Discussing Religion in polite company -- possible?

[quote=“eccentric”]
Fair enough. I’m obviously biased, but I still think there’s a distinct difference between church owned TV programs or magazines and advertisements on TV or in magazines. I think it’s a safe bet the viewers and readers of this kind of stuff are already Catholic.[/quote]

I’m talking about Church-owned media.  Ie: they own the TV or radio station.  But yeah, they also advertise on regular media as well.  Again, you haven’t seen it, I get that. 

But if you were to travel outside of Canada and take in some TV, radio and other media, you would see it.

Sure, tell yourself that.  Ok non-Catholic kids in need of help!  You can come and live in our orphanage or go to our school or eat our free food!  In return, we’ll teach you some prayers and all about our religion.

And yes, I’ve seen and taken part in both of these.

That’s the point of religion – to spread.  Otherwise it would just be a cult.

Edit: For clarity, this first bit was directed to Smurfette.

You’re right, the world hasn’t made any progress in the last few centuries.

[quote=“MiG”]
I’m talking about Church-owned media.  Ie: they own the TV or radio station.  But yeah, they also advertise on regular media as well.  Again, you haven’t seen it, I get that.[/quote]

That’s what I’m talking about too. If someone is dumb enough to tune into GodTV and then complain they’re being advertised to, that’s their problem.

As for regular media, I believe you–I’ve just never heard of or seen a Catholic version of these programs. And again, I’m talking about advertisements. Not shows talking about God or reading from the Bible, but shows saying “Join the Catholic Church.”

The point of religion, most anyways, is to help people. You might see non-Catholic kids being fed and cared for by missionaries–and being taught prayers–as negative, but I dunno… better back to a life of poverty than have God in a classroom, I guess.

[quote=“eccentric”]
That’s what I’m talking about too. If someone is dumb enough to tune into GodTV and then complain they’re being advertised to, that’s their problem.[/quote]

I’d bet if I dropped you in a some countries, you wouldn’t be able to identify the Catholic-owned media.  I was certainly surprised to find that the most popular radio station in one country was Catholic-owned.  Same with a TV station. 

Normal programming included American pop music on the radio, and Soap operas on the TV station.  That’s how they get people to tune in. 

You see where that line of thinking goes, right? 

The point of religion is to spread.

You’ll be happy to know that the Catholic church has adopted a lot of what you find distasteful in other religions.  Especially in countries where its dominance is being challenged. 

Great post, thats exactly how they operated. Ok, I cant resist, its time to cutt through the bullshit and get to the meat and potatoes of this subject. It would take me a year to type out all I have to say about this “God/Jesus/creator” that I’ll try to keep it real simple and start with most obvious and simple concepts. Lets start with the claim god is "all knowing, knows the future, he knows every thought you have ever had or will ever have, he “knows how many hairs are on your head at any given time”, he knows the exact second you will die already.
     Well thats a complete contradiction, we are supposedly at the same time operating under free will, we are free to make our own choices in life, but if we dont get it right by the time our life ends its the lake of fire for rejecting god, yet he knows the future so he knows how it ends for us all before we are even born, so much for free will. You cannot have both free will and know the future at the same time, if you know the final outcome there is no free will, the future is already predetermined, you cant have it both ways and I see that as a huge fundamental flaw in the very description of this “god”, and there is another huge flaw in that concept, if he knows the future that means he also knows his own future so is also a automaton just like us, if he knows his own future then it is already been determined so even he has no abillity to change it. If it sounds like a paradox thats because it is.
  We also have to wonder if he knows the future and how our life ends, that we go through life denying he exists and we get sent to hell, whats the point of letting us even be born? Because he wants to burn us later on? That brings us to the next fundemental flaw, if he “all loving, all good” then WTF did he create hell for, thats certainly not a loving way to treat people so we must accept that at a certain point he is no longer all loving, that he reaches a point where he is unwilling to forgive you and wants to punish you. thats not love, thats vengeance and its the complete opposite of love. Therefore we can conclude he is not “all loving”, sometimes he wants to punish and exact revenge and those are NOT loving qualities, period.
   If that isnt enough, he stacks the deck against us, he unleashes a supernatural being named satan with magical abilities to trick us and trip us up, us mere humans dont have a prayer against a being like that who is allowed to alter the natural laws to fool us into disbelief in god and get us into the lake of fire, thats his entire mission here and god has permitted this, another unloving quality, he must enjoy watching us suffer at satans hands as he is tha alpha and omega, he knew what satan was gonna do long before he created the evil bastard cause he know the future yet he went ahead with it anyways knowing all along the misery he would create for the stupid mortal humans, so all our pain and misery was planned by this all loving god, that isnt all loving, its cruel and unusual punishment. I could go on for days with more examples of the paradox and impossibillity of the existance of this “god” but I’ll end it for now and wait for the christians to step up and answer some of these questions as I doubt many of them have ever even considered their belief at its fundamental level, can the biblical description of god even be possible?

