CityTel This Month

I don’t know how much you were uploading, Orangetang, but those who do upload a lot make things bad for everybody else.

If what keith says is true – 70% of outbound traffic is P2P – then think of if this way: our connection speeds could be 3-4 faster if they cut those guys down.

I moved HTMF to a mainly text-based site, with no downloads, killed my hotline server and my … other servers. The result is that now I use about 3 % of the uploading bandwidth I used just 6 months ago.

If I wanted to serve traffic big time, I’d get a business line. That’s only fair.

I think hes just really popular these days. I get 20k if I’m lucky.

Is this new device suppose to be installed and operable yet? When did you get that e-mail?

I don’t think that that thing is the problem right now. I cna’t see it causing a full load of people in a game server to drop all at once.

Well if you guys are downloading off of him all the time maybe he’s been affected by this boandwidth limiting crap too.

Elastic Modems suck in general, I havnt had much downtown in the whole 5 years of having my 2meg ADSL. WESTEL modem… great connection!

Despite the downtime (which I’d more likely blame on Telus than CityTel), CityTel is a very good ISP.

I was on the 4mb service and found it quite good. I was averaging 70kb/s up. With 10 uploads though, you get slow connections but you can have many at overall fast speeds. I was maxed out at 150kb/s up once.

When I first moved and had to get Shaw cause Telus didn’t service the area I was living in, I had non-stop bad experiences. On average I was getting disconnected three times a day, sometimes a dozen, and up to 30 minutes! My download speeds were 500kb/s the first day, after a week I was getting on average less than 100kb/s. After a month I got called up, I was told not share files on p2p services and cut my downloading. Oddly they didn’t complain about me running ftp/web/etc servers :stuck_out_tongue:

I moved again and got Telus, I’m still running servers, on their cheapest plan ($25/month), no complaints. Telus doesn’t care if you go over their limits.

I really would not be quick to judge CityTel, until you do try some of the competition, and work there. It wasn’t until I worked at CityTel until I realised that they are not as bad as many say. That and having Shaw@home.

Well if Citytel had high speed competition I’m sure tons of us would have already experimented with that!

If Monarch offered internet in Rupert, opinions might change. They look worse than shaw =/

Ok so are they planning on cutting 2 meg dsl as well? or what? i pay 60 bucks a month so i can host stuff files videos flash whatever i upload approximatly 1.2 gigs every day but thats why i pay for 2 meg dsl.

Users like jim upload WAY more than me but i can see this new piece of hardware screwing me over too. That is one of the reasons i liked citytel is there wasnt all these caps and stupid crap you had to worry about i can see limiting the upstream bandwidht for p2p programs like kazaa and everything but webservers is different there is way less people downloading files off of there so they shouldnt cap that. i will be pissed off if they do.

Monarch was supposed to have cable service in rupert by now… but as with anything else… it’s been delayed.

Dont they use the same towers to transmit to terrace or whatever anyways>?

Right now as it sits there still paying for the 3 t1s that were installed a few months back. And joel Yes it is all on the same tower through telus.

bastards cap the whole town :cry:

I read their user agreement, they simply say that anyone who is using more bandwidth then normal will be disconnected, they give no numbers, I downloaded 10s of gigs, and uploaded more, and I never got a complaint let alone disconnected.

Cable in Prince George is not capped, your just not allowed to run “server” programs, Telus is capped not sure at what it is thou.

I just can’t see the point in taking bandwith away from people who us eit and giving it to people that don’t… It doesn’t make any sence. When I was full of transfers I would always monitor my speeds, and they never slowed… If people were usign so much capacity, I sure as hell couldn’t tell. My speeds were consistent day after day, I don’t see how other peopel would have slow interent when I didn’t.

I don’t think that’s the point.

Let’s say right now, at this very moment, 100% of the bandwidth in and out of Rupert is used. 70% of that is P2P traffic. Probably only 5-6 people. The rest of the Citytel customers have to share the 30% left, since they’re not really sustaining a connection, just surfing. That means the majority of Citytel’s customers are getting slower speeds than they deserve, because 5 or 6 people are using a lot more than they paid for.

You know how much a T1 costs month? If you’re uploading/downloading about 180k/sec or so, you’re completely using up a T1. You might be paying $40/month for your connection, but Citytel’s paying thousands for that T1. That’s just not fair, it’s supposed to be shared with everybody, not hogged by one or two people.

Seriously, if you want sustained T1 speeds, go out and get yourself a T1 line. See the true cost of bandwidth.

Maybe they should charge by the megabyte or something. Then those who use it the most would pay the most.

While that would really suck for me, it makes complete sense, and if I was an ISP, I’d probably try to do that.

On my ISP here, I’m allowed 4gig combined upload/download outside the .ubc.ca domain per week. Everyone is given the same limit, if you go over, they cut you off or charge you extra or something. I’ve never gone over, even though I’ve come close… I mean, if I ran a l33t warez FTP or something, I’d be over in 15 seconds, but that’s against their rules, so I don’t. I’m pretty happy with it.

I just don’t see how that much can be used up. If even 70% was used, wouldn’t I notice a speed drop because of it?

I suppose if CityTel is loosing money, it makes perfect sence. It still sucks though though. People are enjoying a 300+ milisecond latency right now…

What confuses me is how I can trasfer intown as fast as I want, but anywhere outside is slow slow slow.