Compass, Northwest Weekly and?

[quote=“SteveDVS”]It looks like the same poo to me.

• I read only a tiny bit of it and already found a spelling mistake.
  • Horrible website
  • Bad Ad Design

Hopefully it looks better in print. So far, it does look better than the gross NWW but it still doesn’t look as professional as the Terrace Standard or so many other publications out there.[/quote]

Just what makes an 18 year old moron from Terrace, still living with his parents, an expert on design, photography, newspaper or anything else besides pimples?

Ah, standard ad hominem attack. Since he’s basically right about what he’s said, and you can’t really prove him wrong, you attack him instead?

Pretty sad that that 18 year old is more mature than you.

Not only is what he stated absolutely true (the website is very 1995!), but your reaction just proves he hit a nerve. So really, instead of attacking the person, try taking on the ideas instead.

I’ll list and number them for you to make it easier:

1. The website design sucks.

2. The ad designs suck.

3. There is a spelling mistake.

4. Hopefully it looks better in print (I think it does, so this is a freebie).

5. The Terrace Standard looks better.

Now, take each one of those and prove him wrong. Otherwise, you’re just been outdone by an 18-year old who lives with his parents.

What’s worse is that you abuse and attack your potential audience.

What would your advertisers think about your attitude? Is it the editorial policy of your publication to be anti-youth, anti-terrace, and anti-pimples?

You come here and post a link to your site, and then when we comment on it, that’s your reaction?

You’d think somebody involved in “the media” would understand that the internet isn’t like print. Take a look at the google results when you search for “northwest compass” :

google.com/search?q=northwest+compass

And now, whenever somebody does a search for your website, they’ll get your childish post instead. Nice!

[quote=“MiG”]

Ah, standard ad hominem attack. Since he’s basically right about what he’s said, and you can’t really prove him wrong, you attack him instead?[/quote]

Reminds me of a paraphrase of a confucian proverb: He who attacks his opponent personally has just admitted that he has run out of ideas.

And since there were no real ideas presented in the first place, what does that say about this person?

A 30 year old is far more of an expert with pimples than an 18 year old!!!

Holy crap, that was hilarious.

You TRULY made my day with that one. And MiG, I was expecting to to jump in as well because you have a keen eye for design and I’m sure you noticed the unintentional “retro” look of the website.

But Muskwa, you sure got me, I’m no expert on design/photography/newspaper, but I AM an expert on pimples!

I guess the $5,000 I made last year in my spare time designing promotional posters, DVD covers, websites, and magazine advertisements (national magazines, not newspapers with 10 readers) for clients around North America must mean I’m a horrible graphic designer.

And the fact that my photographic presentation has me with a photography scholarship and that I plan to become a professional photographer means I know nothing about photography either.

Not to mention that I edited/published/designed my school’s newspaper and a magazine geared towards raising money for the victims of Tsunami relief that had me recognized first at the year end awards ceremony and in the Terrace Standard means I totally know nothing about newspapers, either.

But sigh, at least I know how to master the pimples I have all over my face.

Ahh testosterone. Put away the e-penis’ boys. It’s all good. :smiley:

Mike

Muskwa, here’s a few tips from a no-nothing like me that can help you make the publication look less… gross:

Page 1 - Purple, Yellow, Grey, and a seafoamy blue? Were you drunk? Also, the little filter you applied there is cheesy and the text you put on the bottom with “Premier Issue” is lame.

Page 2 - What is up with the bright red on bright light blue? Gross! Then you have the black box with yellow text on the upper left of the photo, gross too. Next, you’ve got the numbers on the right side of the image, BLUE AND YELLOW totally clash with everything else on the document. Again, drunk? Aside from that, it’s not totally bad, you just need a desperate refreshment on colour theory because those colours reminded me of the last time I vomited.

The rest of the pages are decent where there’s text, but the ads are amateur.

Also, that kind of attacking is bad for your rep, just to let you know.

Figure I’d add - Why wouldn’t I be living with my parents? I just graduated from HS and will be taking my first year or two of college here in Terrace.

Also,

http://cab9.net/bans/self_portrait.jpg
I just grabbed that small photo from my website (cab9.net), but that gives you an idea on the mass of pimples I have so your comment really hurt my feelings! :frowning:

Smartass wrote:

A weekly rag can simply not compete with a daily newspaper - it doesn’t happen anywhere. By the time it gets out any story they do will have been covered by: (1) The Daily News (2) the CBC (3) The Mix/CHTK (4) CFNR (and usually in that order…)

This idea that they’re coming back because people want regional news is also bunk as all those media outlets provide regional coverage and beyond ( The Daily News for instance has begun including lots of news from Terrace, PG, Fort St. John, etc. over the last six months or so).

There are also real professional journalists at the paper who privide content to the Vancouver Sun, Globe and Mail, etc. on a regular basis - and then you have people writing for the NWW - and they’re going to compete? HAH!

Yeah, right on Stevie…

SteveDVS wrote:

:laughing:

[quote=“SteveDVS”]Muskwa, here’s a few tips from a no-nothing like me that can help you make the publication look less… gross:

Page 1 - Purple, Yellow, Grey, and a seafoamy blue? Were you drunk? Also, the little filter you applied there is cheesy and the text you put on the bottom with “Premier Issue” is lame.

Page 2 - What is up with the bright red on bright light blue? Gross! Then you have the black box with yellow text on the upper left of the photo, gross too. Next, you’ve got the numbers on the right side of the image, BLUE AND YELLOW totally clash with everything else on the document. Again, drunk? Aside from that, it’s not totally bad, you just need a desperate refreshment on colour theory because those colours reminded me of the last time I vomited.

The rest of the pages are decent where there’s text, but the ads are amateur.

Also, that kind of attacking is bad for your rep, just to let you know.[/quote]

Where are the tips? You tell him what is wrong but you don’t suggest alternatives or provide examples. Am I to assume that the newspaper (or website?) design sucks because you say so?

Here’s a tip, look up Northwest Compass on google:

google.ca/search?q=northwest+compass

K, then I gave critiques.

I don’t think I’m the only one who noticed the amateurish features of the site/paper.

I read a copy of it in Smithers when I stopped for Sushi. It was full of things I didn’t really care about, but I did read it. It wasn’t that bad in terms of layout and colour (I read it this past Thursday so maybe a different issue?)

It’s format is like those “living” magazine/papers they put out in Vancouver.

I hated the Northwest weekly. I resented the fact it violated my mailbox without my consent. I used it as liner for my bird cage. This new one is at least trying to be something different.

Interesting little blurb in the the Daily News tonight about the NorthWest Weekly donating just over $1100 to Belsy’s campaign.

Don’t newspapers usually try and at least appear impartial or am I being naieve?

Mike

[quote]Don’t newspapers usually try and at least appear impartial or am I being naieve?
[/quote]

This is one of the dumbest quotes ever posted on Hackingthemainframe

So you’re telling me that ALL newspapers openly donate to political campaigns, or are you just going to sit back and hide behind name calling instead of providing your own opinion? Or even better… some actual facts?

Mike

Newspapers have long lost the luster of publishing un biased right to the truth publications. Global Media, (or whatever there exact name) is just a liberal medium, one of the most right winged media outlets out there. And they own most major newspapers including the National Post, Vancouver Sun, the Province and others. Back East you have your conservative themed newspapes. Thetyee.ca is a great online newspaper but it is written totally from the left spectrum.

This is all fine, but every article you read, especially about politics you have to ask yourself from what side of the political spectrum is this piece based on. Otherwise you’re going to end up brain washed.

Example, the fast cat ferries have been ripped and are the stone feet of the NDP party. Yet, they were built in BC where BC people were paid to build them and learnt the new technology. We never heard nothing about how the ferries now are being made overseas where jobs are going to foreign labourers. Why? The media in BC is ABSOLUTELY dominated by the liberal spectrum. Which makes sense because newspapers are business and are about selling advertising more so than puting facts down.

So to answer your first question Crazy Mike yes you are naive.

And Finally, I didn’t call you any names, I just said the quote was dumb, actually dumbest is the word I used. But I wouldn’t want to make a liar out of you, so I gave no actual facts and you’re a poo poo head.

And NONE of that has to do with my post which was about newspapers donating directly to political campaigns. Now I agree maybe I didn’t word my post as clearly as I could have, but I’m guessing you didn’t read it clearly either.

Mike