Drugs and stuff

If they’re black punish them a third time.

No one has yet mentioned the greatest addiction of all … POWER!

The acquisition of money and power (large amounts of money translate to power also) has been the bane of the whole world for ages.

Money is the root of all evil.  It is a long convuluted road this road of addicition, it can be cyclamatic which unless you get to base root of the problem it can never change. I don’t know if you treat the addict can you treat the addiction?  Is it a 2 part system, perhaps stiffer fines/penalites is not the way to go I don’t have the answer, except small steps, like a local detox centre, more susbtance abuse clincians perhaps stipends for attending detox ( similiar to EI in terms of you send in reports one a week?) If it was an easy fix it would have been done along time ago.

Just my thoughts on a very big topic

“The love of money is the root of all evil,” is the correct quote.

Sorry Professor Soggy … thanks for the correction.

The Buddha said “All pain comes from attachment”.

The love of money is one of those attachments.

Other attachments include:
the attachment to trauma continuing to cause pain requiring self-medication
the attachment to the feeling provided by self-medication
the attachment to my belief and value system as being 'right’
the attachment to other belieft and value systems as being 'wrong’
the attachment to feeling important, strong, smart, sexy, lovable …whatever it is that we don’t truly believe about ourselves

We humans - in the western world particularly - tend to be a lost and lonely bunch. We distract ourselves from the lonliness of our self imposed isolation by using TV, work, drama, adrenaline, drugs, alcohol…etc.

I wonder what our world would be like if we stopped separating from one another and started joining more.

Of course, we still need to be aware of our attachments to each other - they also cause pain.

Enough is fucking enough, instead of bitching, and complaining about people that use drugs, bitch about alcoholism. In my opion there are more fucking alcoholics in this rat race of a  shithole, than there are users. Most of the shit that goes on in this city stem from alcohol, not some potsy smokin some weed. I personally don’t agree with chemical use such as coke, heroin, meth, etc., however I don’t dis pot smokers. Sure coke kills, we all know this, however how many times in a 24 hour day, do cops deal with cokeheads, not too sure, how many times do cops bust a guy for smoking a joint walkin down the street, once in a while, YET Rupert’s alcoholism is off the scale. Everyday I am faced with alcoholics, that are as useful as “Tits on a Bull”, and yet they are one of the biggest problems that Rupert has to deal with.
  Smoke a lil weed, get the munchies, and ya support the local community, alcoholics cause more grief, than any other dependancy in this city. Personally I would love to see the city, and the police do more to keep the city safe from these people, as all they do is bum, beg, steal, and curse at those who do not help support their habits. I have no problem with someone who has a drink every now, and then, however I can’t stand alcoholics. For a city, and police force that is “So Concerned”, about drug use, here is my question, Isn’t alcohol just as deadly as any other drug out there? Why isn’t there more done about this?

I am sorry…stupid question…but is alcohol not a drug???

You should re-read the last 2 sentences.  i also agree whole-heartedly with what he said.

Most likely because Alcohol is a legal substance, the government makes money off of it and says it’s okay to use. They’d be contradicting themselves if they put much more of a taboo on alcohol and tobbacco than they do now.

That’s my two cents on it anyhow.

Curiously, the addiction rate before alcohol prohibition in the thirties was 1.7 percent. After prohibition was repealed it was 1.7 percent. And now? … You guessed it … 1.7 percent.