Enbridge Northern Gateway Pipeline gets green light from JRP

How many people around here know that the LNG facilities can expect to emit about one tonne of carbon pollution for every tonne of LNG produced.

As for the climate debate. It comes down to 5 kinds of people in that debate.
1.Either you believe the world is at a tipping point, as all credible science says and believe we need to decide as a people to do something,
2. You believe the world is at a tipping point but dont care cause you wont be here anyways and want all you can get for you and your family now while your alive now, despite what it may mean in the future.
3. You dont believe climate change is happening because you read some BS that has been debunked by pretty much every real scientist on the globe but you choose to go with what you wish was reality. 4. You have taken a religious extremist position that God never mentioned climate change in the book of revelations and science cant be trusted.
5. You have no opinion or are completely uneducated on the argument.

That said this oil project could have easily went through to Vancouver where the shipping lanes are much safer and the pipe line can just follow existing lines.

[quote=“Juijitsubrainiac”]How many people around here know that the LNG facilities can expect to emit about one tonne of carbon pollution for every tonne of LNG produced.

That said this oil project could have easily went through to Vancouver where the shipping lanes are much safer and the pipe line can just follow existing lines.[/quote]

I believe they already want to do that. Does “Kinder Morgan” ring a bell.

I have no problem with uranium mining either, as for beetle killed timber enviromentalists were against logging that too

and a question for those against the pipeline. are you against all oil pipelines or just the northern gateway pipeline, in other words nimby

You characterize arguments against this project as “nimby” in an attempt to dismiss and ignore them. I’ve stated earlier in this thread why I think there is little to be gained by Rupertites if this project goes through while we take on considerable risk.

The Not In My Back Yard characterization is not fair. By analogy, if a developer bought the property next door with plans to build a hog farm, promising that the sewage lagoons wouldn’t smell or leak and that pigs don’t oink that loud, while the city council was falling over itself to approve necessary zoning changes would you be rah-rah I favour of the project in spite of the fact that nearly everyone else in town thinks it is madness?

BC risk for Alberta gain, basically.

I’m not really supportive of transporting oil anywhere, but I’m more concerned with a pipeline than tankers. There are already many oil tankers that travel through our waters. LNG we shall see what happens. I know people are concerned about the ramifications of these projects and rightly so. But I also know the future of this province is pretty bleak without utilizing our resources. There are no other major job projects for the north or really for most of BC. No jobs means more people will leave here. Health, Education and infrastructure would suffer even more.

i’m just curious because there are other pipelines that go across other sensitive areas with no problems, yet, and some that have ruptured, environmental concerns are valid but at the same time as humans we must progress, if the northern gateway is built and no leaks occur for say 30 years is that a risk i’m willing to take yes, for we might not get any benefits or very little benefits in the province, the federal government which sends money to the province does get benefits so we do get some of it back. Has enbridge learned from their pipeline rupture last year, lets hope so and they strive to make doubly sure northern gateway will be the safest pipeline they can build with the newest technology and information learned from that rupture.

as for your hog farm analogy it is sort of wrong, enbridge is not building next to your house, just because you use the forest and river it is not yours.

It sure as hell doesn’t belong to Enbridge. And poisoning the earth isn’t progress. I’d rather have lean years as Rupertites have had many already and have survived just fine, then back something that can potentially destroy the most beautiful alive area in BC. The great comedian Bill Hicks would refer to people that support this kind of greed as suckers of Satan’s C%^*!!!

Ah there’s the old mainframe spirit, don’t like someone’s argument or opinion, turn to the graphic insult.

Hey mcsash!

Perhaps this is why few bother to offer up opinions on the board anymore.

ok lets get rid of Satan’s Oil, what would happen, no gas, no plastics, hell of alot less money for governments, more unemployment, alot less high income jobs. yes lets stick to high morals shall we for high morals will always advance our economy. the easiest thing in the world to do is to say No, not in my backyard, saying yes is hard, lots of opinions one way or the other, but lets make sure if it is built it is as bullet proof as we can make it, even though nothing is fail safe.

as for poisoning the earth just remember, anytime you take transportation, use your smartphone, watch tv, use your computer, etc etc etc, you are poisoning the earth one way or another.

Doesn’t seem to stop you from offering the same opinion over and over again.

As for the pipeline, why should BC take all the risk so Alberta can have all the benefit?

Sounds like a National Energy Policy in reverse.

