Discussing Religion in polite company -- possible?

(You shall not steal) :angry:

I am the Lord your God
You shall have no other gods before me
You shall not make for yourself an idol
You shall not make wrongful use of the name of your God
Remember the Sabbath and keep it holy
Honor your father and mother
You shall not kill
You shall not commit adultery
You shall not steal  :angry:
You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor
You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife
You shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor

how long is it going to be before the Atheist start knocking on our doos like the rest of the religion’s out there do? I personally do not see anything wrong with those adds. The Catholics, Jevohas Witnesses and all that other shit advertise there religion all the time!

When the JW’s kept bothering my mother a few years ago, she got fed up with them knocking on her door.  (They even peaked through the windown to see if she was home).  All she did was curse and slam the door on them the next time the came by; then they stopped coming by. 

Oh man I hope that never happens.  While I have opened the door to some religious people trying to spread the word that are very nice and respectful, I have also opened the door to people that are the complete opposite of that.  The extremism is what bothers me the most about many organized religions, and the sometimes ‘preachy’ way that they can come across.  Ah well - that’s enough of an off topic tangent hey?  Hehe…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h05ZQ7WHw8Y)

I couldn’t agree more.

Ever hear of Kevin “Bloody” Wilson - he has the best ideas for dealing with religious solicitors in his song “The Festival of Life”.

WARNING: remember McLean and McLean? This Australian is 10 times more socially unacceptable - all by his onesy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJynygnjMC0)

Um, no. We don’t. That’s strictly reserved for far less mainstream Christian-like religions.

Ah - eccentric is a Catholic. Well, it fits.

Ohh thats cute, you christians are the biggest fools alive, how bout this concept:
"You shall not believe in invisible men, or believe in something “because we said so” or because “the bible says so”. Demand evidence before you make a blind commitment to things that are just plain bullshit, if you are going to buy the jesus b.s. may as well sign up for the santa and the tooth fairy package while yer at it. also those of you buying the jesus package may also find the humpty dumpty package is good a fit in with the santa and tooth fairy package, and if like all of those let me recommend the mother goose add on too. Myself I was raised in a christian home with the jesus b.s. taught as if it were truth backed with evidence, but after many years I reached the age of reason ( ten yrs old) I had to abandon these types of childish beliefs as I found something more constructive to do, its called “critical thinking”, you believers should try it sometime, its truly a more satisfying way of understanding than any supernatural being can give you, I’ll take logic over faith any day.

There’s no Santa Claus! :astonished:

Whatever do we tell the children…

Here’s the Official God FAQ

nice lol

[quote=“TranscendingRationality”]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h05ZQ7WHw8Y)

I couldn’t agree more.

LMAO. :smiley:[/quote]

You shall not make for yourself an idol   
Honor your father and mother   
You shall not kill
You shall not commit adultery   
You shall not steal  angry
You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor   
You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife   
You shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor

Is that better? Don’t think Cooking with Fire was trying to sell anyone religion–think he was just pointing out some values. Don’t see why he needs to be torn down for it.

Huh?  TV channels, newspapers, radio stations, magazines?  That’s not advertising?  I’ve printed my share of Catholic advertising in my life – I know it exists, because I’ve created some of it!

There are magazines and radio commercials advertising joining the Catholic Church… talking about church related events? I’m also curious what television shows you’re talking about–if you’re grouping Catholics in with all the other born again TV shows that play at 2am, you’re wrong… I’ve only ever heard of televised masses, not “join us” commercials.

There is a distinct difference between what the Catholic Church might do–or any other mainstream Christian sect do–and going door to door attempting to convert people.

I dunno–just seems very odd to me. I’ve never heard or seen any Catholic advertisements trying to get people to join up.

[quote=“eccentric”]
There are magazines and radio commercials advertising joining the Catholic Church… talking about church related events? I’m also curious what television shows you’re talking about–if you’re grouping Catholics in with all the other born again TV shows that play at 2am, you’re wrong… I’ve only ever heard of televised masses, not “join us” commercials.[/quote]

I think  you need to seperate  your experience with the Catholic church in Rupert with the Catholic church globally.

Yes, the Catholic church has missionaries.  Yes, the Catholic church owns TV, radio, print publications.

The Catholic church does door to door as well.  Just because it doesn’t happen in Rupert, or you’ve never seen it, doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

Imagine a kid who grew up in small-town Utah saying “The Mormon church doesn’t advertise like all these other religions.  They don’t go door-to-door.  Mormon’s are different.”  Well, that may be true in their part of the world.  That’s what you sound like.  You’re equating your naivety with reality.

I have.  Like I said, I’ve even helped create some.  I’ve also been part of, and witnessed Catholic missionaries. 

Fair enough. I’m obviously biased, but I still think there’s a distinct difference between church owned TV programs or magazines and advertisements on TV or in magazines. I think it’s a safe bet the viewers and readers of this kind of stuff are already Catholic.

As for Missionaries, good point–didn’t think of them. Their main goal is helping people, though–not conversion. (At least not anymore.)

Catholics don’t knock on doors to convert people. They invade countries and force conversion at the end of a sword or gun.  Or they kidnap kids and bring them to residential schools and orphanages.