CBC Appreciation Thread

Massey Lectures, “The Current”, “Quirks and Quarks”, “Definitely Not the Opera” (sometimes)…

I really dig the CBC.

DNTO isn’t as great as it once was, but I like their small town report things. The Goose Bay one was great.

I really miss Gzowski – listened to him every day… and even Gabereau when she was on CBC radio.

The CBC overnight service rocks too.

Hey, you want real appreciation for the CBC? Drive across Canada from here to St. John’s. Then drive back through the USA. You’ll appreciate CBC radio much more.

thats a pretty masochistic idea!!!

We had a really good DNTO program in Thunder Bay, Ont. There was anyother CBC program around Christmas that always told those stories, some of those are good on long night drives.

kind of a tangent, but digging around in the anansi.ca forums where people are discussing the Massey lectures of Ronald Wright… I dont know whether to be afraid or emboldened by the number of people who espouse the same general values as myself with respect to GOOD IDEAS* vs. THE STATUS QUO*. Sure it is scary how many people seem to disregard (conciously or unconciously) the well being of the world in their day to day living but it seems there is a large volume of like-minded people who GET IT.

so whats the holdup?
why arent the people with the good ideas sweeping to positions of power?

[quote=“molten universe”]
so whats the holdup?
why arent the people with the good ideas sweeping to positions of power?[/quote]

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

i used to skip class to listen to the current.

that theme song is rockin.

cbc overnight is one ofthe reasons i have such a screwed up sleep pattern.

Before The Current (and the show before it), there was Morningside with Peter Gzowski. Very cool, very Canadian.

When Howard Stern was introduced in the Toronto market, Gzowski’s ratings actually increased. Gzowski was immensely popular, and influential. His obit is a great summary.

[quote=“Trotsky”]i used to skip class to listen to the current.

that theme song is rockin.
[/quote]

The best CBC theme song is the one for Dispatches. http://www.cbc.ca/dispatches/

[quote=“hoshq”]This is a discussion board, isn’t it?

So what’s up? Someone starts a thread about the CBC, and people make posts about which programs they like, and I say I like Danny Finkleman (of “Finkleman’s 45s” - which is on Saturday nights)… and five times my post gets deleted. Why? The post is on topic and it’s not offensive… so what’s up? Someone dislike music from the 50s, 60s and early 70s that much?[/quote]

Maybe it’s an April Fools joke that’s going on for too long?

Even though I don’t like Finkleman, I am not the one deleting your posts.

I didn’t delete them, hoshq, but maybe somebody thought you were trolling.

You seriously like Danny Finkleman?

Finkleman himself is the ultimate radio troll. Either that, or he’s just a grumpy old man. Too bad this is his last season on the air.

He hates everything about modern life.

Hates elevators, because they have buttons instead of little negros running them.

Hates computers because they’re not as reliable as typewriters.

Hates Digital Cameras because they don’t have any film, and you need to be a rocket scientist to use them.

You name anything in modern (ie: post-1950) life, and he’ll have a rant about how he hates it, and how everything was much better in his day.

Now while I completely despise Finkleman, the music’s alright. Though his anti-modern bias really shows at times. There’s a lot of “kids these days” mentality even in his choice of 60’s music!

And hey, not all Finklemans are idiots. Danny’s brother is a genius.

I like the music he plays. He does rant a bit too much though. In fact he’s on right now, talking positively about the internet.

I listened to a show this Saturday evening at 6:30 called Dispatches. It is a kind of radio drama where the host/main character talks to friends on the phone about odd topics. It was quirky but I thought it was really cool.

[quote=“hoshq”]

I like the music he plays. He does rant a bit too much though. In fact he’s on right now, talking positively about the internet.[/quote]

but earlier you said:

Ah, see how the impression could be left that you actually like the troll.

On the other hand Ken Finkleman, is funny as hell.

I don’t think anyone has mentioned the best cbc show ever - “As it happens”.Mary Lou Finlay and Barbara Budd are awesome. I really like the “Radio with …” part at the beginning.

Hey you’re right. I’ve always enjoyed all the in-jokes, too. Like “200kms North of Reading…”

That I agree with.

My favorites were the comedy show on thursday afternoons, ‘Madly off in all directions’. and ‘Dead dog cafe’ which was cancelled a year or so ago. Too Bad, really funny.

What about that one Stewart McLean/Vinyl Cafe?