I’ve been given to understand that the main motivating factor for increasing energy exports to China (of which Northern Gateway is just a part) is to link the North American market more closely to the Asian market. In effect, to link our abundance to their scarcity. There are 1.3 Billion Chinese with a rapidly growing middle class with an insatiable demand for consumer goods. Their energy demands are outpacing their production capacity. This drives up energy prices. If the markets are more closely linked the result will be that as China becomes more wealthy I will be paying more to drive to work, heat my home etc. Food will become more expensive to produce and move to market. As China becomes richer I become poorer.

Again, if this pipeline goes through I will be taking on substantial risk and will receive no discernable benefit. Supporting this project makes no sense.

This is getting boring. The NIMBY’s, the “NO” crowd, the alarmists and their sky is falling doomsday scenarios is wearing thin. Thank god it is mostly a fringe group and common sense will prevail.

What I find boring is the combination of ad hominem attacks and straw man bullying that the North American right wing uses to insult and dismiss anyone with a divergent opinion from their narrow interpretation of “common sense.”

Without the ability to engage this debate with logic or facts just marginalize, insult, and dismiss. That will inform the discourse.

You obviously don’t believe in science or don’t care. NIMBY? You bet I don’t want this in my back yard! I don’t want in it anywhere near the Skeena peroid. I guess your a climate change “skeptic”. Even Harper con’s are saying this week that climate change is real! Didn’t you get your talking point? Deniers of climate change are the “fringe group”.

No, I believe in science. But I am not prepared to live my life like the Suzuki’s of the world want us to.

We are an energy exporting country, and we benefit greatly from it.
Until another source of energy comes along, we will burn fossil fuels.
Most of us are not prepared to live the lifestyle required if the eco-fanatics get their way. (In truth, I don’t believe most of them are either.)

It is fine to be against an issue, but I haven’t seen a very good reason to be against this. Fear mongering isn’t one. NIMBY isn’t one.

[quote=“crazy Horse”]No, I believe in science. But I am not prepared to live my life like the Suzuki’s of the world want us to.

Most of us are not prepared to live the lifestyle required if the eco-fanatics get their way. (In truth, I don’t believe most of them are either.)

It is fine to be against an issue, but I haven’t seen a very good reason to be against this. Fear mongering isn’t one. NIMBY isn’t one.[/quote]

You can’t find a “very good reason” hey? Anyone who has enjoyed one hour in our beautiful wilderness or felt any connection to our land whatsoever has more reasons to oppose this project than they have fingers and toes. If you truly believe that there is no good reason to oppose this project and it’s very real consequences then I tell you this - I would sooner die than call you my countryman.

[quote=“crazy Horse”]No, I believe in science. But I am not prepared to live my life like the Suzuki’s of the world want us to.

It is fine to be against an issue, but I haven’t seen a very good reason to be against this. Fear mongering isn’t one. NIMBY isn’t one.[/quote]

“BC premier Christy Clark recently boycotted a national energy strategy among the Canadian premiers [85] stating “until we see some progress in the discussions between British Columbia, Alberta and the federal government with respect to the Gateway pipeline through British Columbia, we will not be participating in the discussion of a national energy strategy.” This is likely over concerns that BC will receive a $6.1 billion share of a project that is expected to earn $81 billion in government revenues over 30 years, while footing a majority of the risk.”

Sounds like a bad deal to me. Please, convince me this is good. Would love to hear about all these “great benefits”.

KJW you are entitled to your opinion and beliefs it is a bad deal, and asking questions about the environment is only logical, no quarrels there at all.

But for the economy to grow we must export our resources, there is no doubt about that, as for risks, yes there is a risk but is the risk acceptable, to me yes it is, if someone came from the sky sold you a bible stating that the pipeline would not ever ever rupture or leak gives his/her guarantee would you then support it? no because no one can guarntee 100% but you can mitigate the risks, tankers don’t think we have to worry there they are dbl hulled and have pilots on board, pipeline yes there is a worry but in the end looking at the whole of the industry pipelines the risk is very low. What you have left is emotion and well there is no way to sway an emotional response.

[quote=“crazy Horse”]

Happy New Year, Crazy Horse. I gave you a reason, but, you did not respond to it. You did wish me a Merry Christmas which I appreciate.
As I stated previously I am deeply concerned about a spill occurring in our watershed. Oil companies are motivated by profit. Cleaning up an environmental disaster is a dead loss for an oil company. Who will compel an oil company to move swiftly to clean up a mess? There is still oil in the environment from the Exxon Valdez.