Community Characters

Greetings HTMF’ers,

My name is Aaron Mallett and I have returned to Prince Rupert after spending around 10 years away in both Vancouver and Japan. I was born and raised here and had a great childhood filled with great friends and great memories. Unfortunately now that I am back I am noticing the town is severely in decay and personally I feel a huge disconnect since my family is my only connection here.

With all that in mind I’m hoping to discover some hidden gems in PR by interviewing people we consider community “characters” that have a positive outlook on life in the northwest and wish to share their unique lives and stories. It won’t be anything formal but I would like to record the interviewees on my HD camera using both video and images, and then edit up semi-professional blog posts.

What do you guys think? Would you like to volunteer yourself or someone you know?

In the same vein of reconnecting with the city, I’m also interested in meeting new friends who are like minded. I’m 29, half Japanese by blood, and my background has been mainly in IT. I’m interested in a wide variety of things ranging from environmental issues and rock climbing to travel and technology.

Thanks for reading!

are You on YouTube or Facebook, how about a webpage? and welcome to HTMF…

Thanks for the welcome, Astro. Yes I’m on Facebook and Youtube (flickr.com/photos/farang_noi).

Thanks for the welcome, Astro. Yes I’m on Facebook and Youtube (flickr.com/photos/farang_noi).

sent you a PM that may be of interest to you.
Yours is an intriguing post.

Welcome back to Prince Rupert. If I was to look for characters, as you say, I would look many places. Any of these choices would be time consuming in a good kind of way. The first is to enjoy a cup of coffee in our many and varied restaurant establishments all over town. This happens in the morning of course. Or anytime of the day at Tim’s. There are “regulars” everywhere. They, we, are warming chairs throughout Rupert solving the community’s, the province’s and the nation’s current difficulties. This is one group. We are all characters, multi-faceted complex individuals.
The next wonderful collection of folk would be volunteers. Our City West phone book has a large list of volunteer organizations. Have a look. This is a committed bunch of people in town who want to see things happen. Looks like it is softball league down at the Civic Centre centre right now. Even if you aren’t on a team I bet its entertaining from the bleachers. Other groups to visit with would be the volunteers who do city clean up or the cemetary clean-ups. Attend a City Council meeting.
Take a ride on the Dodge Cove ferry. Meet some of the dog walkers at Kwinitsa in the morning. Go swimming at the pool. These are just some of the suggestions I have. By the way Id read the posters that are put up around town and as well read the free newspapers. Youll find many a character this way.

It is really hard for young people to live here these days. I wish it was still thriving like in the 70’s and 80’s- everyone seems to think the weather was even nicer back then. In my experience people seem to not want to accept the fact they live here- and will for a while. So many people talk about what they’ll do when they leave/ retire, because they can’t see themselves living here forever. I try and surround myself with people who love this place- though it is difficult- we’re overflowing of “transients- or wanna-be transients”

I would also recommend the pool as a fun place to meet people. There are always old guys that seem so eager to talk. Also the coast guard auxiliary can take you literally all over the place, for free, and you’re almost sure to get an adventure in every time- with great people. Something to look into. I dream of lots of people moving back to Rupert soon- apparently it’s really going to go this time! Here’s to a population of 40,000 soon!! Good luck-

[quote=“farang_noi”]Greetings HTMF’ers,

… I’m hoping to discover some hidden gems in PR by interviewing people we consider community “characters” that have a positive outlook on life in the northwest and wish to share their unique lives and stories. /quote]

I amm a formmer hidden gem of PR, currently residing in Amsterdam NL. I highly recommend local author - Ronnie Ray Jenkins; he’ll be well worth your interview timme. You can contact him thru his website: ronnierayjenkins.com
Natsu & Jason of Hasami Hair Studio Ltd, 301 3rd Ave W, mmay be interested in a chat!
I can well immagine your initial shock upon arriving back into PR. I hold high hopes for PR and would love to return ‘home’ to fammily & friends ASAP.
Good luck, Aaron!!!
isabelydancer00[/quote]

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Coincidentally I have started swimming in the morning but have yet to get into any meaningful conversations just yet. I frequent Javadotcup quite often these days so feel free to come and interrupt my Japanese studies if you all are so inclined :smile:

I apologize for the double post above but I’m not sure how to go about deleting one of them. Is there a way?

Cheers,

Aaron

Two names that come to mind that would probably make for interesting interviews are Ken Jon Booth and Larry Golden. These are two very unique individuals that would make for good interviews. Another is Herb Pond.

You could also drop by and chat with Jim West at Jim West Signs behind Overwaitea. If he’s not busy I’m sure he’d be a colourful addition for your project.

Why hasn’t anybody suggested Ajaye? :smile:

Can’t recommend Bob Rudderham highly enough! Truly a walking treasure trove of Rupert’s history.
Dave Walker is another good generalist.

Characters: Pete Lester; Ed Wampler; Gus Stromdahl; Dr. Large; Ray McLean; Duff Pattulo; William Booth; Jack Anderson;

As for other recommendations, what areas interest you? Music? Cannery life? Port Essington? Railroad? Marine highway? The war years? Marine? Churches? Origins of Road/mountain/lake names?

What perspective? Japanese? Chinese? First Nations? Italian? Portugese? Asian? Norwegian? Man, we have 'em all here in this area.

Pick a topic and post it here.

PS. More ‘living characters’ with lots of specialized and general history in specific areas of Rupert history: John McNish; Bruce Forward; Tobbi Gjelsvik; Robert Strand; Peter Witherly; Ted Keehn; Chief Murray Smith; Chief Clarence Nelson; Paddy Greene; …etc, etc.

Charlotte Rowse would be my pick, she is an inspirational community booster and lifelong resident.

Hi All. I just wanted to reiterate my thanks for all of the great suggestions on here. I was a bit apprehensive to approach these people out of the blue without any examples to show them so I went ahead and did my first interview with someone I had easier access to.

Gary Wick is a lifelong Prince Rupertite who is most well known for Gary’s Lock Shop and more importantly, as Santa Claus to many children and adults alike.

Please take a gander at the video and let me know what you think. I am by no means a professional but I feel like I’ve captured the essence of the interviewee.

youtu.be/B_qO7aT-_w8

Nice job with your interview with ol’ Santa Gary. Keep them coming.

[quote=“farang_noi”]Hi all … Gary Wick is a lifelong Prince Rupertite who is most well known for Gary’s Lock Shop and more importantly, as Santa Claus to many children and adults alike.
Please take a gander at the video and let me know what you think. I am by no means a professional but I feel like I’ve captured the essence of the interviewee.

youtu.be/B_qO7aT-_w8[/quote]

This is great, Aaron!!! I’mm living in Europe right now, so I’mm happy to see stories, news, vids of things and people back in mmy hommetown. I look forward to seeing mmore of your interviews!
isabelydancer00

Here is the second interview in my series. This time it is with Rob Gruber of Good Times Games and Electronics. Enjoy!

PS. Thanks to fellow HTMFer Amy Moore for the suggestion.

youtu.be/8T8nq4wJmBg

Herb Pond? :smile: