CityTel This Month

Telus gives 6gb down and 3gb up I think. If not, around there. However, Telus does not monitor. I’ve asked them twice and both times they said they do not monitor how much you use. In addition I’m sure I’ve easily gone over the upload limit, and have not had any problems with them.

Um, aren’t you the one complaining about speeds lately?

Which proves that the problem is the connection to and from Rupert, doesn’t it?

[quote=“MiG”]
Which proves that the problem is the connection to and from Rupert, doesn’t it?[/quote]

wtf is that supposed to mean…

[quote=“Iceman”]

[quote=“MiG”]
Which proves that the problem is the connection to and from Rupert, doesn’t it?[/quote]

wtf is that supposed to mean…[/quote]

Exactly what it says. Landon thought it was strange that his bandwidth in town was fast, but out of town was slow. That’s the problem citytel’s trying to solve.

Wouldnt it be more fair for those who pay the most to share the most bandwidth though?
What is the percentage of 2meg modems compared to that of the others?
we pay at least $10 a month more so they better not cap us all at the same speeds that wouldnt be fair. I am well under transfering at 180k/s all the time but when my files are being transfered they go at that then an hour later they are transferred again.

If they intend to cap me at a steady speed that just sucks because i am not using it ALL the time just every once in a while i upload some data 2.7gigs a day on average that isnt that much.

closes his GnuTella program after a few weeks of uptime

How much bandwidth do you think is being used by people downloading from a p2p program who don’t understand how to turn off their uploads? Lots of people come to me and ask how to use things like kazaa, and the first thing I tell them is to turn off their uploads. They are shocked that people can download off of them while they are doing the same to people. I think there are lots of people in town who don’t even realize that is happening, or how to turn it off. Maybe if citytel advises people to turn off the uploads, they won’t get the 70%. It might go down to 50% or so.

Still… if we are paying different prices for our connections, each connection type should get a certain speed they are able to up/down with. Paying $50 a month and gettting dial-up speed downloads for 3 weeks isn’t going to sit too well with people.

For those people who don’t even know they are uploading, then the packet shaper will slow down their uploads. They won’t notice.

All they would have to do is make a .reg file that turns all the upload features off of the most popular P2P programs and give it out to the customers.

Is it just me or does it seem like everyone is getting super tight with transfer limits? I remember back in the day when free hosting websites didnt care how much traffic you got or how much space you used for that matter (Crosswinds). Now it seems like there is no free hosting left and there are soo many restrictions on everything.

scarcity and demand, dude

The internet is no longer a free medium. You have to pay to access it and then pay to access the data once you are on it GO MSN/AOL GO

[quote=“MiG”]

[quote=“Iceman”]

wtf is that supposed to mean…

Exactly what it says. Landon thought it was strange that his bandwidth in town was fast, but out of town was slow. That’s the problem citytel’s trying to solve.[/quote]

I didn’t realize that that was the problem… I see now. Okay, this all makes more and more sence. It is the capacity being exchanged to and from rupert that is being used up. Not our intown pipes. Yeah, I wouldn’t have noticed that becuase I don’t send much outside of Rupert.

What I was trying to explain is that I hadn’t ever witnessed slow DSL up until they started toying with the setup they had (which worked for me)… I could only think to blame this new hardware. But if it’s like you say, and the problem is the Rupert->Rest of the world (not inside of Rupert) then this makes sence.

It just seemed that the only time the interent got slow was when Citytel started doing whatever they are doing. Ya know what I mean? I hadn’t ever had slow speed until THIS happened. Understand??? Like my transfers are still slow outside of Rupert, which is still alittle confusiong, becuase they never were until they did what they did…

See what I’m getting at?

Like with cable, if everyone is using it, and its at full capacity, EVERYONE gets bogged down, not just the people who started to use it last, right? So if I never ever got bogged down, then how were other? See my point-of-view?

[quote=“orangetang”]
I didn’t realize that that was the problem… I see now. Okay, this all makes more and more sence. It is the capacity being exchanged to and from rupert that is being used up. Not our intown pipes. Yeah, I wouldn’t have noticed that becuase I don’t send much outside of Rupert.[/quote]

Then you have nothing to worry about. Citytel pays a lot of money for traffic in and out of Rupert. Traffic inside Rupert is basically free, so they don’t care about that at all. That’s why they don’t care about CS servers and stuff. It’s primarily Rupert-to-Rupert traffic. If people play CS on local servers, it’s actually saving Citytel money.

