Cruise Ship Season

I thought the train was a good idea but to where? Maybe if it ran out to the Skeena and then stopped at the Cannery on the way back?

A big 6 X 6 that drove you to the top of Hayes for the view and a BBQ? Kinda nasty in the rain though…but it doesn’t rain on cruise ship Thursdays!!

Ketchikan runs a timber show…why not put on some sort of logger sports show? Must be some sort of suitable venue available on Watson…I wonder if it could be done once a week in the arena with the ice out…it seats a thousand or more. Ceiling’s too low though. And it would be loud…

How about a tour of what is rally happening in and around Rupert, take them for tour through Crack Alley around 7Th.,walk down in front of Highliner, Sally Ann Soup Kitchen and last but not least a crash course on Pan Handle. Reality what a concept.

When the first cruise ships came in, prior to the Superport, there was a great train than ran out the Skeena and stopped at the Cannery also, I believe,  but the cost was prohibitive and for some reason only ran for 2 seasons.  Then came the Port  :imp: The Mount Hays idea is a great one!  I always thought what a great way to make a few bucks during the summer transporting tourists to the summit, providing a BBQ, would be great for photo ops.  It is beautiful up there and some of them are unable to walk that terrain or there is the time constraints also! Now we have Mariners Park all dug up so when the ship comes in next week, no access there but what happened to the Native Dancers that used to greet them and the vendors?  Don’t we have something to offer them?  I watch them walk around in Cow Bay and unless they have a tour booked or a charter, they look lost and bored.  It is rather embarrassing!  What exactly does our Tourism office do anyway?  When their bureau was located at Atlin, I would venture in occasionally and the woman behind the desk would just look at me, no welcome smile, no offer of assistance, nothing !  Great way to welcome our tourists !

I wasn’t sure if the train stopped at the Cannery…maybe it should run up to Polymar Bar and everyone can throw a line in the water for a few hours.  Anybody catches a fish, they can bring it to the Cannery and see if the machinery still works.  heh

Looks like the tourism office is shut was down there last week there was a notice on the window.  WTH?

They moved. They’re in the Museum now. Budget cuts, consolidation measures…

Good question!  What do they do?  Seriously, anybody have any idea?

Hand out maps of the city  :smiley:

They’re supposed to welcome guests and be friendly and give information on the town and the surrounding areas… Directions, etc.

But, I’m sure most people see it as a job, and have no passion.

I wonder if they’re currently hiring, I’d love a job there.

speaking of what do they do, I heard the port hired a guy a couple of years ago just to work on developing the cruise business in Rupert, and apparently he used to work on cruise ships.  I wonder who’s talked to him and what he thinks of all this and what needs to be done, might be an idea…

That seems to be the problem wankelrotaryengine, nobody talks to anyone. People are quite content to sit behind a terminal , fabricate innuendos and post them on a forum.

Pick up a phone, or better yet, walk (heaven forbid) down and talk to someone face to face. Stimulate a conversation, ask questions and do a bit of research. At least then, one might have a leg to stand on when they offer an opinion.

Maybe this will help Bubbasteve735 when it comes to starting sentences with “But, I’m sure…”

While I agree that our community has to really work on finding ways to entice the cruise ships to stay and help the passengers discover the things that we all love about our community, I also believe that all of us play a role in the success of tourism in Prince Rupert. I get so tired of reading the complaints and finger pointing on this forum. As the saying goes, if you aren’t part of the solution - you’re part of the problem… so, what are you going to do to enhance the community? There are lots of opportunities to make a difference - pick one and help make our city a better place for residents and visitors alike!
That’s my two cents :smile:

Ditto…  today the first cruise ship docks in Rupert… 4pm

Don’t spend too much time waiting in the rain for your ship to arrive, the first ship of the season arrives tomorrow :imp:

rupertport.com/pdf/cruisesched.pdf

lmao… thanks DarcyMcGee…I thought today was thurs.  :-D