CityTel This Month

Has your Citytel connection been bad lately?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

I’m quite disgusted with the CityTel this month. I dunno what they are doing but I can’t do anything. Again, last night the net was down. Again, nothing good came from it. People previously would ping between 60-200ms on my BF server, now i’m lucky if they can sustain below 300ms. That is with only 10 people to. Once again my out goign speed sux. I tried to send a funny video of my cat shit kicking a talking xmas tree to someone today and it wouldn’t go over 8kb/s… I have DSL, they have DSL. WTF! This is almost as bad as the Nortel box, but I still have worse pings. Whats with the service? A few months ago an e-mail and/or phone call would at least let you know what is happening. I left an e-mail and a voicemail for Citytel almost 2 weeks ago. Now response… This is BS.

If you care, here is a shitty, screenshot of me going wtf?! as 14 people drop from my server within a second.

sniff sniff All I want for christmas is my old connection back… sniff

I haven’t expierienced much downtime, but I have been getting slower connection speeds.

What kind of connections you got?

Are you just saturating running servers?

I have 1mb DSL. :frowning:

I’ve got the so called “4Meg” Elastic Networks box. I barely use my bandwith for anything other than runnign a dedicated webserver/BF server.

It’s not really very good for running servers, I don’t think.

Maybe you should ask them for another kind?

Who was it that thought and EalsticBand modem was just any modem with some elastic bands around it?

I will post the email I got from Keith about my problems. I mentioned how Heather said it was becuase I had a p2p program installed…

**"The reason she may have mentioned that is in the last month or so we have started to analyze our traffic flows on our network and one suprising
development we have found that as much as 60-70% of our total outbound
traffic to the rest of the internet is P2P file sharing type traffic.

Sometimes there have been more people downloading files from people in
Rupert than there are users in Rupert downloading files from the rest of
the internet!

Overall P2P type traffic is having not a small affect on our total volume
of traffic and there are a few hundred users that are consuming more than
their “fair share” of bandwidth. We are trying various methods to
alleviate this problem and be able to allow everyone to share the
bandwidth more equally.

We have purchased a piece of equipment that will help us in managing our
bandwidth more effectivly it will be here within the next week.

We apologize for any inconvience this is causing but we are working on
methods to improve utilization of our bandwidth and you should see
improvments to this very shortly."**

So apparently, we are using too much bandwidth and they are going to monitor us now?? Which usually means they will be capping our downloads/uploads every month. Yay I can hardly wait :unamused:

Probably a bandwidth shaper.

If it finds that you’re uploading too much, or something, it will just slow you down some. I can’t see them limiting the AMOUNT of stuff you upload, just the CAPACITY at which you upload. So while they won’t stop you from using P2P programs, maybe they’ll say that P2P users will find their connection getting slower.

That might make you guys have better connections, I’ll bet. Unless you’re a P2P uploader :wink:

If they were having bandwith problems they should have sent out a notice. I would have cut back.No they wrecked the internet. One more reason not to live in Rupert.

Prince Rupert is the only know place that i know of that lets you have unlimeted upload and download with out paying for it. exaple cable in Prince George is 2gig download and 1 Gig upload you go over that and you have to pay.

Landon, have you gotten the line “Everyone else is experiencing very good speeds” too?? Like it’s all our fault or something.

They wrecked the internet?

Not for me they didn’t.

They’re just going to make it a bit more equitable. I doubt you’re the problem, really, orangetang. I’d say it is those guys running warez and mp3 servers. They’ll have their bandwidth reduced, which means more for the rest of us.

As for the “one more reason not to live in Rupert” idea, try running servers on Telus or Rogers Cable. See how fast they shut you down.

My box was good for serving until the end of last month… My BF server was kick ass. How the hell do you seperate a gaming server such as CEK, 6EK, and TG from a P2P file sharing server???

This is so stupid. Internet was FINE until they started this. I didn’t see any complaints of HTMF, and I’m pretty sure that there are users on every different connection available in Rupert.

I bet you get 3 Days use of your cable or adsl ANY where else befor they shut you down.

Give it a while, if you’re not a big uploader, you’ll find your speed getting better, I’ll bet. They’ll just cut down those who are big uploaders.

The reason you’re probably getting crappy performance right now is probably because your circuit is saturated with people who are using way too much bandwidth. If that’s not you, then it will get better when they are cut down, right?

Yes, Telus and Rogers are baaaaaad. I’ve talked to guys that have got their connections shut down after not even a week of serving things. Then the company limits them to 2GB of uploads a month or so.

For just downloading, and uploading… not gaming or anything, what is the best connection to have speed-wise that Citytel offers? Is 2 meg still a better thing to have or is it mostly for hosting and stuff?

Is it just me or has JM had his bandwidth neutered?

[quote] Give it a while, if you’re not a big uploader, you’ll find your speed getting better, I’ll bet. They’ll just cut down those who are big uploaders.

The reason you’re probably getting crappy performance right now is probably because your circuit is saturated with people who are using way too much bandwidth. If that’s not you, then it will get better when they are cut down, right? [/quote]

Supposedly.

We’ll see.

JM = Jim ? Right.