Compass, Northwest Weekly and?

ur both teh sux

[quote=“CrazyMike”]Interesting little blurb in the the Daily News tonight about the NorthWest Weekly donating just over $1100 to Belsy’s campaign.

Don’t newspapers usually try and at least appear impartial or am I being naieve?

Mike[/quote]

I think “free press” is a myth. Somewhere, someone has an agenda and they’ll push it regardless.

Here is your quote. What I tried to express was, NO they don’t at least try to be impartial. They have an agenda or a bias which dictates how they write. AND they donate to politcal parties because they are a business and certain parties in power are better for business then others.

Does this have anything to do with your post? I think it might Crazy Mike.

Way to take my quote out of context CC. Not once, but twice. You must be a newspaper reporter. :wink:

This may be true which is what I was inquiring about. The NWW is the first paper which I have seen listed as a direct donor to political parties. We all know they slant towards one or the other but I’ve not seen one listed on a donor list.

Have you seen this, or are you just generalizing?

Mike

Okay, perhaps if you’re going to talk about politics, it would be helpful to understand the terminology you’re using. Left wing means Liberal, right wing means conservative. Perhaps you’re confused because the BC Liberal party is in fact conservative in ideology. Nevertheless, the National Post tends to favour conservative viewpoints, not liberal. As opposed to the Globe and Mail, which is, by the way, still the biggest-selling national newspaper in Canada. Not to mention much better written.

And we haven’t even begun to talk about small-c conservatives vs big-C conservatives and their liberal counterparts…

[quote=“Stardog Champion”]

Okay, perhaps if you’re going to talk about politics, it would be helpful to understand the terminology you’re using. Left wing means Liberal, right wing means conservative. Perhaps you’re confused because the BC Liberal party is in fact conservative in ideology. Nevertheless, the National Post tends to favour conservative viewpoints, not liberal. As opposed to the Globe and Mail, which is, by the way, still the biggest-selling national newspaper in Canada. Not to mention much better written.

And we haven’t even begun to talk about small-c conservatives vs big-C conservatives and their liberal counterparts…[/quote]

The current rule-of-thumb is that anything that doesn’t toady up to the US Government is ‘liberal media’. That’s how the confusion starts, because Brian Mulroney was a goddam pinko to today’s neo-cons…
NEWSPAPER TIPS: two really successful forms are the morning memo-sheet style and the weekly local buy&sell knockoff. Both can be run-off with a Gestetner or Risograph on normal, legal, or ledger paper dirt cheap, style isn’t that important, and all you need is a few quips or local flavour stories to pad between the ad content.
Real journalism and investigative reporting is for the daily rag, and if you try it, they’ll make theirs better.

Apples and oranges. The Canadian political spectrum has always been much more to the left compared to the US. The vast majority of people in Canada would identify themselves as small-l liberal (fiscally moderate but socially liberal), and even most of those who call themselves conservatives are more or less socially libaral.

Most of the socially conservative platforms in the US (anit-abortion, anti-gay, school prayer) would never fly in Canada. We tend to be much more pluralistic and tolerant than our friends across the border. Which is one major reason I wouldn’t want to live there

Of course, that won’t stop people like Rush Limbaugh and Bill O’Reilly from trying to paint Canadian media–even the organizations that we would consider quite conservative–as “left wing.” But since I’m not exactly a fan of either of them, I really couldn’t possibly care less what they say anyhow.

well he doesn’t care about you either so
SHUT UP YOU LEFT WING MORON, JUST SHUT UP! I’M TALKING SO WHAT WOULD YOU KNOW YOU COMMIE PINKO! SHUT UP!
:laughing: :laughing:
Notice how ad hominem is the norm in a neo-con debate. You can even yell at the press corps from the podium in the White House and they’ll shut up and stop asking questions…

[quote=“herbie_popnecker”]well he doesn’t care about you either so
SHUT UP YOU LEFT WING MORON, JUST SHUT UP! I’M TALKING SO WHAT WOULD YOU KNOW YOU COMMIE PINKO! SHUT UP!
:laughing: :laughing:
Notice how ad hominem is the norm in a neo-con debate. You can even yell at the press corps from the podium in the White House and they’ll shut up and stop asking questions…[/quote]

Yeah, I have to admit that is pretty sad.

Oh and for the record, I’ve been accused of being many things in my life, but being a left-wing pinko is not one of them :smiling_imp:

Know what’s a good local read? Northword. Good Design, Photography, and from what I’ve read, the writing is top notch, too. It’s free, too, so you can pick it up, read the articles you’re interested in, and pass it on to someone else, put it on a shelf, or, hell, line your birdcage with it if you really want but I assume you’ve got enough NWW to last longer than your bird(s).

Only downside on Northword is it’s quarterly, and unless you live in Smithers a number of the articles will have little relevance to you.

:smiley: Newspapers only line the bird cage when they show up uninvited in my mailbox. And my bird lives on average 20 years, so I’m sure I’ll need a new source eventually.

The odd thing is that newspapers are usually owned by right wingers or conservatives, and most of the workers bees are left/middle of the road types. From my thirty plus years working for newspapers all over BC I can attest that while editorialists may have a slant, most editors I have worked with pride themselves on trying to be unbiased. One of my reporter friends wasn’t happy unless he was being dissed by both sides of a controversial story.

“Freedom of the press is limited to those who own one.”
– Kurt Cobain

You know what I haven’t had in a while? Big League Chew.

Were you just reading the KISL site by any chance??

Nah, I had just seen some kid buy a bag of BLC at Maverick, and I immediately thought of the Family Guy reference.

[quote=“Eso”]

Funny you should mention that stuff. I just happened to see an old commercial for it at retrojunk.com/details_commercial/43/[/quote]

Then fill your boots with the September isssue.

northwestcompass.com

I am thinking of setting up a journalism school in Prince Rupert. It makes sense because there are so many experts to choose from when setting up faculty appointments.

peace
Muskwa

Perhaps you should open an asshole school.

You could lecture on why some rupert businesses fail miserably, and why some succeed.

Here’s a hint: abusing and insulting your customers makes people not like you. That means they’re less likely to patronize your business.

As has already been pointed out, if you do a web search on google for “northwest compass”, you’ll get the entire history of how ignorant and stupid you guys are.