[quote]
Like with cable, if everyone is using it, and its at full capacity, EVERYONE gets bogged down, not just the people who started to use it last, right? So if I never ever got bogged down, then how were other? See my point-of-view?[/quote]

How much you paying a month? Is it the cheapest DSL?

I enable uploads to support the nature of peer to peer networks. If everyone turned it off, then no one would be anywhere.

If you’re going ot use p2p, share your stuff!!

I leave my GnuTella client running so people can leach my stuff at will, and I just put an outgoing badwidth cap and network cap on it so it doesn’t totally rape my bandwidth. I don’t mind giving half of my bandwidth to others.

If there’s going to be a bandwidth shaper in place, I’ll probably increase the caps to a quarter of my bandwidth.

CityTel should publish online automated reports of limits in place.

[quote=“smartass”]How much bandwidth do you think is being used by people downloading from a p2p program who don’t understand how to turn off their uploads? Lots of people come to me and ask how to use things like kazaa, and the first thing I tell them is to turn off their uploads. They are shocked that people can download off of them while they are doing the same to people. I think there are lots of people in town who don’t even realize that is happening, or how to turn it off. Maybe if citytel advises people to turn off the uploads, they won’t get the 70%. It might go down to 50% or so.

Still… if we are paying different prices for our connections, each connection type should get a certain speed they are able to up/down with. Paying $50 a month and gettting dial-up speed downloads for 3 weeks isn’t going to sit too well with people.[/quote]

This is totally true. Even at school, when people were running it. My grandpa, both sets of parents and everyone else out with their computers didn’t know about the uploads… They are mostely one 1 Meg though… (12kb/s MAX upload) imagine how much that would screw over their connection! Or lets say they didn’t have 1Meg, like me, and my mom. If one of us left our Kazaa on, sending out 200kb/s for 10 hours a day, for a month. Thats approx 223,200,000kb of pointless Kazaa usage wasted, which is for sure beyond the resonable amount of usage. Now if that is very costly for citytel. I don’t think that the $40 dollars we would pay for a months worth of service would cover that charge that citytel would have paid for it.

Explaining that, I can see why CityTel woudl get one of these gizmos. You guys are right, it is only fair. I pay $40 a month for DSL. My speeds were comparable to those of you with the $60 a month DSL.

The reason I am upset is that I am seriously getting 56k speeds on all outgoing transfers (outside of Rupert). Now if this machine does what its suppose to, that will be fixed soon I hope.

So until that time arrives, I am dissapointed with my speeds right now, but if they are fixing it, rather than screwing me over. I appreciate it.

I’m still going into Citytel and telling them I’m not paying the $50 for the month of December. I will pay the $30 unlimited dial-up price instead. My downloads have been crappy since the middle of November, and they still are dial-up speeds 95% of the time. I don’t download/upload to barely anyone in Rupert except for a couple friends, and I am one of the people that really needs the out-of-town speeds to be up there. If I can’t upload, so be it. I’ll lose out on a lot of things, and downloading certain things will be harder, but at least I’ll have my good download speeds back. And by me saying good, I mean the 100+ I was getting before.

I still don’t understand why my speeds aren’t as good as Landon’s… I pay $10 a month more for my connection.

I must be missing out on something, but why does upload matter? Most people’s upload is slower than their download. Also last time I remember, those lines were full-duplex. Since most people probably download more than they upload, why is there a concern about uploading?

[quote=“smartass”]I’m still going into Citytel and telling them I’m not paying the $50 for the month of December. I will pay the $30 unlimited dial-up price instead. My downloads have been crappy since the middle of November, and they still are dial-up speeds 95% of the time. I don’t download/upload to barely anyone in Rupert except for a couple friends, and I am one of the people that really needs the out-of-town speeds to be up there. If I can’t upload, so be it. I’ll lose out on a lot of things, and downloading certain things will be harder, but at least I’ll have my good download speeds back. And by me saying good, I mean the 100+ I was getting before.

I still don’t understand why my speeds aren’t as good as Landon’s… I pay $10 a month more for my connection.[/quote]

You still on the 4mb? Cause that is half-duplex and atless if you are doing multiple downloads, you are not usually going to get great speeds. Also there is still an advantage, with DSL, your phoneline isn’t tied up. So that $10 is paying for something.