Conservatives

Why do I get the feeling you vote conservative when you cast your ballot? You don’t seem to want to pay taxes for ANYTHING.

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]
Why do I get the feeling you vote conservative when you cast your ballot? You don’t seem to want to pay taxes for ANYTHING.[/quote]

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

[quote=“crazy Horse”]

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]
Why do I get the feeling you vote conservative when you cast your ballot? You don’t seem to want to pay taxes for ANYTHING.[/quote]

You say that like it’s a bad thing.[/quote]

I have no problem paying taxes. So to me, attitudes like that are considered a bad thing.

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]

[quote=“crazy Horse”]

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

I have no problem paying taxes. So to me, attitudes like that are considered a bad thing.[/quote]

Oh I meant the conservative thing.

Why wouldn’t it be a bad thing. Has the conservative government done anything in favor of us?

Hope you don’t mind me jumping in on your conversation.

The Conservatives have been great for us and don’t let your feelings on an oil pipeline cloud your judgement. They’ve been terrific and key in the fortunes of Ridley Terminals. How many Prime Ministers have been here during an election campaign and followed up on a promise once elected? Name any federal government that has paid as much attention to the west. Millions to our Port and development of a gateway initiative. No federal government in recent memory…
Chretien, Trudeau, Clark, etc has given us as much to be excited about. Whether we agree with all of their policies or not they have done a lot for us.

Does the good for this part of the country, outweigh the bad policies and the american style politics going on?

You asked, “Has the Conservative government done anything in favour of us?” The answer is yes.

Bad policies, American style politics… Meh. What government doesn’t have policies that some people disagree with? Politics is politics. American or not.

Not a fan of the Harper government, but at least they are much more competent and level-headed than who ever runs the United States of America.

Also, Harper today is much different than when he was the scary leader of the Canadian Alliance.

[quote=“PLA”]

Also, Harper today is much different than when he was the scary leader of the Canadian Alliance.[/quote]

I would agree with that. I am not a huge Harper fan, but he has been able to keep some of the radicals at bay (he has to and he knows it).

I don’t think it is a bad thing. It is a point of view that I don’t agree with, but I support the right of people to vote for the candidate of their choice. Democracy is a wonderful thing.

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

The Conservatives have been great for us … They’ve been terrific and key in the fortunes of Ridley Terminals. How many Prime Ministers have been here during an election campaign and followed up on a promise once elected? Name any federal government that has paid as much attention to the west. Millions to our Port and development of a gateway initiative. No federal government in recent memory…
… has given us as much to be excited about. Whether we agree with all of their policies or not they have done a lot for us.[/quote]

Yes, Conservative prime minister Pierre Trudeau did a great thing for us when his government built Ridley Terminals in 1982 (and the infrastructure on which PR Grain sits). Even that left wing rag the National Post admits that the cost today would be over half a billion dollars.

Conservative prime minister Paul Martin also did a lot for us when in April 2005 his government committed $30 million towards construction of Phase I of the Port, which helped bring the deal together. Unfortunately he was no longer in office when it was completed and Liberal prime minister Stephen Harper took the credit for it.

I stand by what I said that the current Conservative govt has been great for us. Sure other governments have supported some things but Ive always felt that western alienation was a real thing. We finally have a PM that has western roots and it shows.

"Yes, prime minister Pierre Trudeau did a great thing for us when his government built Ridley Terminals in 1982 (and the infrastructure on which PR Grain sits). Even that left wing rag the National Post admits that the cost today would be over half a billion dollars. "

Didn’t the federal Libs try to sell Ridley Terminals for something like $5 million, just before election time? or am I thinking of something else? I think PRG funding was backed by the government of Alberta, not the Feds, but I could be wrong there as well, unless you’re referring to the building of the road out to there to Ridley?

Yes, the PRG facility was built by a consortium of government of Alberta and producers, but the site that it is on was developed as part of the larger development funded by the Trudeau government. From what I understand PRG still pays rent.

Both Liberal and Conservative governments have considered selling Ridley. I think that Ridley has been a great contribution to the economy of the North Coast, notwithstanding the ups and downs, but I realise that some still regard the investment as evidence of Liberal contempt for the West, for reasons that are hard to follow.

Shows in what? What money has the Harper government spent up here, related to the Port or otherwise, that wasn’t committed by the Martin government? It’s an honest question, not rhetorical. I believe there was some money for equipment at the airport, but not tens or hundreds of millions of dollars.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

Shows in what? What money has the Harper government spent up here, related to the Port or otherwise, that wasn’t committed by the Martin government? It’s an honest question, not rhetorical. I believe there was some money for equipment at the airport, but not tens or hundreds of millions of dollars.[/quote]

I am not defending the Harper Conservatives here…but they did throw in $15 million (or was it $30 million?) towards the Road, Rail & Utility Corridor project that just broke ground.

They also saved Ridley Terminals (and 150 Rupert jobs) from a near certain death.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

Shows in what? What money has the Harper government spent up here, related to the Port or otherwise, that wasn’t committed by the Martin government? It’s an honest question, not rhetorical. I believe there was some money for equipment at the airport, but not tens or hundreds of millions of dollars.[/quote]

cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c … -sale.html

orwelltoday.com/chinacanadagateway.shtml

Maybe Martin originally promised funding for the Pacific Gateway but the Conservatives have followed it up. They’ve built our coal terminal into something strong and that helps to strengthen our economy. Our future here is trade and while I’m not going to debate what we are or should be exporting, it’s clear that our region has become a priority. I can’t recall in my memory when a federal government has placed as much emphasis in our region. Let me ask you a question. You seem to disagree with my position. What are your thoughts? Why aren’t the Conservatives as good as I think they are?

[quote=“bthedog”]

I am not defending the Harper Conservatives here…but they did throw in $15 million (or was it $30 million?) towards the Road, Rail & Utility Corridor project that just broke ground.

They also saved Ridley Terminals (and 150 Rupert jobs) from a near certain death.[/quote]

You may be right. Of the $90 million cost for that project I wonder what the provincial government that does not do anything for us put into it?

Edit: You are right, the feds put in $15 million, the provincial government that we hate but which will soon be gone put in $15 million, and the Port and CN put in $30 million each. That’s the first major investment in the region by the Harper Conservatives since they came into power 7 years ago.

Ridley terminals was saved by the Chinese economy, when it was put up for sell by the federal liberals it was loosing lots of money for the sales were not there, then when the chinese started buying lots of our coal the sale was cancelled by Harper, but now it is up for sale again by Harper

and the latest budget cuts about $160 million over 5 years from the DFO but yet gives $250 million over 5 years for what? better weather forcasting, hmmmmm yes that helps us in the North