CWN - Community Wireless Network?

I’m not sure, I’ll check and see what it offeres a little later. It is the USR with $100mail-in rebate on NCIX.

geoff would be in a good possition to setup a point, I believe

but yea, also, I would maybe buy the equipment if there was something in place, I don’t know if I’d want to buy a card and end up being the only one on the network, ya know?

I’d Be in.

I hope you didnt mind me giving your name to Monica Lamb-Yorski MiG.

No problem. I met with the Matthew guy.

Anyway, um, Rich, you wouldn’t buy anything until you had someone to connect to. If you can see the Library, for example, you can probably connect to them. They might be the first node, from what I’m hearing.

Heh, the first 6 or 7 people to take part in the CHSS “wireless test” got free cards. From me.

So maybe somebody will come up with a cheap source of equipment.

[quote=“MiG”]

Can your Wifi router do bridging? Or “Ad-hoc” mode?

If your router has the ability to connect to another wi-fi router, then it would work. The cheaper ones don’t generally work, though. I hear it’s possible to flash the bios (even install a version of linux) on some of them.[/quote]

How would I check that? I have the USR-8011 11Mb wireless router. Running xp, is there a way I can try to detect wireless networks?

i’d buy a card if this thing goes somewhere.

teres better ways than paying and hoping…

Suggestion…

To connect wireless access points (WAPs) that are too far away from each other to have a connection. Use a DSL connection and a Linux box to run a VLAN to another network.

So, in theory, I could run a wireless network here and have it connected with Prince Rupert for example.

ahh vlan, I hadn’t thought of that, I was about to post a suggestion about forwarding rupert only ips, but that probably wouldn’t happen, vlan, good idea

… I can’t see the library, but it’s close, under 100 meters, no obsticles other than houses and the like. What are you planning on using anyway? 802.11B or A? A doesn’t have as much penetration hey?

802.11g was just released recently. I’d look into that a bit more. I think thats my favorite wireless protocol.

Does it do bridging? Can you check in the manual?

Sounds good, but what about people who are farther like I’m over on 7th west :unamused:

well it would all depend on the users eh

here’s my house… sorry about the format, I have no editing software right now, maybe someone could suggest something small to download, nothing over a couple megs

I found some pic’s that might be of some help.

hackingthemainframe.com/gallery/jleaman

If you wanted to do a WLAN, you’d have to do it right with some outdoor antennas. I can’t imagine an 802.11b PCI card in the back of someone’s computer in their basement providing a lot of range.

I should have bookmarked the links, but I found a few interesting sites about outdoor WLAN setups. I’d run an extension cord and some ethernet cable to my roof, where that’d plug into an 802.11b/g transceiver, with an antenna a few feet away.

2.4GHz coaxial cable is pretty expensive, so you wouldn’t want your transceiver far away from the antenna, whereas extension cables and cat 5 is pretty cheap. An outdoor box for the router/bridge/whatever could be built or had for cheap too.

I’d go for 802.11g too. That extra speed sounds tasty.

yea, I was looking at that map, and at 100 m I could hardly make it a block, some kind of antenni would probably be needed and such

I made a big antenni for my remote control car a few years ago out of coat hooks and brooms, worked good I had like a very big range from my porch I could go down the street and across the intersection, about 100 feet or so, Something like that would work

How to Make a Simple 2.425GHz Helical Aerial for Wireless ISM Band Devices

http://www.wireless.org.au/~jhecker/helix/helical.html

Dammit, I’d love to do something like that here…