Covid-19 Tracker

Thanks so much, yeah my energy is a lot better today throat is still very sore and long coughing spells but not as bad .Like I said I’m not sure if I had Covid ,or just hit with an insane flu ,but the dry cough with congested lungs, like your trying to cough something up ,but cant was unusual and damn scary actually. Anyhow I hope everyone gets through this okay.

3 Likes

The problem seems to be confusion on who gets tested,who doesn’t,who and what gets isolation and for how long.

Another good site for numbers:

https://corona-stats.online

And the Canadian numbers (by province):

https://corona-stats.online/CA/

Works from the browser or the command-line as well. For example:

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 3.39.54 PM

1 Like
1 Like

I think that the state of emergency is a great idea that’s supported by our area doctors. I suspect that the city will soon enact stricter measures to combat Covid-19.

To bad I don’t do Facebook, haven’t in years .

http://www.princerupert.ca/

Latest from Mayor Brain
:point_right:Letter from the doctors of Prince Rupert supporting City Council’s decision to declare a local state of emergency:

Folks, we must act now. Currently, NO localized orders are in effect but we will have an update today. Orders will come out during this week so you must stay tuned and help spread the word. We will get them in everyone’s mailbox soon. Signage will be coming up all around town shortly as well.

:point_right: Please do not speculate on what may or may not happen. You simply just need to do what the Province has already told you to do: stay home, keep physical distance from people outside your household, go outside (with people from your household only, keep physical distance from others), wash your hands, do only what is essential.

We will provide crystal clear clarity this week on what Prince Rupert’s LOCALIZED orders will to do enhance current Provincial orders.

:point_right: I am also crafting an FAQ as people ask me similar questions such as ‘what happens if i go to terrace’, ‘what happens if I co-parent’, ‘can someone come visit me but keep their distance’, ‘what happens if friends are coming from out of town’, ‘what about industry workers’, ‘what about my business operations’, ‘what about childcare’, ‘what about the highway’, etc. (Give me your questions below, I am compiling them).

Remember, this will be our lives for months to come, and right now we are setting the foundation for a new SYSTEM of how we are to live our lives until we beat back this pandemic.

Prince Rupert has a chance to NOT be a statistic and it is up to all of us to SPEAK UP and ensure ALL members of this community are part of the solution.

:point_right: We are all in this together. Let’s be that community that beat this thing.

I will continue to listen to the advice on the ground from our physicians and we are NOT afraid to make the decisions necessary to protect this community.

Mayor Lee Brain

1 Like

People in the Fort are mainly complying, they’ve even marked the floor at the SaveOn tills to show how far to separate.
But there;s STILL stupidity running rampant. Moms shopping with newborns slung in their arms, people who insist on bringing the whole damn family into the store to buy arsewipe. Hi Uncle Fred! and running up to hug the old fart while they block the doorways. The 80 yr old a few doors down who’s self isolating but has a nonstop stream of visitors for coffee all day.
And the worst, people with immune problems like my wife, daughter, sister and B-I-Ls who are staying home to protect themselves are being treated as if they’re the carriers FFS! “Is she getting better?” No- she;s not EVER gonna get better, she’s supposed to be afraid of YOU not the other way around!
My rules:
Stay home
Wash your hands if you go anywhere
Delete effing Facebook off your computer, If you look at FB for information put the whole computer back in the box.
Never mind being tested, assume the people in the next apartment are already infected

Pretty good advice ,especially if you’re sick (like a flu from hell that I’m still fighting) presume you have Covid19 and you’re right…dont rely on Facebook.

And I know the health system is tied up ,but they keep saying locally there are no confirmed cases ,but it sure seems hit or miss when they should be testing people who are fairly sick.Extreme cough and lung congestion.

I’m hoping that minimum wage earners are given the same lattitude as industry workers with respect to essential service definitions.

We can be responsible consumers and minimize the spread without crippling the local economy.

Testing should be reserved for medical staff and maybe clearing people to go back to work.
If you’re sick, it doesn’t matter if it’s cold, flu Covid19 or leprosy - you should stay home until you’re better - even in normal times.
Like I say to the wife every time she tells me I should get my ears tested. WTF for? I know I’m hard of hearing, you know, my family knows, everyone I’ve ever met knows.

3 Likes

Latest from the Mayor

:point_right: URGENT MUST READ: What the first and MOST important local order in Prince Rupert means for you.

-ALL FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC TRAVELERS, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF ESSENTIAL SERVICES WORKERS, MUST SELF-ISOLATE FOR 14-DAYS

:point_right: What does this mean?

It means that if you are a resident or guest in Prince Rupert, and you are traveling back from any location whatsoever from any mode of transportation - be it Mexico, U.S., Vancouver, Prince George, Alberta, Terrace - ANYWHERE - you must self-isolate for 14 days upon returning.

All residents MUST operate like every other community is compromised at this point.

It doesn’t matter how close the community is.

If you decide to leave Prince Rupert at any point moving forward, which you should almost have no reason to do other than an emergency medical matter or to perform an essential service, and come into contact with anyone in any other community: you are now exposed and must self-isolate for 14 days when returning.

These are STRICT Prince Rupert local orders which are enforceable in Prince Rupert’s boundary only pursuant to Section 12 (1) of the BC Emergency Program Act.

However, just imagine Prince Rupert residents just voluntarily bought into this order without it needing to be one.

Think about it this way.

There is no ‘technically speaking’ when it comes to this virus. Technically speaking, it does not care what your circumstances are and why you need to leave Prince Rupert. It does not care about ‘I have to do xyz in Terrace’ - it does not care if someone told you they are not sick, it does not care if you only hugged your aunt in the house down the street who you trust - it will spread regardless because you are moving around too much and exposing yourself.

It’s on the hand rail, it’s on the pump handle at the gas station, it’s on the debit machine, it’s on the door knob of your friend’s place.

:point_right: You leave Prince Rupert, you are exposed.

Plain and simple.

:point_right: This is the number one doctor recommended order.

If we all believe in it, it will be enforced by your BELIEF in it - and you spreading the message that this is how we should operate is essential.

Many people don’t want to tell you these things this strongly out of fear of our collective mental health due to ongoing isolation. That’s understandable.

:point_right: But I know Rupert residents in particular can handle hard core measures to save your family, our doctors and nurses, and this entire community.

Amirite?

If you end up leaving Rupert for any reason, then you MUST ensure that you go straight to where you need to go and straight back with no physical contact whatsoever. Wash hands, wipe door handles, steering wheel, gear shift etc before and after leaving.

If you trip and fall into someone by accident when you’re in another community, when you come home, guess what: you must self-isolate for 14 days.

Got a friend coming to visit from Alberta? No, they are not coming to visit, please cancel it immediately. If they come, then you are compromised and you ALL must self-isolate for 14 days.

I hope that this provides crystal clear clarity for you.

You may have family / friends / reasons to go to Terrace or elsewhere. If you go, and interact or exchange people in households, or pick someone up from the airport there to bring them home, etc - you are now exposed and must come home and self-isolate for 14 days.

:point_right: Are you fully understanding this?

This is the new reality and if you buy in this community WILL be secured, your family WILL be safe, and we WILL beat this thing.

:point_right: What about essential service workers?

In regards to essential service workers (a full list of who qualifies will be posted soon on the City’s COVID-19 page), these rules are exempt as long as you are not showing symptoms.

Along with health care workers, critical infrastructure, food and supplies, etc, the port industry has also been deemed an essential service - and there are people who live in Terrace / Kitimat who come to Rupert to work.

Yes, that means they are allowed to travel here to work. I hear ya, but we are making big changes right now.

We are working closely with the industries to create VERY strict and streamlined protocols around these circumstances for all port operations. Our EOC has been in contact with many port operators already. The port industries fully understand their responsibility here to move quickly to protect exposure in this community. When I have more info we will release it.

:point_right: Final thoughts

This is unfortunately tough love now for us all. No mayor wants to be in this position to tell their community such things.

But this is about our survival now. This is about your families, and everything you have worked for in your life up until this moment in time.

I am a straight shooter and need to tell it to you all firmly yet fairly so we’re all on the same page. This order needs 100% buy in from everyone, NO EXCEPTIONS.

Our world has changed and we all just need to accept it. Just let go of what was. This is what is now. It sucks for everyone but we WILL get through this and Prince Rupert has been doing an AWESOME job jumping on board with fast actions that will save lives, you must understand that.

Be disciplined. Dig down deep. Don’t ever forget what those doctors wrote.

:point_right: Do not physically come into contact with anyone who doesn’t live with you.

I will be posting an FAQ soon with some more specific questions (co-parenting, boating, etc.)

I love you all and will do everything in my power to protect you and your family.

Mayor Lee Brain

PS - Now is a great time to get some exercise in, eat healthy, drink lots of water, hike, run, bike, meditate, read, craft, journal, or spring clean your house. If you’re stuck at home, why not become your best most healthy self possible? (this advice applies to me too!):muscle:

1 Like

Heck yeah, after I’m no longer sick,I’ll admit I’m looking forward to going back to the gym and work.The good news is I’m no longer living on cold remedies.Way to many products with tylenol,dont want to kill my liver .By the way ,does anyone have any links to websites concerning available gov benefits due to isolation?

1 Like

Great news!!

Links for financial support

There seems to be a lot of people upset at the provincial government suspending local states of emergencies and putting in their own province wide state of emergency.

I supported our council’s decision. It seems that what they did has pushed the province to be more proactive and council certainly deserves credit for all that they have done. But before I get too upset, what has been changed by the province that is different from what our city would have been doing.

I trust the people here more than other social media so here I am.

2 Likes

I guess I should have looked a little harder.

Lee has a statement on his facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/leebrainBC/

Saying how pleased I am at the work that our council has done - and our local doctors - is an understatement.

Our medical community and council have made it clear that this is way more serious than a lot of people are taking it. I am glad we have the leaders - not just political leaders but all community leaders - that we do in Rupert.

This is a big province and there are multiple areas that are unique. Rupert and region is not the same as Vancouver and Victoria and while a co-ordinated provincial plan is necessary sometimes local communities are better able to deal with unique challenges.

I am sure that council and our local doctors will continue to advise us on those unique challenges and hopefully people are smart enough to comply even if it goes beyond provincial guidelines.

3 Likes

Another tracker. This one has more of a Canadian focus.

1 Like