Canpotex: Notice of Public Meeting

I also call bullshit on this. Phase 2 of the port was in the plans long before Canpotex has been in the picture. Pot ash has nothing to do with the container port.
Fear mongering won’t get Canpotex here, lets stick to the facts.

That is also my impression - Canpotex is finding it difficult to come to an agreement with First Nations groups in the community, so if they can seal those deals elsewhere and easier, there’s not much reason for them to set up here.

I thought R.T.I. came to some sort of agreement with the local Native Bands, which I’m assuming cantopex would fall under that umbrella.

In terms of Delta Port the local populace rallied against the Burns Bog development but fell onto deaf ears to Gordo and the rest of his cockass.

Now how has this come to light, is this based on fact or rather presumption, just wanna know.

I wonder if that agreement is still in place with the departure of Dan Veniez, haven’t heard much more about it since he left town and began his quest for political office down in the Lower Mainland.

The agreement between the bands and RTI is specific to RTI, just as the negotiations and law suits (the decisions are on the Federal Court site) concerning the Port are specific to the Port. While Mr Veniez tends to do things in a rather grand style, no one has ever said that he had a mandate to represent anyone other than RTI or bind future proponents like Cantopex. These port projects are so big each would have its own regulatory and other processes.

As for Cantopex having difficulties with the Tsimshians, I understand that they have met, but I don’t know the outcomes. Again, I think that the lack of progress between the bands and the Port has to be a bit of a negative.

I think it safe to say that the agreement is still in place. By all accounts the agreement was with RTI as a Crown owned company, not a handshake deal with Mr Veniez personally. 

Well, in any event, I think a strong local show of support for this project is needed.  I also understand that Canpotex had an earlier meeting some time ago, which attracted fewer than 20 people.  Let’s show community support not apathy for this project.

Since my last post on this issue, I went out and asked questions regarding such project. So what I heard which was very interesting a back this Canpotex group came to town expecting a meeting with Jacko of course. It could have been made into a modern day where is waldo. Jacko I am told did not show, I believe someone said he was in Vancouver.Further down the road and they show up and this time everyone was really confused.

With the startling news that rain and Potash don’t mix (or do mix), it looks to me that the only pot ash we will be seeing around here is going to be on pub washroom floors!

Obviously you did not go to the meeting last night. From what I gather, the facility, if it is built, will be “State of the Art” competely enclosed all along the production line. So this means they can load ships 365 days a year, the only problem will be with the wind.

Right I didn’t go to the meeting. I was basing my comment on the morning news item on CBC Daybreak that said the water/potash factor would be a negative in locating the facility on the North Coast.
Just for my curiosity, if the facility would be enclosed, why would wind be a problem?

I think the wind may pose a problem for loading as the winds get pretty high at times whn loading coal. I think the proposal has the delivery system as high as the coal ports and they seem to operate okay.

Yah, I almost fell off my chair when I heard that on the radio. Whoever did the reporting is an idiot and obviously cannot listen worth a damn.

Canpotex said they would have an enclosed facility (just like Vancouver, where I might add, it also tends to rain a little bit), and were working on an all-weather loader,  the capital expenditure would be about the same, the rail freight would be the same or possibly a little better. They said Prince Rupert was about even on most other fronts. As for the wind factor, at the grain terminal, they have to shut down shipping when winds get over 90 km/h, for safety and equipment stability. Probably the same at the coal.

The Container Port is 76km for crane shutdown

Wind sounds like a drawback. How often do these winds hit Ridley, and how often do they affect Lower Mainland ports?
I’m not trying to be negative about this project, but the decision where to build will be cost driven, and any potential delays in loading are very costly. 

sustained for a certain period

Seems like blowing 76km/h is a lull lately,lol,Had some pretty nasty winds, not even sure if we hit 76km/h for any length of time. Winds over 76km/h are not that common. I am sure not enough to sway any decisions Canpotex will make.

we’ve had a few wind delays lately but nothing to worry about

Potash exporter invests $37.5 million to speed up North Shore terminal

By Fiona Anderson, Vancouver SunOctober 20, 2009

Neptune Terminals in North Vancouver is getting a $37.5-million investment that will double the speed it can move potash.

The money – which is coming from Neptune’s shareholder Canpotex, the exporting arm for Saskatchewan’s potash producers – will be used to upgrade the material handling and conveyor systems that transports the potash from trains and moves it first into storage and then onto ships.

When completed, in about 18 months, the terminal will be able to move 6,000 tonnes of potash an hour, up from 3,000, Neptune’s president Jim Belsheim said in an interview.

That won’t double overall capacity but it will increase it significantly, he said.

“It allows us to run more reliably, [with] better service and more volume,” Belsheim said.

Belsheim expects that about 30 more full-time employees will be needed after the equipment is installed as shifts are added at the terminal.

In March, the federal and provincial governments announced they would provide $137 million towards $260-million worth of road and rail projects aimed at improving access to the terminals on the North Shore including Neptune.

Besides potash, which is used largely for fertilizer, metallurgical coal used in making steel and canola oil is also shipped through Neptune.

fionaanderson@vancouversun.com
vancouversun.com/Potash+expo … tory.html#

Looks like Canpotex is going with the North Shore option. Seemed like it was an either build new in Rupert, or upgrade North Shore. With the Feds and Provincial governments also tossing in 400 mill for upgrades in infrastructure in North Van we had no chance.

Oh my god! The poor old Prince is left at the altar again! What a surprise!
However all is not lost. From the tone of the big meeting at the pac it seems that they
’really liked us’. Mr and Mrs. Prince Rupert, write letters to their board telling them again that we ‘really really really like them’! A few home made pies thrown in wouldn’t hurt either.

How 'bout some smoked fish too…Would that help sweeten the pot ?  :unamused: