Dust masks

The plant is built on land zoned for industrial use. The Port has the legal right to run a plant at that site. You and other citizens are perfectly within your rights to let the Port know about environmental concerns.

If they’re looking for compensation, maybe ask their realtor.

I looked at buying a house there more than 15 years ago. The very first thing my realtor told me was that the house was right next to an industrial zone, and to expect there to be industrial activity there.

Is it a surprise to people that an industrial zone has industrial activity? Did anyone buy a house there that didn’t know it was an industrial zone?

Now if there’s something the facility is doing that it shouldn’t be doing, then take them to task for it, sure. Hold them accountable. But at the same time, property owners need to be held accountable for their decision to buy property next to an industrial zone, right?

You know, I can hear trucks on the highway occasionally. Perhaps we should move the highway or ban large trucks from driving on it.

I can hear ravens and geese at my place. Can we bring back DDT already?

This is exactly what the powers love. Peasants squabbling amongst themselves.

I was out getting plants at Rona the other day and I couldn’t figure out the smell just outside the greenhouse. Then we went to Rupert Lawn and Garden (Azalea) and the same smell. Now, from the posts here I am guessing that it must have been the pellet plant with the smell drifting right across town.

I don’t live any where near the pellet plant and it is easy for me to dismiss the complaints of the people in that neighbourhood. They chose to live near an area zoned industrial, the town needs jobs, this is progress etc. etc. But progress should also imply that issues of noise, smell, and dust will be addressed.

Now I don’t know everything that Pinnacle, the Port and the City have promised. I honestly don’t know if hissyfit and his neighbours have a legitimate complaint. One way or another, I do know it is pointless for the rest of us to mock them. After all, there may come a time, when we think we have a complaint about something, and I would hope that the rest of us will at least listen.

After all, peasants squabbling amongst themselves is exactly the excuse the powers need to ignore us all.

[quote=“DWhite”]This is exactly what the powers love. Peasants squabbling amongst themselves.

I was out getting plants at Rona the other day and I couldn’t figure out the smell just outside the greenhouse. Then we went to Rupert Lawn and Garden (Azalea) and the same smell. Now, from the posts here I am guessing that it must have been the pellet plant with the smell drifting right across town.

I don’t live any where near the pellet plant and it is easy for me to dismiss the complaints of the people in that neighbourhood. They chose to live near an area zoned industrial, the town needs jobs, this is progress etc. etc. But progress should also imply that issues of noise, smell, and dust will be addressed.

Now I don’t know everything that Pinnacle, the Port and the City have promised. I honestly don’t know if hissyfit and his neighbours have a legitimate complaint. One way or another, I do know it is pointless for the rest of us to mock them. After all, there may come a time, when we think we have a complaint about something, and I would hope that the rest of us will at least listen.

After all, peasants squabbling amongst themselves is exactly the excuse the powers need to ignore us all.[/quote]

If theres a legitimate complaint make it through the appropriate channels. Constant whining about it with no action gets you mocked. Find out what pinnacle is required by law to do regarding dust and the levels of particulate allowed by law. Find out what is being done to test the particulate levels and find out what the levels are. If you have a complaint that the levels are above the legal limit I’ll support you. If you come here and piss and moan about how your property values are down and you deserve to be compensated for your idiocy I and others will mock you.

Its nothing to do with “the powers” or “peasants” squabbling. Its got to do with morons complaining and hoping for support and monetary gains because they were idiots.

Yup and everybody is a winner when you call them morons and idiots.

Maybe they have no legitimate complaint. Maybe they are just whiners and complainers. So what. How much is my life disrupted by someone coming on HTMF every so often to complain about some aspect of their life? I can choose to ignore them just as I can choose to ignore the responses of the people who mock them. No big deal to me.

But, if their complaint is legitimate, especially if the noise, dust, and smell is spreading beyond their neighbourhood, then, if I am reading you correctly, even you would support them.

However, if one group of citizens dismisses another group of citizens as just morons and idiots, whiners and complainers, then it makes it easier for the big bosses to ignore complaints even if there is some cause for concern.

