CWN - Community Wireless Network?

Would you take part in a Prince Rupert wireless network?

• yes
  • no

0 voters

What do you think about creating a Community Wireless Network? This would be like a big Prince Rupert LAN, not necessarily for internet access, but for sharing files, games, etc. Connections would be with wireless cards and access points.

We’d have to build the network ourselves. Maybe start with a couple of nodes and work from there.

Check out:

bcwireless.net

What do you think?

[quote=“MiG”]What do you think about creating a Community Wireless Network? This would be like a big Prince Rupert LAN, not necessarily for internet access, but for sharing files, games, etc. Connections would be with wireless cards and access points.

We’d have to build the network ourselves. Maybe start with a couple of nodes and work from there.

Check out:

bcwireless.net

What do you think?[/quote]

Be cool but where to you put access points to get coverage? Put something on top of cityhall maybe? Cell tower above Roosevelt School?
What areas would you like to see covered? Downtown? Cowbay?

I’d be interesting in participating, getting a card or access point though, that’d be a major setback, but I’d like to get one eventually, so maybe I’d do so if I was in range of said network.

Anyway I think some kind of local network would be a great idea.

CHSS would be a great spot for an access point, since it sounds like you intend this largely for home users, and there are tons of homes in the area (most notably, mine).

I think the idea is we do point-to-point mainly.

We have one guy connected to another, who connects to another, etc. If you had the equipment, you’d find someone who is part of the network and connect to them.

Yea chss is a perfect spot for an access point im willing to purchase some hardware after i get my system up and running anyways…

I honestly don’t think that it would work out too well. There is still a lot of questions and not as many answers for security problems with wireless networks, in my opinion. Also, (and I could be wrong) but isn’t the amount of bandwidth always shared with wireless networks? Say we have 802.11B, would everyone have to share that same 11Mb?

Oh, and Borges, have you got a chance to try the new Windows Movie Maker? I know you hate the program, but there was just a 2.0 version released, and I was looking through it, and it sure seems to have a hell of a lot more features and stuff.

There’s only security problems for people who think that there should be layer 1 or 2 security. If you think that, then you’re very naive about how the internet works.

Wireless replaces wires. You think wires are secure?

[quote]
Also, (and I could be wrong) but isn’t the amount of bandwidth always shared with wireless networks? Say we have 802.11B, would everyone have to share that same 11Mb?[/quote]

Well, it’s 55 megabit now, but no, you’re wrong anyway. Why do you think switches and routers were invented? Wireless replaces wires. Do you think that everyone on a 100megabit network shares the 100 megabits?

But still sucks.

ok, say this wireless company came, they wwould need a tower, and the information would have to go to somewhere, probably terrace, than to george or whatever, but we would need the use of reapeaters too… it would cost the… whoever pays, a hell of a lot for just a big LAN

I honestly think that a big wireless network would be a great idea. Dave Doucette has set up a few… he said its easy as hell, and provided you are running a secure OS on the server running the network, its as secure as any “wire” network. Of course it would be alot of work setting this up, but i’m more than sure that we can get enough help to set up the system. The range on the new 55Megabit routers is astonding… upto 10km provided there is a clear path between nodes.

No, the point isn’t internet access, that would come later.

The point would be just to connect people locally. For free, at high speeds. You could share files, play games, do VOIP, whatever.

At those kinds of speeds, you could have a file server like we do at CHSS, or something. The internet isn’t the only purpose for a network :wink:

As for who pays, well, if I connect to you, I pay for my equipment, you pay for yours. Maybe $50 for a card on e-bay, and a Pringles can.

?

Take a look at this page:

bcwireless.net/moin.cgi/PrinceRupert

They’ve updated the stuff for Rupert.

Mig do you have a plan layed out for the wireless stuff. If people want to do it will you actualy start it. Ill help out in any way.

Jason, please don’t help. Your record says Creative Systems.

Therfore they see that “wow a creative systesm employee is working on this project, Lets not do it”

bah i dunno just ranting,
i like the idea mig, but would the speeds be good?

yeah, they would be if it was set up correctly

Well, like it would be point to point. If anybody is in line of site to my house, you could connect to me for free, and share files, etc.

Then anybody could connect to them, etc. Lots of etc. It just starts to grow like that.

Most of the major cities, including Vancouver, have community wireless nets.

What kinda security are you going to use then. Are you only gong to let people that email you or contact you to be on your wirless. Are you going to ue mac address’s for security. ?

whats wirless?

Jason: With how he’s describing it, the idea is that it would be a public access point… why would he not let someone on it?