Citywest problems (November 2011)

Anyone else having trouble with digital cable tonight?

Yep citywest doing what they do best … My cables out and the net is slower than usual, no better than 1mbps at best !

My connection seems fine now, but, it is early in the morning. It is slower than usual in the evening.

Yes, because all of the other telecom companies NEVER have outages, never make mistakes, and are perfect in every way… LOL
Citywest complainers make me laugh, really they do.

[quote=“bubbasteve735”]

Yes, because all of the other telecom companies NEVER have outages, never make mistakes, and are perfect in every way… LOL
Citywest complainers make me laugh, really they do.[/quote]

So you’re accepting of a poor standard of service? Just because it’s CityWest and subsidized by taxpayers doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t have to provide good service, though it does seem they have lots of wriggle room with that concept with most in town.

[quote=“Smurfette”]

Citywest complainers make me laugh, really they do.

So you’re accepting of a poor standard of service? Just because it’s CityWest and subsidized by taxpayers doesn’t mean that they shouldn’t have to provide good service, though it does seem they have lots of wriggle room with that concept with most in town.[/quote]

I did not have a problem with my cable last night. I have no idea how my internet compares to other people or other regions. If anoter company came in, how much faster would we be or would they just take over the current system?

And I have had cell phone problems with Rogers. Last week I went into the store where I purchased my phone and was given an 800 number. The problem was fixed by a tech on the other end, but it would have been fixed much quicker and with much less stress (I was trying to figure out where he was directing me) if I had a place to go in town.

I realize that by posting I will be dragged into the discussion as a citywest booster. I am not. It is not perfect. (I do have a Rogers phone after all), but like Bubbasteve, I sometimes wonder if citywest is just an easy whipping boy.

[quote=“DWhite”]

And I have had cell phone problems with Rogers. Last week I went into the store where I purchased my phone and was given an 800 number. The problem was fixed by a tech on the other end, but it would have been fixed much quicker and with much less stress (I was trying to figure out where he was directing me) if I had a place to go in town.[/quote]

I have had technical problems with my Rogers cell as well. The store that I bought the phone from here in town didn’t want to speak to me at all; they directed me to a 1-800 number. The technician at Rogers was very helpful and walked me through my issues. My phone is working fine now. The store here in town has permanently lost my business.

[quote=“hitest”]

[quote=“DWhite”]

And I have had cell phone problems with Rogers. Last week I went into the store where I purchased my phone and was given an 800 number. The problem was fixed by a tech on the other end, but it would have been fixed much quicker and with much less stress (I was trying to figure out where he was directing me) if I had a place to go in town.[/quote]

I have had technical problems with my Rogers cell as well. The store that I bought the phone from here in town didn’t want to speak to me at all; they directed me to a 1-800 number. The technician at Rogers was very helpful and walked me through my issues. My phone is working fine now. The store here in town has permanently lost my business.[/quote]

And that’s the point of the thread perhaps, you have the choice, you have made a choice and the local business that provided less than stellar customer service has lost your business.

When it comes to our internet provider, there is no real choice, thus we get what we get, apologists can continue to offer up their thoughts, but until the local internet provider gets its act together, I suspect that the customer concerns will continue to be provided.

Well, the plural of ‘anecdote’ isn’t ‘data,’ but for me CItywest customer service in Terrace has been first class. It was great in Rupert as well, but I’d go out on a limb and say that I’ve gotten even better customer service in Terrace. Perhaps it’s the competition here?

Apropos to the thread, my cable modem is offline today, and I just put in a call to Citywest.

The person followed the script, taking all my information. She told me to reboot my computer and wait for the “start” button as well. I played along, and I completely understand this person is only answering the phone and taking information. She’s not supposed to be diagnosing things.

She was friendly enough, and I detected an East Coast accent. She wouldn’t tell me where she was located, though, just that it was a call centre that handled Citywest’s overflow support requests. She referred to Citywest as “they” so I doubt she was actually employed by Citywest. A few other clues led me to this conclusion as well – didn’t recognize the area code, the town name, etc.

Meanwhile, she asked me when I would be available for a callback. I told her I was working from home today, but would be unavailable tomorrow. She asked about Monday. My response? I told her I doubted Citywest would take that long to fix this – it’s usually just a matter of minutes. If it takes until Monday, then I’ll be cancelling service.

Anyway, long post to basically say that even Citywest uses call centres, apparently. This is my first time actually calling. Usually I e-mail and get an immediate response.

So the point about being referred to a 1-800 number is also applicable to Citywest.

As predicted, Citywest fixed the problem in just a couple of minutes, and my cable modem is now working.

[quote=“Smurfette”]

Did the local store really provide “less than stellar customer service” and was their advice that tech support is available at a 1-800 number such a failing, so calamitous that a permanent loss of business is appropriate? I suspect that the local store was doing exactly what they are supposed to under their agency agreement with Rogers.

Past a very basic level, I don’t see Rogers authorizing local vendors of their phones to give tech support that their staff may or may not be qualified to give. That invites too much risk of unqualified advice being given through unmonitored conversations, and hence potential for problems for all parties concerned, Rogers, the customer and the store. It’s best to phone or email the Rogers tech people.

