CWN - Community Wireless Network?

Timbits, look out a high window, then ask some one to kick you in your ass…

We need to get a map going and mark out potential nodes, where you at mig? you already have some wireless hardware hey?

I’m on 8th right now, right beside the old king ed, anyone think they’re in range?

why not set it up exactly like the internet and assign ip’s via dhcp? run a local dns on several machines have several dhcp servers/gateways on multiple nodes set it using the internet as a model? or am i just retarded and thats what your plan is?

Yeah, what number on 8th? Cause I’m thinking of putting a node near there, and another one here at my place (5th East).

Anyway, we’re still in the ‘discussion’ phase. The library guys are interested as well.

And yeah, MrJ, that’s the model we’d be following.

Sharing your internet access isn’t the point, though (and probably not a good idea, CityTel wouldn’t like that).

Here’s an analogy, that I’ve seen used at parties in Vancouver.

What’s the best way to prevent the police from coming and busting up a party? Talk to the police. For instance, when my frat had a party, we called the police, and said, “We’re having a pretty big party, probably around 300 people, on November 7. We have a liquor license etc… any problems with that?” We also talked to the people in apartments within a block from the frat house, and gave them our presidents’ cell phone number, and said that if they have any noise complaints, call him and we’ll work something out.

The point is, the best way to get Citytel to not get mad at anyone? Get Citytel involved. Someone (probably MiG) should call Citytel, and say, “Hey, this is what we’re doing? Do you have any concerns? We can put in safeguards so as not to share outbound Internet connections, and in fact the whole thing is going to be entirely independent of your equipment blah blah blah.” And at worst, they’ll keep on eye on you to make sure that they’re not losing anything, and at best, they’ll get deeply involved, to the point of taking over the project, centralizing and standardizing it, and making some equipment purchases and stuff. Anyhow, I definitely recommend calling them and at least giving them the heads up.

Well put, Eso.

We’ll definitely talk to them about it. Citytel’s been pretty good about community stuff in the past (remember SmartLink? Couldn’t have happened without them).

I do remember i remember the EA sports thing. :smiley:

i got a free game!

[quote=“MiG”]

Yeah, what number on 8th? Cause I’m thinking of putting a node near there, and another one here at my place (5th East).

Anyway, we’re still in the ‘discussion’ phase. The library guys are interested as well.

Sharing your internet access isn’t the point, though (and probably not a good idea, CityTel wouldn’t like that).[/quote]

why would you say that , you said yourself that citytel bends over backwards to provide internet by running at a loss
you think they would care if people shared bandwith

i also have wireless access point and i am on 5th

im game to do that

Umm, let’s say that you have a Citytel account, and then you share it freely with other people, you’re probably violating something. I’m sure there’s a fair use clause for your own household, but that’s it.

humm citytel dont seem to care when people share there their dialup acct’s

they have no limit on how many times you can login at one time

Put a node at my house or nextdoor. I promise I won’t complain :stuck_out_tongue:

Am I able to send/recieve data from other wireless networks if I only have a WI-Fi router? Or do I need at least one card in a machine.

[quote=“MiG”]

Sharing your internet access isn’t the point, though (and probably not a good idea, CityTel wouldn’t like that).[/quote]

338th, like right right beside the old king ed, I think I’m in a semi-decent spot hill wise, 5th easts, thats right by the old rjs hey? well unless your on the 5th east way over by seal cove.

Can your Wifi router do bridging? Or “Ad-hoc” mode?

If your router has the ability to connect to another wi-fi router, then it would work. The cheaper ones don’t generally work, though. I hear it’s possible to flash the bios (even install a version of linux) on some of them.

MAndrake Linux…

What about sd52 wireless setup. He ( dave ) can be part of this too can’t he. ?

[quote=“OMEGA”]humm citytel dont seem to care when people share there their dialup acct’s

they have no limit on how many times you can login at one time[/quote]

But let’s say 1 person bought a dialup account, and then shared it with 10000 other people. Citytel would be providing service for 10000 users and only billing for 1. I know Citytel is city-owned and accepts taking losses sometimes to provide a decent service, but I’m sure even they wouldn’t find that a viable economic model.

get a real distro :unamused:

Looks like you can grab a PCI card for 110 bucks on NCIX.

If had a gaurentee that I’m not gonna be the only person in range with a wireless card, I’ll buy one.

And if I can find some documentation on setting up a great big aerial antenna on my roof.

I hate those little home DSL router things. I’ll take a big noisey Pentium running Linux 2.4 to one any day. I’d toss the access card in that thing, and route accordingly.

yea i have setup a couple of those routers now they are easy to setup but other than that i dont like them.