Conservatives

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

Maybe Martin originally promised funding for the Pacific Gateway but the Conservatives have followed it up. They’ve built our coal terminal into something strong and that helps to strengthen our economy. Our future here is trade and while I’m not going to debate what we are or should be exporting, it’s clear that our region has become a priority. I can’t recall in my memory when a federal government has placed as much emphasis in our region. Let me ask you a question. You seem to disagree with my position. What are your thoughts? Why aren’t the Conservatives as good as I think they are?[/quote]

The Martin government did not just make a “promise”, they made a $30 million commitment, as in a financial obligation, to Phase I. That helped lever other commitments, both public and private, that made Phase I possible. The financing was in place when Harper came into office. I wonder if he’ll make a commitment to Phase II before he leaves office?

So far all that we seem to have come up with in the way of financial commitments by the Harper government around here, after 7 years in office, is the $15 million for the Ridley corridor, which is good, but not quite so brilliant a record as what you seem to be suggesting.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

[quote=“Crazy Train”]

Maybe Martin originally promised funding for the Pacific Gateway but the Conservatives have followed it up. They’ve built our coal terminal into something strong and that helps to strengthen our economy. Our future here is trade and while I’m not going to debate what we are or should be exporting, it’s clear that our region has become a priority. I can’t recall in my memory when a federal government has placed as much emphasis in our region. Let me ask you a question. You seem to disagree with my position. What are your thoughts? Why aren’t the Conservatives as good as I think they are?[/quote]

The Martin government did not just make a “promise”, they made a $30 million commitment, as in a financial obligation, to Phase I. That helped lever other commitments, both public and private, that made Phase I possible. The financing was in place when Harper came into office. I wonder if he’ll make a commitment to Phase II before he leaves office?

So far all that we seem to have come up with in the way of financial commitments by the Harper government around here, after 7 years in office, is the $15 million for the Ridley corridor, which is good, but not quite so brilliant a record as what you seem to be suggesting.[/quote]

I never said they were brilliant, just the best that we’ve seen for our region. Saved RTI, have committed millions to our Port and surrounding infrastructure. Our PM visited our riding and made a a promise to not sell RTI. One of the first orders of business once he got elected was to squash that deal. Our beloved MP can’t say that he’s followed through on his promises. In fact, he’s done the opposite of what he has said during election campaigns.

[quote=“Crazy Train”]
… just the best that we’ve seen for our region. Saved RTI, have committed millions to our Port and surrounding infrastructure. Our PM visited our riding and made a a promise to not sell RTI… [/quote]

Okay, he made a “promise” not to sell RTI, but according to your own source he has now reversed himself:

cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c … -sale.html

Can you say how many millions Harper has committed to the Port and surrounding infrastructure? We know about the $15 million for the Ridley corridor project - which is good - but does the rest add up to the $30 million that the Martin government committed to Phase 1. If it doesn’t add up to more than that then Harper is not really “the best we’ve seen”. Again, these are honest questions.

He has reversed his position on RTI because the terminal has clearly shown that it has its act together, knows where it is going and clearly knows how to compete in the coal industry without the piggybacking of the federal government.

This type of business should not be in the hands of the federal government to begin with…this should be operating on its own, just like Prince Rupert Grain.

The federal government made the right move back when they first came in NOT to sell RTI at that time…it would have sealed the terminals fate…and everything that is happening now with RTI (more jobs, expansion ect) would not be happening and it would have been a HUGE blow to the Rupert economy so soon after the mill packed it in.

Maybe the Conservatives have not given hundreds of millions of dollars to this riding, but they certainly have shown that they at least CARE about this riding in some capacity…and considering we have consistently sent a NDP MP to parliament in Ottawa, we should be lucky we have gotten anything from the Conservatives.

so your saying if it was sold then the new owners wouldn’t have made the upgrades once the Chinese started buying all of our coal? was it being sold at a fire sale yes it was because the Japenese were not buying much of our coal anymore so RTI was losing money hence the reason to sell it, anyone that bought it would have benefited from the economy exploding in China

Are you saying that the Conservatives had to foresight to see the Chinese demand was going to strengthen or that the Liberals did not. Or both?

[quote=“bthedog”]

Maybe the Conservatives have not given hundreds of millions of dollars to this riding, but they certainly have shown that they at least CARE about this riding in some capacity…and considering we have consistently sent a NDP MP to parliament in Ottawa, we should be lucky we have gotten anything from the Conservatives.[/quote]

I think your math is correct. It was federal Liberal governments that put hundreds of millions into this riding, to build Ridley in the first place and $30 million towards Phase I. I just don’t go along with revisionist history where the Harper Conservatives get credit for all that is good and wonderful. That being said, I think that it is good that the current government has committed $15 million of the cost of the Ridley corridor project.

I also question what MP Nathan Cullen has done for this riding. Sure he is a nice guy, but what is his vision for future port development and LNG in particular?

[quote=“BTravenn”]

[quote=“bthedog”]

Maybe the Conservatives have not given hundreds of millions of dollars to this riding, but they certainly have shown that they at least CARE about this riding in some capacity…and considering we have consistently sent a NDP MP to parliament in Ottawa, we should be lucky we have gotten anything from the Conservatives.[/quote]

I think your math is correct. It was federal Liberal governments that put hundreds of millions into this riding, to build Ridley in the first place and towards Phase I. I just don’t go along with revisionist history where the Harper Conservatives get credit for all that is good and wonderful. That being said, I think that it is good that the current government has committed 25% of the cost of the Ridley corridor project.

I also question what MP Nathan Cullen has done for this riding. Sure he is a nice guy, but what is his vision for future port development and LNG in particular?[/quote]

I am not saying the Conservatives should get all the credit…and I don’t need to be sold on the all the good the federal Liberals have done here…I am not a Conservative party supporter (for the most part). I have voted Liberal federally all my life and will again (unless they merge with the NDP…then I will switch to Conservative)

I am also not denying the federal support the Liberals have shown this riding…what I am doing is saying that the Conservatives HAVE done something in this riding directly. It was implied they have done jack shit, which is just not true.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

I also question what MP Nathan Cullen has done for this riding. Sure he is a nice guy, but what is his vision for future port development and LNG in particular?[/quote]

I 100% agree. Other than then being a consistent pain in the ass…I would say nothing.

He is trying to put the brakes on LNG development and has said straight up that the two LNG terminals will not be built in Prince Rupert. Thanks for the support Cullen! Putting on the brakes is EXACTLY what will compromise the potential for these terminals to be built. We are literally in a race with the US and Australia (and to an extent with Kitimat) to get these terminals running…slowing down the process will kill these projects.

He is anti-anything the Conservatives seem to be pushing…whether it benefits his riding (one that has been economically STARVED for nearly his entire time as MP) or not.

I am not saying either. The Liberals did have the foresight, but the Conservatives followed through with what was originally put in place by the Liberals.

That was directed at Jabber.

luck of the draw is all it was they were lucky when the chinese economy started to boom, liberals didn’t see it coming and harper trying to win this area decided not to sell it as an election promise, and they got lucky. nothing more or less, no forthsight at all.

and don’t forget Mr Veniez was quoted as saying he was brought in to fix up RTI to sell it, which Harper and company denied but guess what they are selling it.