Cruise Ship Season

I ONLY wish I could have MY buisness Idea for hear. but that is not happening  :confused:

I don’t think they give a damn either, it just show a little level of consideration on behalf of the city.  As for shopping, well, shit out of luck there and as for wildlife, yep, they like to stand around Cow Bay to get their eagle shots and as I said before, here’s hoping the charters have a good season ! Someone has to benefit from them docking here  :neutral_face:

codybear…'had a bad day or what?  ‘ya seem to be goin’ off. :angry:

Nope, had a good day thanks, just commenting on prpals’ post, is all !  I actually enjoy chatting with the passengers down in Cow Bay, sit at Cows and have a coffee with them.  I guess I am ashamed that we have nothing to offer them and saddened by that fact for our community.  Not a rant, just thinkin’ out loud !

no worries…‘just poken’ fun.

Mmounties on Llamas…now even I would pay for a photo op like that :smiley:

I always thought the widlife shelter should bring critters down for photo ops on cruise ship day; digital camera, printer and a tent - VOILA!! -  charge 5-10 bucks a photo like they do at science world or the aquarium in vancouver.

We live in a bloody rainforest, I;d like to see canopy tours and a zip line here - its a tourist attraction!!

And I like the idea of mounties on llamas - that would awesome!!

:smiley:

I like your idea Stacked but might be easier if we, with their permission, offered small tours to their sanctuary to see the eagles and other wildlife and see the work they do there. Gunter and Nancy work in 4 hour shifts and rarely have time for themselves but wouldn’t it be great for them to have that exposure and for people to see their value to our community. It would be nice to see them come up to the SPCA also but I guess we are more on the tame side, for the most part  :smiley: We would love for them to come and visit us also !

Gunther  probably wont go for that,  seing that they are trying to rehabilitate these animals for the wild,  and alot of human exposure isn’t good .

Even if you, by yourself,  wants to go see the birds ,  he likes it if you ophone and ask first ,

its just like an animal hospital and it is not funded by the province the poor couple that run it put in 80% or more out of their own pocket  and work really hard to help the birds and other animals get back into the wild as soon as possible.

My sugestion is if you want to do eagle tours the dump has  100’s of eagles that are easy to get close to and enjoy .

no need to even travel that far, just have one of boats from the fish plants dump some fish heads and guts into the harbour as the cruise ship arrives, instant tourist attraction, as the eagles dive and fight, of course we can’t be responsible for any by-product from the show, it truly is one of those watch at your own risk affairs.

What do people want when they come to a community like Prince Rupert.  They are not coming for the shopping except for the souvenir type “junk” - spoons, trinkets, tee shirts - that all tourists take home.

The tourists have pretty much anything they want on the ship.  What do they want when they get off.  What would we want?  Something different from home.  Some scenery or wildlife or a different culture.  The history of the area pre and post contact would be of interest. 

The problem facing a business dedicated to the cruise ships is that it is a one day a week job.  Is it worth it to set up mini tours of the area for one day if there are no customers the rest of the week.  We do not have the luxury of places like Barkerville who receive large tour groups every day. 

No fish plant’s will do that anymore, the fine imposod is huge. They consider offal (waste product) unless it can be rendered in time and turned into dog/cat food.

I am not saying the fish plant did this logboom but my fella and I watched last year at Rushbrook as a mound of fish heads and guts was dropped in the parking lot by where the fish plant employees eat lunch.  We were able to get some great photos of the eagles swooping down and filling their bellies!  Someone dumped them and the employees were enjoying the show also!

It is a good way to get them to come around. We could send them (tourists) to the rendering plant at JS the eagles hang out there all day, but the smell my god. As for them dumping the heads where the employees eat lunch that is gross, LOL.

I’ve always thought that having the gun emplacements etc out by Ridley cleaned up and restored as an interpretive site with a campsite would be well worth the effort. How many Yanks went through here in WWII? 40,000? If any of the cruise ship passengers were actually here or their dad or uncle or whatever…they’d love to go back and see some of the sites and look at pictures from that time.

Outside of Port Townsend in Washington is a beautiful spot call Fort Worden with two campsites (one on the beach and one in the trees), some restored buildings (offices and barracks), old bunkers and artillery emplacements…it’s fantastic.
parks.wa.gov/fortworden/activities.aspx

I think the Port (or whoever) should develop a similar model out on Ridley with a campsite and restore (or at least clean up) some of the gun emplacements and pillboxes. Rebuild a couple small buildings on the existing footings to show grainy film footage and stills that tell the story. Put in a boat launch and a small fish and chips stand.

It’s gold, I tell you!!

I believe there is a fine for any person caught feeding the Eagles, I think the pirch at the cannery by the cruise ship dock was ordered to be taken down for that very reason.

Just saw this today… bad news followed by a good idea.

Prince Rupert 2010 Cruise Season Holding Steady
Overall, the Alaska cruise market is expected to contract by an estimated 140,000 passengers in 2010 due to the loss of 4 cruise ships from the British Columbia - Alaska cruise theatre.

First Nations Canoe
Cruise passengers will be offered a unique tour excursion experience this year in a 65-foot canoe similar to the traditional ocean-going craft used by local First Nations peoples for centuries. The canoe is also the longest of its kind in North America.

Mr. Stevenson says the priorities for the 2010 season are to build on the success of the tour excursion program and work with Prince Rupert stakeholders to enhance independent guest experience in and around the city. A key addition to the tour excursions is the introduction of the 65-foot war canoe, longest of its kind in North America, by Metlakatla First Nations’ Seashore Charters.

I’m gunna set up my card table and see if I can play some poker with the tourists…
make some pocket money, so I can fly to the PNE in august… :smiley:

We should have a cultural street party like at the  in Vancouver
Olympics.

Carbon copying things from Vancouver would make Rupert very lame.

Any original ideas?