Drugs and stuff

It’s actually not from the secret, although I’ve seen the movie rendition of that.
It’s The Power of Intention by Wayne W. Dyer.
It’s completely true though, all of it. There are no shortage of things that the mind can do if it wants to. And there is more to it than just that, as well. It’s also what you choose it to be. Whatever you think, is. Just like if you think you are a horrible person and you’re hard done by, that is what you will be. Because that is all you will see.
Same goes for addiction. If you think “I am an addict, and I will never ever get away from it.” You won’t. It will haunt you forever.

The point is, everything YOU do is your responsibility. Everything. And the sooner humanity figures that out, the sooner the world will be a better place.

Addiction is a sickness,  it can be helped but can be very hard.  I say target the Dealers,  big and small.  Imagine how apealing a job dealing drugs would be if you stood the chance of being taken down town in the middle of the night, stripped naked and tied to the fountian with a sign saying " I am a Drug Dealer" around your neck.

Don’t try this at home kids…

By saying that, you are also implying that no one gets over the sickness.
And you’re saying that its not the users fault for starting in the first place.
Do you blame McDonalds for obesity, too?
What about Grocery and convenience stores for tobacco addicts?
What about gambling?
And who takes the responsibility for nymphos?

:unamused: because targeting dealers is working so well as it is. We created this problem by making drugs like peyote, magic mushrooms, and pot illegal. People went looking for new ways to get high. We made cocaine illegal causing the price to rise now we have crack.

We need to legalize drugs and provide treatment for those who need it just like we did with alcohol.

I agree to a certain point, dont hear anyone going after segrams or molson for vengeance because of the fetal alcohol babies, or the government for dealing it to them, when they have gone to far and fuked themselves up its the booze’s fault or their own fault yet same person has too many rides on the horse but thats the dealers fault? Alcohol by itself creates more addicts than all the other drugs combined in a year, and kills as many as the rest combined yet nobody is pointing fingers at the LCB or those who supply the drug it sells for them, hypocrites!. Addiction is clinically defined as a disease, not an illness, and no you never get over it, push it into remission temporarily but never “get over it”, thinking its “over now” is dangerous thinking for an addict, he will most likely relapse till he dies. The hallmark of this disease is it tells you that you dont have it, that your better now, its over so you can safely have a little flirt with it, the river of self deceit, and it only flows in one direction…down.

I agree, it always will be with you. But that doesn’t mean you can’t fight it, right? Getting into the mindset of, ''I’ll never get over this" puts you in the mindset of exactly that, never, EVER getting over it. But if you’re thinking in a positive manner, saying, “I can beat this addiction, I may have to keep fighting it, for the rest of my life, but I know I can.” You will.

You will if you really, truly, want to.

Focus on the goal, and keep that focus. If you get side tracked, as soon as you realize it happened, get back on track. Set your sights on that goal again. It’s tough, but you can do anything you put your mind to.

tony robbins?

It’s kind of funny, how many motivational speakers, self help book writers etc, extol these kinds of virtues? Don’t you figure there’s something to what they’re saying?

good point, seems to be a universal message that some can attach too and others can’t.  i’ve found that those who suffer the most in life, tend not to give themselves a chance at anything else.

Suggesting motivational speakers and books is all very good, for
the average joe who wants to get ahead.
Many, many drug and alcohol addicts have deep seated problems.
Abuse and neglect from an early age, to name just two, and
drugs or alcohol have always been their only way of coping.
They’ve never been shown any other way, and to show them another
is a long and arduous task.
There is also a stigma attached to drug and alcohol use and before
they can get help they have to admit to the abuse…this is extremely
difficult.
Drugs and sometimes alcohol physically changes the chemistry of the
brain so the abuser’s perception changes…not easy to deal with.
Telling these people to read a Tony Robbins book is over simplifying
the problem. 

Did I say read a book? Nope. And that isn’t the issue here anyhow. The issue is, people blame the dealers. Which is the wrong way of thinking.

The point I am trying to make is that hey,  would a person looking at the drug trade as a form of bussiness want to get into it if there was a chance that he/she could end up in thier nickers tied to town hall fountian?

If the profits were as high as they are currently… fuck  yes.  I guess you haven’t been on the internet long enough to see the things people will do for money/attention.

I wonder if this was the tomato gang

canada.com/theprovince/news/ … d4d1e28f8a

Firstly I would like to say this is a heated topic and hits lots of ppl at home. I don’t know very many ppl who DON’T have at least one addict in their family.

As for blaming the dealers when they sell to teenagers Yes it is not moraly correct but I was a teen not long ago. I was able to say no to some stuff. I was still the one who was in charge of my choices. Even when I pretty well had the shit held to my mouth I still made the decision not to inhale it. I thank my Mom for that, I come from a family with severe addiction problems. My mom didn’t hide the problems she taught me what I needed to know. I think we need to put way more blame on the parents. If you dont know the signs then look it up. We as parents sometimes have to go through their school bags sometimes even follow them. When they go to a well known crack shack go there bang on the door make a scene. I know the dealers aren’t going to want that kind of heat at their places. Who cares if we embarass them in front of their friends. I think raising a child not to be a next generation crack is worse then raising a popular child.

We need to get the school board to start a class in high school that is sorta like sex ed but Drug Ed. Teach them well they are young before they get in a situation where they don’t know what the effects are. I know some ppl have to try it for them selves but most ppl are visual learners and seeing what the physical effects are can turn them the other way.

Here’s a thought…

Let’s stop blaming.

As long as there is a market for weapons, arms dealers will do business. As long as there is a market for drugs, drug dealers will do business. Stop one and another will take over.

What we need to have is some compassion for people who are so hurting that they self-medicate to the point of addiction, disease, body breakdown and even death.

If the parents are caught in their own cycle of addiction, there is no way for them to model healthy choices for their children.

I believe that there are many times many points at which we can begin to break the addictive cycles that our society is in.

What we need are services…all services for all stages of the continuum.

To name a few:
Harm reduction for addicts not interested in - or able to - getting cleaned up
Detox options closer to home
Rehab with a wide variety of entry points and modes of participation

I am convinced that the biggest single thing we can all do is to change our thinking about addictions. We need to provide a community that does not judge so much about a persons failings as it supports a persons efforts to heal.

If I did not have a supportive community, I don’t know how I would ever have addressed my addiction to drama and anger…remember…addictions come in all shapes and sizes…now…where’s my coffee?

Awesome post, best I have heard on the subject in while, hats off to you.

A lot of people ( Dr’s) included do not know enough about addictions to treat the addiction itself.  There is no local detox centre so people have to go on a long wait list to try and get clean and sober. I think that we need to start solving this problem from the ground up and the top down. At some point common ground will be met ie the 1/2 way point and things maybe can change from here.  There need to be more money funnelled into treatment centers, medical ei extended to 45 weeks not just 15, i think also that the criminal code needs to be changed as well.  I don’t want to start another discussion about the pros and cons of legalizing drugs that is not what I want this to be about. However if the criminal code gets changed to reflect stiffer penalities, fines perhaps that would deter some criminals? We need to get more tools to help those suffering from addiction so that they can get help and recover from their addictions. I don’t know I am not a politician or a rocket scientest and people will always have good points for and against legalizing street drugs but I just think there has to be a starting point somewhere something started is better than just arguing/discussing your point of view for years on end maybe?

Like it does in the states?

Works well there, doesn’t it?
Punish them!!!
Punish them more!!!