Dave's Oyster Bar / Food Network in Prince Rupert

Dissapointed to see that they have chosen to make this more of a “fine dining” rather than a casual type of restaurant. Most residents of Prince Rupert can’t afford a “fine dining” experience and, if they can, there is always Lush or The Crest to choose from. The food will have to be outstanding for a place like this to survive!

Hopefully these little problems work themselves out.

I have also heard not too great things about this new place (especially about price in relation to experience/quality of food) but I am going to give it a try for myself and see how it goes.

The Menu reminds me about the Rain menu & how friggen pricey and lame the menu is. Yeah I thought it would be a simplier menu at this new restaurant. I give it 6 months unless some1 has a rich partner in this business to keep it afloat

Finally checked out the new establishment. My experience was not perfect. In my opinion they are on the right track just need to work a few kinks out. The food was very tasty even if it was only warm. Not sure what is going wrong but the food is being served warm instead of hot, maybe the plates are too cold or its sitting too long before its brought to the table. The prices are pretty high but you get a good size portion. Some appys are more for 2 people rather than 1. And Dave’s Foggy well words can’t do it justice you just have to try it. Keep working the kinks out guys you are definately on the right track. On a scale 1-10 I would rate it at 6 and climbing. This is just my opinion check it out and form your own.

From what I’ve read here, I have no interest in trying this restaurant until they get the kinks out.

Keeping in mind Soggy that 85% of these forum users love to bitch, whine, and complain about anything new that comes to this town. Try it for yourself and make your own judgment, don’t be another follower. If you follow, you are letting the North Koreans and Sarah Palin win.

The prices don’t look too expensive to me. When you consider how the economy is going, they have to pay for the food before you get it dontcha know, they’ve got to make a profit somewhere. AS for things needing to be ironed out, it seems reasonable to expect a few kinks in a new restaraunt. Refusing to go there doesn’t make things any better, how are the staff going to learn if there’s never any customers. Oh, and if you have a problem, make it known to the management, that’s the only way things will be fixed.

Again, people come on here to complain, and ruin the reputation of new restaraunts, why would ANYONE want to open anything up in this snobbish town. That’s right, I said it, SNOBBISH!

A new restaraunt can’t be perfect and they get better by more customers, and constructive criticism. not online smearing.

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]The prices don’t look too expensive to me. When you consider how the economy is going, they have to pay for the food before you get it dontcha know, they’ve got to make a profit somewhere. AS for things needing to be ironed out, it seems reasonable to expect a few kinks in a new restaraunt. Refusing to go there doesn’t make things any better, how are the staff going to learn if there’s never any customers. Oh, and if you have a problem, make it known to the management, that’s the only way things will be fixed.

Again, people come on here to complain, and ruin the reputation of new restaraunts, why would ANYONE want to open anything up in this snobbish town. That’s right, I said it, SNOBBISH!

A new restaraunt can’t be perfect and they get better by more customers, and constructive criticism. not online smearing.[/quote]

As long as there is a value for the money I dont mind spending $$ on a nice dinner. Problem is it seems peoples definitions of a ‘nice dinner’ mean something else up north. I took the wife for a ‘nice dinner’ at sonbadas in Terrace and man did I get my 80.00 worth (no booze). Rice that had been sitting in a pot cooking all fucking day until it was mushy starchy crap. Wifes food tasted like lighter fluid and we were told by multiple people how it is a good place to get a ‘nice dinner’. The staff was very friendly but the food sucked so I’m hesitant to try anything up here.

In nanaimo teh wife and I had a nice 40.00 meal from a place called the grapevine. Excellent food (similar to waht we ordered at sonbadas) half the price. Probably the best restaurant food I’ve ever tasted.

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]The prices don’t look too expensive to me. When you consider how the economy is going, they have to pay for the food before you get it dontcha know, they’ve got to make a profit somewhere. AS for things needing to be ironed out, it seems reasonable to expect a few kinks in a new restaraunt. Refusing to go there doesn’t make things any better, how are the staff going to learn if there’s never any customers. Oh, and if you have a problem, make it known to the management, that’s the only way things will be fixed.

A new restaraunt can’t be perfect and they get better by more customers, and constructive criticism. not online smearing.[/quote]

You seem to imply that everyone who works at this place has never worked in a restaurant before and should therefore be allowed to learn how their job at the expense of the customers. No way I’m going to throw away my money on a place that doesn’t hire train theri own staff before i get there!! The chef should know how to prepare food and keep it hot until it arrives at the table with everybody being served virtually at once. Two identical dishes ordered should LOOK and TASTE identical, not completely different (I’ve hear that complaint).The wait staff should know how to serve the customer appropriately (eg: if you don’t put salt and pepper on the table, then come around with the peppermill).

“They get better by more customers”??? They had a tutorial from the chef from the Food Network!!

Regardless of the bitching, whining, and complaining I still won’t be trying this restaurant. It’s just more of the same type of eatery. I’m quite happy with the restaurant choices I have now; this one adds nothing new.

I assure you I’m very far from a follower. However I suspect your comments are those equivalent to those of a tea-bagger wanting to add spin with their obnoxious viewpoints and I suggest that it is you who are backing the North Koreans and Sarah Palin. :-*

[quote=“Uncle Stumbly”]

You seem to imply that everyone who works at this place has never worked in a restaurant before and should therefore be allowed to learn how their job at the expense of the customers. No way I’m going to throw away my money on a place that doesn’t hire train theri own staff before i get there!! The chef should know how to prepare food and keep it hot until it arrives at the table with everybody being served virtually at once. Two identical dishes ordered should LOOK and TASTE identical, not completely different (I’ve hear that complaint).The wait staff should know how to serve the customer appropriately (eg: if you don’t put salt and pepper on the table, then come around with the peppermill).

“They get better by more customers”??? They had a tutorial from the chef from the Food Network!![/quote]

Two of the servers are former Breakers employees and all the servers have previous experience so there should be no excuses for all the complaints to date. Customers do not want to be guinea pigs for the staff to better their skills.

My dad says that if he is going to be a guinea pig for staff to train on, the food better be free.

My dad drinks too much.

VERY IMPORTANT!!!

Could the next person to walk into Dave’s Oyster Bar PLEASE relay a message to Dave’s wife Marika? Tell her that Scott Lunn needs her to call me immediately, that it is very important. She will understand! She has my number.

Much appreciated!

You have internet access, but no phone?

Apparently I do have a phone. That is why I said she has my number. Other than that…I am sure she would appreciate it if I left it at that. Marika, call me!!!

Scott.

[quote=“scottlunn”]

Apparently I do have a phone. That is why I said she has my number. Other than that…I am sure she would appreciate it if I left it at that. Marika, call me!!!

Scott.[/quote]

If you can’t pick up a phone and call the restaurant to talk to her… well that sounds like a story that people might want to stay out of.

Thanks for the call, and I will wait for the good news to arrive. Best of luck with the Oyster Bar.

There are some changes going on right now, hopefully by mid-late Dec there will be a better flo in general, at least in the kitchen :smile:

They don’t have a heat lamp either, which is why the food sometimes arrives warm and not hot. There is one on order right now. Hopefully it turns around soon :smile:

Dave of the oyster bar…exactly how long is this line you want me to wait in? It’s a long way to Prince Rupert, but I hear it’s a beautiful drive.

Got sick after eating at Dave’s Oyster Bar over the weekend. Pls. beware!