Right now, I can put up with their “whining and complaining” and hope that they are taking their concerns to the appropriate people and not just HTMF. I will let them fight their battle because, win or lose, it will be a lesson for the rest of us if anything similar pops up in our own lives.

i have mentioned these words before…WHORES and the NIMBYS…

selling your land/soul to the almighty perceived dollar…

look at vancouver victoria nanaimo…all have waterfront or beach access…what do we have now?..fawk all,all been spoken for by the port/industry.

and for the people in the westview area…have had their peace and serenity gobbled up by the profiteers…

and instead of acting like a community …we have those that mock and say tough shit people you live in an industrial zone…even though there hasnt been a grain elevator there since 1984ish.

i live in that area and my assessed value went up about 35 percent…

as a long time rupertite…not a happy camper…

jesus do you even live in rupert?..no?..well shut you fawking pie hole…

My little sister has been having more trouble with her asthma than she usually does this time of year.

but its jobs…

prpa might buy little sister an asthma inhaler…

shhh…its about 4 jobs…

[quote=“mcsash”]
jesus do you even live in rupert?..no?..well shut you fawking pie hole…[/quote]

Good luck with that. Please explain to me again how your decision to purchase land next to an industrial zone (albeit an inactive one at the time) makes anyone else responsible for your financial losses or loss of peace and quiet?

Re: waterfront access, if you want some have the city buy some land and setup a nice park. What your city is broke? well who’s fault is that, certainly not the citizens who keep electing the same band of idiots right?

I’ll say it again, if you have evidence that pinnacle is violating the law in regards to the amount of particulate/noise being released from their operation then please step forward with it. If you don’t then you’re just being a whiner because your poor foresight landed you in a situation you are unhappy with.

Regarding my comments about “morons” and “idiots” if you couldnt see industrial development coming to an industrial zoned property at SOME point in the future you’re a moron/idiot. If you didnt know the land was industrial zoned you’re still an idiot, check out the zoning before you buy a house next time.

Get some evidence of wrong doing and people might give you a bit of support.

Even tho the site is zoned as industrial, it’s still the waterfront. Our area has better places for industrial companies to expand and develop.

Good grief!!! Enough with the boo hoo hoo. Rupert was developed because of its waterfront. Who in their right mind would build a community on a side of a mountain where the land is rock and muskeg?? At one point the waterfront was all zoned industrial, so quit whining that there is no access. People should have bitched when they built that ugly mall years ago. A piece of land with a million dollar view. If Pinnacle is violating environmental/health codes it should be addressed. If they aren’t, people will have to learn to live with it.

The approval for pinnacle to expand is coming soon so not to worry, more people will soon be affected. You would think the owners of the Crest and the Chances would be a little concerned about their outside decks becoming unusable. Almost all the communities with fibre pellet facilities nearby are experiencing opposition,some have been relocated to industrial sites others have been shut down and continue to be white elephants for the community to deal with and some are fighting to be able to expand, what will happen in Rupert? Stay tuned in to find out.

Oh no rupert might get more industrial business in their industrial zone that abides by health and safety regulations. The horror!

[quote=“DWhite”]

However, if one group of citizens dismisses another group of citizens as just morons and idiots, whiners and complainers, then it makes it easier for the big bosses to ignore complaints even if there is some cause for concern.[/quote]

I doubt that the Port will ignore the complaints. The Port is paying attention; they have a representative who is a HTMF member.

I agree. The owners who are affected by the dust should explore their options and determine what if any recourse they have.

I think if Pinnacle is doing something they’re not supposed to be doing, then they should be taken to task for it. No question.

If the people complaining say things like “property value” and “compensation” then they shouldn’t be surprised that they’re not taken so seriously.

Anybody noticed that hissyfit is trying to stir public anger in attempt to save his personal investment?

I am not sure what his motives are but saving his personal investment can’t be one of them. It just won’t happen.

But I can understand his frustration at the city, the port, Pinnacle, and probably even himself for buying where he did.

What I dont understand is the vehemence of people in response to his posts. If the city raised our taxes to compensate the neighbours then I could see people being upset. If Pinnacle decided to shut down because they couldnt make appropriate changes without losing money then I could see people being upset.

Right now Hissyfit is complaining about dust and smell which may affect all of us - even those who live as far from Pinnacle as anyone in Rupert. If that is an issue then I want to know how that gets resolved. In the meantime, I am not going to get my knickers in knot over some guy complaining on an internet site that I freely choose to read.