Dust masks

[quote=“jesus”]

is trying to stir public anger in attempt to save his personal investment?

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/002/658/cptobvious.jpg[/quote]

lol

[quote=“DWhite”]I am not sure what his motives are but saving his personal investment can’t be one of them. It just won’t happen.

But I can understand his frustration at the city, the port, Pinnacle, and probably even himself for buying where he did.

What I dont understand is the vehemence of people in response to his posts. If the city raised our taxes to compensate the neighbours then I could see people being upset. If Pinnacle decided to shut down because they couldnt make appropriate changes without losing money then I could see people being upset.

Right now Hissyfit is complaining about dust and smell which may affect all of us - even those who live as far from Pinnacle as anyone in Rupert. If that is an issue then I want to know how that gets resolved. In the meantime, I am not going to get my knickers in knot over some guy complaining on an internet site that I freely choose to read.[/quote]

Ever compared the Wildrose Party’s political playbook to Hissyfit’s posts on HTMF?

Not a whole lot of difference.

[quote=“DWhite”]
I am not sure what his motives are but saving his personal investment can’t be one of them. It just won’t happen.

… If the city raised our taxes to compensate the neighbours then I could see people being upset. [/quote]

If you search through the past posts, many of them refer to property value, taxes, etc.

If there’s a legitimate complaint about noise and pollution, then the plant should be held accountable. I don’t think anyone is disputing that, are they?

[quote="MiG]

If there’s a legitimate complaint about noise and pollution, then the plant should be held accountable. I don’t think anyone is disputing that, are they?[/quote]

Do homeowners really have a legal argument?? Maybe the dust, but the rest probably not a chance. Blocking of views, noise and smell is something that is found everywhere.

[quote=“MiG”]
If you search through the past posts, many of them refer to property value, taxes, etc.

If there’s a legitimate complaint about noise and pollution, then the plant should be held accountable. I don’t think anyone is disputing that, are they?[/quote]

As much as I am curious about the emotional, contemptuous responses of outrage to hissyfit’s posts, I am equally curious as to why I even bother to invest any of my own energy responding as well, but I think I will stick to my comment about peasants squabbling.

The people who live in that area lost the battle when whoever had the power to make the decision allowed Pinnacle to legally locate in their neighbourhood as it was zoned industrial. That’s done. They will not get compensation. They will not get a tax break. People can feel badly for them or people can mock them. Nothing is going to change the fact that they are where they are and Pinnacle is right next door.

As well, hissyfit has not been the best spokesperson for the group. He doesn’t appear to be trying to elicit much sympathy (are dust masks really going to be available in the post office?) and he should probably scrap the username. If you are going to be complaining regularly about something, perhaps hissyfit is the last name you want to use. So I do kind of get the “oh no here we go again” reaction when he posts.

However, I really don’t understand the utter contempt directed his way even when he posts something that may be of concern to more than just the few people who live in his neighbourhood. Maybe his complaints about smell, dust and noise have no foundation but I have noticed a smell clear across town as have others. Some here have noticed the dust. Others have mentioned more severe asthma attacks. Maybe Pinnacle is doing everything by the books. Maybe there is nothing that can be done. Or maybe there is something that can be done. But we will never know if we tell hissy and his neighbours to STFU because “he is a whiny moron who was a stupid idiot when he bought his house in the first place”.

Peasants squabbling. And we (including myself) are investing way too much energy into this squabble and not enough into solving a problem which includes smell, dust and limited access to the waterfront, all to the detriment of the whole city not just a neighbourhood.

A couple of months ago in another thread, I tried to get answers to a few questions and it became the last post on the thread, meaning there was no response. So one more try, hissyfit or anybody else.

1. How severe is the problem involving dust, smell, and noise. And do you have more than just anecdotal evidence. (I sympathize with the possible decline in your house value, but I am afraid that battle has been lost.)
  2. What have you done besides come on HTMF to draw attention to your concerns? What have been the responses?
  3. What promises did the Port, Pinnacle or the City make that have not been met?
  4. What can you reasonably expect from Pinnacle, the Port or the City to help resolve your concerns?

As I have said before, I am interested in your situation because no matter what the outcome, your struggle can be instructive to the rest of us.

I have friends that live over on that end, you can see the plant from their house, I have also been around that plant, right close to it, and I really couldn’t hear a whole lot of noise coming from it. The Seaplanes on my end of town make more noise than that plant does. But, I have never once complained about it. “Oh, the seaplanes don’t go all hours of the night” Doesn’t matter really, that noise isn’t loud, and really, shouldn’t be complained about. I bet the container port makes more noise than that plant does.

DWhite,

Good points! The residents in the neighbourhood around Pinnacle Pellet will need to accept the fact that the business is there to stay. However, if the residents can prove that Pinnacle Pellet is violating agreed to environmental standards then perhaps they can do something about their situation. Are there basic environmental codes of conduct regarding emissions that a pellet plant needs to follow? I am curious as I don’t know the answer to that question.

Pinnacle and the Port are subject to commitments in the environmental screening report, which was prepared under the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act. The report can be found from this link: < rupertport.com/documents/pin … ing-report >.

Regrettably the City refused to participate in the environmental process. Instead of using that as an opportunity to express residents’ concerns and to push for stronger or clearer commitments - in other words to represent their constituents - the mayor and council boycotted the environmental process.

They apparently thought that participating would be construed as support for the development. That was absurd - environmental processes are open to supporters, opponents and any one else who has an interest in the matter. Municipal issues such as impacts on residential areas probably were inadequately considered in the environmental screening for the simple reason that the municipality refused to participate.

Port lands that are used for purposes under federal jurisdiction, ie for shipping, are outside of the province’s environmental enforcement regime. The lands are subject to the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, which among other things governs air quality and pollution originating from federally regulated lands. Concerned citizens can contact Environmental Canada’s Enforcement Branch < ec.gc.ca/alef-ewe/default.as … 99060002-1 >.

As for the City, all the council does is huff and puff. Councillor Cunningham with considerable rhetorical flourish said of Pinnacle “it’s time that we dragged them in here and got them to talk”. < thenorthernview.com/news/259085221.html >. That’s a bit rich coming from a City council that refused to show up for the environmental screening and talk to the other parties concerned (in fairness to Cunningham he wasn’t in office at the time).

The City cannot summons or drag anyone to appear before them. The council is not a court, and the Port and Pinnacle are outside of their jurisdiction on this particular issue because Pinnacle is a shipping facility (the proposed retail/office development at Cow Bay is a different story).

If the City is truly concerned and wants to play tough guy, rather than just engage in bluster, they can compile and document citizen concerns and formally complain to Environment Canada’s enforcement branch. Maybe they can talk about that at their next closed meeting. That seems to be where a lot of their talking takes place.

kijiji.ca/v-house-for-sale/p … nFlag=true

1 bedroom 1 bath for $250,000 on beach place. Is this you HIssy trying to get out with a unrealistic price :smile:

thenorthernview.com/news/271 … obile=true