a lot, so normally I shouldn’t really care.

But I’m a skier, and part of my future lies in skiing because I tend to do something inside the ski industry, so it’s not like I’m just going to stop skiing because gas prices went up. But, last year it cost me $10 for a round trip to Shames Mountain… this year? Probably $14.

I think if there is any one easy thing that could help out in both reducing pollution and helping some people out with the cost of gas, it would be getting rid of the 1-passenger rule for driver’s with their N. I mean, I’m a responsible driver, I’ve never had a ticket, nor an accident, nor driven stupidly, and I know it’s the same way for so many new driver’s out there. So… if they would only get rid of that rule, we could carpool to school, carpool to the ski hill, carpool to work, whatever. My Jetta seats 5 including me, if I were to split the cost with the 4 other people in the vehicle, It would only cost us just under $3 each, rather than $7 for two people (my friends are willing to split the cost of gas with me). With 5 people in my car, that means there’ll be 2 less vehicles on the road going to the ski hill with only 1 or no passengers, so that’s a lot less gas getting pumped into the air.

I really just wish ICBC would get rid of the rule totally or even just have a 6 month or 1 year probationary period before you can carry unlimited… or hell… even one more passenger.

I love the graduated licencing program so much, I still don’t have my licence at age 26. It’s a pain in the ass. I totally understand why it’s being done though, but there are worse drivers out there who have had their licence for 20 years already, that won’t ever be questioned about their driving ability until they hit old age.

I accept the fact that there are idiot drivers out there that ruin it for everyone else, but there are also very responsible drivers that are being punished because of those dumbasses.

Has there been any studies done since graduated licencing came into effect to show if it’s actually working? I’m too tired to look around for that right now… the only things I had been able to find in the past were assumptions, no actual facts.

I notice there are way more older drivers between the ages 30-50 that dont know how to drive, then there are begginers.

lmao

I was in Terrace yesterday and the price of gas was 111.9 cents per liter.
:open_mouth:

Just hit $1.48 in St. John’s, NF, I’m told. Two 20¢ jumps in two days. Insane.