For parents of teens

Take her to a psychiatrist.  The system might fail but that doesn’t mean you have to.

What “system” are you talking about?
The Ministry for Children and Families has a mental health team that will respond.
There’s also Friendship House. And the school system has a mental health team.

Have you called these people?

Have you consulted with your Family Physician regarding your suspicions? He/she could make recommendations and referrals for you. I would think about trying that road and see where that leads.

The Friendship House has Edith Blackwater I that is her name she is a councellor but I believe she would refer the child. Then there is Kevin Lefebvre and his team at the Child and youth clinic , as for other youth that you feel are poisoning your child I have seen the court put a no contact order on some kids. I have seen youth who indulge in chemicals come out of it with mind bends . If you feel that the system is not helping you address your situation then complain to your MLA’s office so you make them earn their dollar. I do not like the idea of waiting around for a travelling shrink.

I heard that Myles is still out there giving it, my neighbor and her husband just brought him in  for their son and they were very happy with the results. A mater a fact the father kept praising him and could not figure why he does not get paid. I believe that he is one who knows the system and who the real good contacts are.

For the record. As much respect as I have for the posters of HTMF, this is not the first place I have turned. Nor have I been sitting on my arse taking no action.

My child has been seeing Kevin, at mental health, for several months now. He is a God Send! Up til recently, we figured it was a case of poorly adjusting adolecent and have been focused on our relationship with the child.

Our GP was on holidays during the most recent ‘episodes’ - and the Dr on call at the hospital refused to refer or commit because my child had not actively attempted or threatened suicide. I have an appt with my GP the moment he is back.

Bear in mind that during these ‘episodes’ there is absolutely no reasoning and if I try to use ANY physical force - the ante gets upped to a point of parental abuse. So even a swift kick won’t help - it inflames.

When this occurs, we phone the RCMP - who can take the kid away if we say we want to press charges. But then they release when the court says no to the charges.

So the RCMP call child protection - who deem that we are not an unsafe environment for the child. The acting supervisor denied us mediation - which it is too late for anyway - then denied us voluntary care because…again…we are not an unsafe environment. (Never mind that our child is an unsafe environment for US to be in) So, in the end, to get any help from child protection - I had to tell them that I have “kicked out” my child.

Oh - and we have been requesting, through the school, that the travelling psych see this child for 1.5 years now…several times. Each time we are told ‘oops, must have fallen off the list’.

I have also been repeatedly telling all of these professionals - if the service my child needs is not in Rupert, please tell me where it is and I WILL GO THERE. But I don’t even know where to look - so I ask for help.

As parents, we have been more than willing to do whatever is required of us to apply an “ounce of prevention”. Now both parents and child need at least a whole pound of cure…each. And the issue of a psych evaluation is STILL unresolved.

I will not give up on my child - no matter how dark my humour may seem on htmf.

I was a screw up until I got into martial arts. It gave me direction and a lot of people around who were successful who had their lives together. 12 years later, I now run my own MMA gym. I have a great core group of about 20 and many more come and go. All the people that stick around know that I am not joking when i say I will toss them if they are up to no good, ie picking fights down town. Its not for every body but I do think kids need some activity that they can be proud of and successful at.

Sports is a good outlet for kids, if you have monetary issues that may hinder your childs particpation, there is a fund called “Everyone Can Play”  Just ask about it at the Civic Center.  I wish you luck … this is a tough road for all concerned.

It is quite possible that your child has a dopamine serotonin imbalance. This disorder is at the root of bi-polar, compulsive addictive, schizophrenia, and just about every addiction known.  If so, no amount of councilling will help. A great book on the subject is called “The Craving Brain”. People with this need to have a strict routine of regular sleep, proper diet, exercise and in some cases medication.

Become the Change … have you tried Gary Coons office, maybe they could refer you to some services to get the help your child needs.  The system really and truly sucks …as much as I love living here, you really realize the lack of services such as Psych etc.  Have you talked to your child school counsellor, or is there a favourite teacher that might be able to lead you in a direction that may offer some help? I wish you luck in your task it really sucks that there is no direction … have you thought of maybe a ref to a private Psych out of town?