CityWest has no phones

My cel phone stopped working and I went to City West to purchace a new one. City West has no cel phones in stock but I still have to pay my bill for a phone I cant use.Thank for the fantastic service City West

LOL, hell of a business plan that one is…

I got rid of my city west cell a long time ago… Speak out from 7-11 has some really good plans now.
I get 300 minutes per month local or long distance with unlimited texting for $30. If you go over the 300 you can simply pay another $30 to start over again. Account management on line is very simple as well. Stop paying City West !!

They asked around, and nobody wanted them.

Apropos: citywest.ca/latest_news/cellular_update

[quote]Here is an update regarding our move towards HSPA cellular service:

We are in active contract negotiations with a major national provider that, once concluded, would greatly enhance CityWest’s mobile services in the region.

The negotiations include the latest devices (iphones, ipads, android, and BB), and services.

The goal is to provide wider, more complete offering in our local area from Prince Rupert to Houston.

We will keep you posted as more news develops.[/quote]

Translation: “5 years ago we asked around, and nobody wanted it. I guess we were wrong.”

The change is a welcome one. Why now? New CEO? New direction? Contract with Northwestel expiring? Lost practically all the market to Rogers and 7-11?

Let’s hope they’re not anticipating another multi-million dollar writeoff with the change. I don’t think the City can afford its asset losing more value.

[quote=“MiG”]

Let’s hope they’re not anticipating another multi-million dollar writeoff with the change. I don’t think the City can afford its asset losing more value.[/quote]

They did a major write off after they decommissioned their old cell system. I doubt that there are any more hard assets left to write off.

Since then Citywest’s cell service has been a collection of contracts with Northwestel/Bell and Telus. What they’re talking about is a new contract to catch up, at least kind of, to where Rogers/Speakout, Telus and Bell have been for quite a while.

Begs the question, though. Since the majors are providing the actual services why deal with Citywest as a local middleman? Are there any advantages to the customers? Nothing comes to mind.

Hmm, perhaps this poses the first question of the upcoming city council and mayoralty debate.

As Mayor, or councillor would you vote Yes or No in selling CityWest to private interests?

Would be interesting to learn how our candidates feel about what a city should or should not be an investor in.

Over to you Northern View, feel free to take the ball and run with it.

Good post smurfee

The lack of service provided to current customers is horrific. I too went in with a “broken” phone… And I determined that it could cost me upwards of $200 to repair mine. Sooooo…I inquired about a new phone of equal or superior technology to my broken one. They didnt have one…nor were any on order…

I asked the CSR what were my options at this point…and was told and it is a quote…“you can walk across the street…” I thought what the fuck is happening here??? Did I just get told to stop being a a city west customer and go support rogers???

Thats a mess…

We need to sell city west to a company that is technologically advanced and can provide a reasonable service…

How many rogers employees are in town?..Telus?..

[quote=“mcsash”]Good post smurfee

The lack of service provided to current customers is horrific. I too went in with a “broken” phone… And I determined that it could cost me upwards of $200 to repair mine. Sooooo…I inquired about a new phone of equal or superior technology to my broken one. They didnt have one…nor were any on order…

I asked the CSR what were my options at this point…and was told and it is a quote…“you can walk across the street…” I thought what the fuck is happening here??? Did I just get told to stop being a a city west customer and go support rogers???

Thats a mess…

We need to sell city west to a company that is technologically advanced and can provide a reasonable service…

How many rogers employees are in town?..Telus?..[/quote]

Maybe the idea of taking your broken phone to be repaired at an office in town staffed with public employees who in your case were not able to help you is a Citywest concept.

I’ve had three Rogers phones and have never had to repair any of them. If one was broken and it cost $200 to repair I’d just upgrade to a new phone. With Citywest though there isn’t much to upgrade to other than more out of date technology.

So did you take their advice and walk across the street?

[quote]Here is an update regarding our move towards HSPA cellular service:

We are in active contract negotiations with a major national provider that, once concluded, would greatly enhance CityWest’s mobile services in the region.

The negotiations include the latest devices (iphones, ipads, android, and BB), and services.

The goal is to provide wider, more complete offering in our local area from Prince Rupert to Houston.

We will keep you posted as more news develops.[/quote]

They told me the exact same thing back in April!!!

They told me the exact same thing back in April!!![/quote]

Sounds like a textbook example of The Osborne Effect in action.

But right now, the only people who are still with Citywest mobility are those that are either locked into a contract, or really don’t mind the crap service. If you’re still with them after all that’s happened, then where is the incentive for them to do better, really? There is none. You’re still going to be a Citywest customer, right? No matter how shitty it is?

Well I guess the point of THIS thread is that you can’t even update to out of date technology since they don’t carry anything at all. That’s nuts!

[quote=“CrazyMike”]

Well I guess the point of THIS thread is that you can’t even update to out of date technology since they don’t carry anything at all. That’s nuts![/quote]

Well I stand corrected. The point was so incredible that it just hadn’t sunk in. How very soviet of the peoples telecom. Customers go to their store only to find bare shelves and are told to come back later, but no one knows when.

I have no idea why people even bother with Citywest for cell service when there are choices in the market, or why the civic leadership, of all political persuasions it seems, never questions why the city is still in the telecom business.

This is what I picture when I think about this citywest problem…

Very sorry for the situation we have put you in.
Please contact me and I will ensure you have a phone to use as either temporary or permanent replacement: chad.cunningham@cwct.ca

FYI – we are assessing a move to another mobile technology platform as reported on our website (link): citywest.ca/latest_news/cellular_update. However, we plan to continue to inventory phones in order to support customers on the current CDMA technology platform regardless of what future direction we take.

Citywest is ridiculous.

I went in there the other day because I heard about new BlackBerries that were being released and they said “Oh we might get them in the fall” all the while Rogers has all the new ones and has since August. All of Citywest’s cellphones are at least 2-3 years out of date.

By then CityWest will probably still be 5 - 10 years behind. lol

[quote=“FranzJoseph”]Citywest is ridiculous.

I went in there the other day because I heard about new BlackBerries that were being released and they said “Oh we might get them in the fall” all the while Rogers has all the new ones and has since August. All of Citywest’s cellphones are at least 2-3 years out of date.[/quote]

Going to a CityWest store is like walking into the only cellphone shop in North Korea.

North Korea is served by the same company that owns Wind Mobile. They have great service. Half a million subscribers, with full 3G HSPA service. I’m sure they’re all party members, though.

Some people would think that having North Korea-level of service from Citywest would be a huge improvement.

computerworld.com.au/article … f_million/

[quote=“MiG”]

North Korea is served by the same company that owns Wind Mobile. They have great service. Half a million subscribers, with full 3G HSPA service. I’m sure they’re all party members, though.

Some people would think that having North Korea-level of service from Citywest would be a huge improvement.

computerworld.com.au/article … f_million/[/quote]

Except it came with freedom of speech suppression and limited ability to make international calls, but if North Korea’s cell service is better than CityWest then that’s really sad. =.=

[quote=“MiG”]

computerworld.com.au/article … f_million/[/quote]

That doesn’t surprise me. I’ve been to poor third world countries where most people typically have cheap, entry level cell phones but they are all HSPA. If you gave them a Citywest phone they would wonder why it wouldn’t take a SIM card.