Crappy West

OUr family purchased two cell phones ( sorry we traded 2 old ones in and got new ones for $50 in Feb) one broke, and when we started this I specifically asked what happens if it breaks and I was told to bring it in and we would get a  new one. Well today I went in with a broken phone and they said oh sorry it is not covered under warranty you can buy a phone for $240.00~ WTH so I am stuck in a contract with a phone that doesn’t work till next March a!
Suggestions!

Ouch!  Well, they should live up to their policies and get you a new phone; it should be under warranty.  Everything that is new, (electronics) are under warranty for at least a year. 

What kind of phone did u get?

This is right off of the Citywest site.

For example, for the LG Wine 3 Year contract…

1. WHAT THIS WARRANTY
    COVERS:
    LG offers you a limited warranty
    that the enclosed subscriber unit
    and its enclosed accessories will
    be free from defects in material
    and workmanship, according to
    the following terms and
    conditions:
    (1) The limited warranty for the
    product extends for ONE (1)
    year beginning on the date of
    purchase of the product by
    the original end user.
    (2) The limited warranty extends
    only to the original end user
    of the product and is not
    assignable or transferable to
    any subsequent
    purchaser/end user.
    (3) This warranty is good only
    to the original end user of
    the product during the
    warranty period as long as it
    is in Canada.
    (4) Upon request from LG, the
    consumer must provide
    information to reasonably
    prove the date of purchase.
    (5) During the applicable
    warranty period, LG will
    repair or replace at LG’s sole
    option, without charge to
    the original end user, any
    defective component part of
    the phone or accessory.
    (6) LG may, use rebuilt,
    reconditioned, or new parts
    or components when
    repairing any product or
    replace a product with a
    rebuilt, reconditioned or
    new product.

2. WHAT THIS WARRANTY
    DOES NOT COVER:
    (1) Defects or damages
    resulting from use of the
    product in other than its
    normal and customary
    manner.
    (2) Defects or damages from
    abnormal use, abnormal
    conditions, improper
    storage, exposure to
    moisture or dampness,
    unauthorized modifications,
    unauthorized connections,
    unauthorized repair, misuse,
    neglect, abuse, accident,
    alteration, improper
    installation, or other acts
    which are not the fault of LG,
    including damage caused by
    spills of food or liquids.
    (3) Breakage or damage to
    antennas unless caused
    directly by defects in
    material or workmanship.
    (4) If the carrier’s or
    manufacturer’s Customer
    Service Centre was not
    notified by the end user of
    the alleged defect or
    malfunction of the product,
    during the warranty period.
    (5) Products which have had
    their serial numbers removed
    or made illegible.
    (6) Damage resulting from use
    of non-LG approved
    accessories.
    (7) All plastic surfaces and all
    other externally exposed
    parts that are scratched or
    damaged due to normal
    customer use.
    (8) Products serviced by nonauthorized
    persons or
    companies.

Notes:
(1) This limited warranty is in lieu of
all other warranties, express or
implied either in fact or by
operations of law, statutory or
otherwise, including, but not
limited to any implied warranty of
merchantability or fitness for a
particular purpose.
(2) Shipping damage is the sole
responsibility of the shipping
company.

1. EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY:
    No other express warranty is
    applicable to this product.
    THE DURATION OF ANY
    IMPLIED WARRANTIES,
    INCLUDING THE IMPLIED
    WARRANTY OF
    MARKETABILITY, IS LIMITED
    TO THE DURATION OF THE
    EXPRESS WARRANTY
    HEREIN. LG ELECTRONICS
    CANADA, INC. SHALL NOT
    BE LIABLE FOR THE LOSS OF
    THE USE OF THE PRODUCT,
    INCONVENIENCE, LOSS OR
    ANY OTHER DAMAGES,
    DIRECT OR
    CONSEQUENTIAL, ARISING
    OUT OF THE USE OF, OR
    INABILITY TO USE, THIS
    PRODUCT OR FOR ANY
    BREACH OF ANY EXPRESS
    OR IMPLIED WARRANTY,
    INCLUDING THE IMPLIED
    WARRANTY OF
    Merchantability APPLICABLE
    TO THIS PRODUCT.
  2. HOW TO GET WARRANTY
    SERVICE:
    To obtain warranty service,
    please call the following
    telephone number from
    anywhere in Canada:
    LG Electronics Canada, Inc.
    Tel. 1-888-542-2623

Thanks for the info … I guess dropping the phone limits the liablity to me!  SUcks though won’t be using crappy west after my contract is upme thinks!

Shouldn’t have told them you dropped it

I agree.  It’s nice to try and be completely honest all the time, but sometimes it is better not to speak up.  However, if it is obvious that the damage was as a result of dropping the phone, couldn’t they also refuse warranty?  I don’t know all the logistics there…

You call it crappy west, when it’s the PHONE MANUFACTURER who makes the warranty? I see, so you want them to take a loss, and give you a new phone, even though it was completely your fault the phone broke in the first place. The replacement thing is for faulty merchandise, not for dropping phones, etc. And it only lasts a few months after the purchase. Rogers would have been the same to deal with, but you’d have had to wait on the phone to talk to someone, then send it in and see if they would replace it for you… wow, and you’d pick them, over going in and talking to a real person, and at least knowing right away that you were screwed?

Ive had a cell phone with citywest since I was 16. And I have never had any problems with stuff like this. Common sense, take care of your phone.

It’s not that you dropped it that bugs me, it’s that you are persecuting citywest, and giving them a bad name for something that is YOUR FAULT!!!

Maxwell, if you have an old CDMA phone, they might be able to activate it for you on your account.  I might even have one you could have.  Otherwise, ask how much it is to buy your contract out and go to Rogers. 

How much is it worth it to them to keep you as a customer? 

The price of a cheap phone?  If not, walk away.

I have one too. my old phone.

Bur seriously, if it’s the customers fault, no service provider would replace it, it’s not about citywest.

Other carriers do almost anything to keep customers. I called Telus on behalf of someone recently. Got them a Port Ed number and a cheaper plan all by just saying that I was considering moving to Rogers.

If Citywest wants to keep you as a customer, giving you an old CDMA phone isn’t outrageous. It’s good service.

I say that Citywest sucks too.  My last phone went t/u three days before the end of the one year.  No explanation nor misuse on my part - just dead.  Citywest would not honour the one year warranty.  This was a couple of months before Rogers so I had to lock into another year again.  This new phone has lasted 15 months now and my contract is all over but I’m still with them only because I don’t want to change my number.  However, with all the troubles lately I’m “this close” to going to Rogers.  I figure that because I only use the phone about 80 minutes a month I’d be equally well off going with pay as you go.

I am not mad about the phone more the lack of service I asked if they had an old phone I could buy for $50 … with a teenager and texting cell phones don’t last long. I have had numerous issues with cell service as have others as well as poor reception with cable and rude customer service this was just the last straw I don’t expect a new phone, I just don’t expect to have to buy one that is all this thread was about.

Thanks for the input and opnions.

Mig

I will check into the contract price and I may take you up on your offer of an old phone are you back from Vegas already?

What is everyones’ opinion of the pay as you go phones that 7-11 offers? Are they worth the initial $60. ? At least there are no contracts to be concerned about…

The phones themselves look crappy, feel crappy, and probably won’t last very long in high use. But for a person who doesn’t use their phone that much. I would reccomend them.

I also have a flip phone that I upgraded from back in Feb of 08.  It works perfectly fine, and looks brand new as it has always been in a plastic case.  I have a few accessories for it as well. 

Mig, I agree with you.  That is a great idea.  :wink:

Last month I purchased a new pontiac wave.  Two weeks ago I hit a tree.  I went back to GM and told them they should replace it.  They said no, the warranty doesn’t cover damage caused by accidents.  I got really mad and swore at the person and told them next time I am getting a Ford.  If they really wanted to keep my business they should have given me a new one or at least a turned in lease.  Now I have these stupid car payments that I’m still making and the car is no good.

Typical in this town, no one understands customer service. :wink:

10 years ago I had a Nokia phone as big as a brick but the damn thing was bullet proof.  I don’t know how may times I dropped that sucker hard and it still worked as advertised.

You can break the new ones by looking at them too hard.  And if you have kids you need that insurance.

I used to do pay as you go Cody.  It’s fine for limited usage, but we dropped our land line several years ago so then I was better off with a contract deal.