how did this go from someones bike being stolen to god?

Yes, it should be split. Moderators?

The most Catholic country on Earth is the Philippines. Which is currently using military force to spread the Good Word to its Muslim population.

That’s how it works. Next door to the Philippines you have the biggest Muslim nation, and they’re using military force to spread their Good Word to its Catholic population.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_God_Delusion

Say the word “God” in an internet forum.

Time how quickly it takes for it to heat up into some form of debate/argument.

How come the dinosaurs aren’t mentioned in the Bible?    Just askin’… :smiley:

tryin to find the easiest way to transfer old files from a old hd to dvd.  Most likely win 95

just use norton and transfer it to a data disc

It creeps me out reading some of this stuff, but any google search will give you the answer.  For example.

from gotquestions.org/dinosaurs-Bible.html

Question: “What does the Bible say about dinosaurs? Are there dinosaurs in the Bible?”

Those who believe in a younger age for the earth tend to agree that the Bible does mention dinosaurs though it never actually uses the word “dinosaur.â€

I personally don’t see these ads any as anything different than the ads for the Mormon Church or the Jehovah’s Witnesses.  They are ads that are sharing a groups personal view on god. 

I’ll make it a bit simpler for you as the reason is quite simple as to why they are never mentioned, its because the bible is full of shit. When it was written they were too stupid to consider the discoveries that the future would have proving their holy scripture false, the dinosaurs are the tip of the iceberg when it comes to proving the bible false. Not only is the biblical accounts of history false the church attempted to prevent the truth from being discovered and stiffled any discoveries that proved it false, look how they treated galileo and the rest of the eary “scientists”, they did everything they could to conceal the true nature of our existence, including murdering anyone who provided facts that exposed the bible as false, so much for “thou shalt not kill”. Humanity would be at least a thousand years ahead of where we are now in reguards to knowledge if it were not for the christians murdering anyone and everyone who exposed their holy scripture as false with evidence and facts.
  We can conclude the church’s motive was to keep humanity “stupid” so as to maintain their rule over the masses, the church leaders at that time were treated and lived like royalty does now, they had a vested interest in preventing the truth from being brought into the light and did so for as long as they could. Most christians will tell you the church and the bible are all about “truth”, but as we investigate history we find they were about power and control, the furthest thing from the truth, they cared nothing of the truth, do some reasearch into the life of galileo if you doubt what I am saying, and he was far from the only one just he is someone who is known to most of us today and easy to research so dont take my word for it, do your own homework. Later today I will start to rip apart the biblical stories and expose them as the lies that they are, I’ll start with noah and the flood seeing as it is mentioned in that article that was pasted, another common story that is generally accepted by all christians as a factual event yet under even the simplest of investigation the entire story falls to pieces, its complete bullshit and I will prove it I just havnt time right now, I shall repost later today.

Perhaps take an example from the Bible and break down your analysis into books or at least paragraphs and sentences so it isn’t such torture to try and understand.

Your kidding right? How bout “copy and paste” then burn, or is that too hard for you?

religioustolerance.org/reciproc.htm

um wrong thread? maybe? lol

nah right thread, was trying to impress upon chrisj the need to do unto others as others would do unto you, he was being a tad harsh on poor billy. If you look at his avator and rants in other threads you’ll see the approach taken :imp:

yea thought about it after thought that may have been your discretion lol