I have three Rogers phones and haven’t had problems with any of them. When setting up one of them I got some tech advice on the phone from Rogers. He were very helpful.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

[quote=“Smurfette”]

And that’s the point of the thread perhaps, you have the choice, you have made a choice and the local business that provided less than stellar customer service has lost your business.

Did the local store really provide “less than stellar customer service” and was their advice that tech support is available at a 1-800 number such a failing, so calamitous that a permanent loss of business is appropriate? I suspect that the local store was doing exactly what they are supposed to under their agency agreement with Rogers.

Past a very basic level, I don’t see Rogers authorizing local vendors of their phones to give tech support that their staff may or may not be qualified to give. That invites too much risk of unqualified advice being given through unmonitored conversations, and hence potential for problems for all parties concerned, Rogers, the customer and the store. It’s best to phone or email the Rogers tech people.

I have three Rogers phones and haven’t had problems with any of them. When setting up one of them I got some tech advice on the phone from Rogers. He were very helpful.[/quote]

Well my point was more along the lines of one being able to have personal choice if you weren’t happy with the service you received.

The CityWest question is more of a broader service question, i.e.: their pipeline of digital bits at times seems to get clogged, but being the only provider in town, they pretty well have the market and thus can provide the service level that they believe the public will accept.

However, your point is well taken, sometimes (especially in this era of high and ever changing technology) the local vendor perhaps is not best equipped to deal with the problem.

And I agree with your point. I use the internet a lot and am exploring a work around so that I no longer have to rely on Citywest; in other words, so that I have a choice.

Only issues I had last night were problems with the HD channels, everything else was fine.

My HD channesl havent worked reliably in about 3 months…i am on my second pvr digiatl rental box.

Music channels arent working…

I have taken 12 hrs in leave from work to be there when service people show up… they cancelled on me one of those times…

then come on a weekend or evening from now on in…or come and take all their shit outta my house…

[quote=“mcsash”]My HD channesl havent worked reliably in about 3 months…i am on my second pvr digiatl rental box.

Music channels arent working…

I have taken 12 hrs in leave from work to be there when service people show up… they cancelled on me one of those times…

then come on a weekend or evening from now on in…or come and take all their shit outta my house…[/quote]

Unless you live in one of the few satellite dead zones in town, you do have an option.

We’ve had a satellite dish for about ten years now, I can’t remember if we’ve every had a major outage issue that wasn’t power outage related i.e.: BC Hydro was out,

Anytime I’ve had a problem with a receiver (once so far) the folks at Shaw replaced the thing within three days, no fuss, no problems.

If as you describe is correct, I would think you might wish to consider an alternative service provider.

I agree if you don’t like City West cable then switch as there is always a option for Shaw. I Have had Shaw for a while now and get really good service and Channels from them.

[quote=“BTravenn”]

I have three Rogers phones and haven’t had problems with any of them. When setting up one of them I got some tech advice on the phone from Rogers. He were very helpful.[/quote]

I don’t know what problem hitest had at the store he went to. My service was not so horrible that I wouldn’t go back. I was not receiving calls. When I went to my Rogers provider, the first question was whether or not the person phoning me was using a citywest phone. Which is always the fall back excuse when a phone isn’t working. It has to be citywest’s fault. It happened to be another Rogers phone. In fact I could not receive any calls. The problem was with my (Rogers) phone.

I have no problems being told to use a 1-800 number and the tech guy on the phone was helpful and it didn’t take long to correct it. Had I walked into citywest however a tech person might have helped me immediately.

My only point is that citywest is a convenient whipping boy. Other companies will not be perfect either.

[quote=“DWhite”]

[quote=“BTravenn”]

… When I went to my Rogers provider, the first question was whether or not the person phoning me was using a citywest phone. Which is always the fall back excuse when a phone isn’t working. It has to be citywest’s fault. It happened to be another Rogers phone. In fact I could not receive any calls. The problem was with my (Rogers) phone.

My only point is that citywest is a convenient whipping boy. Other companies will not be perfect either.[/quote]

Well that’s interesting, by your own recollection you seem to have identified a theme that CityWest might want to address, that being that whenever there is a phone problem everyone seems to believe it sits at the door step of CityWest. Why per chance do you think that takes place? Could it be that maybe they don’t have the most reliable of service and that for the most part system problems as described actually do belong to their technology?

The fact that people ask that question so frequently perhaps gives you the answer.

[quote=“Smurfette”]

[quote=“DWhite”]

My only point is that citywest is a convenient whipping boy. Other companies will not be perfect either.[/quote]

Well that’s interesting, by your own recollection you seem to have identified a theme that CityWest might want to address, that being that whenever there is a phone problem everyone seems to believe it sits at the door step of CityWest. Why per chance do you think that takes place? Could it be that maybe they don’t have the most reliable of service and that for the most part system problems as described actually do belong to their technology?

The fact that people ask that question so frequently perhaps gives you the answer.[/quote]

My only point is that citywest is a convenient whipping boy. Other companies have problems.

But if it makes you feel better.

CITYWEST SUCKS! IT IS TOTALLY USELESS! IT SHOULD BE SOLD!

Wow. That does feel good.