Candle Light Vigil November 26, 2012

Will likely upset a lot people but the feral cat population should be caught and put down. Yes it is sad but it’s much more humane than what is occurring.

By spay/neuter and returning the cats to where they were caught, these cats form clowders (communities). They protect each other and DO NOT allow new comers into their fold, which means if someone is cruel enough to dump a cat there, it will not remain there. By controlling the population like this the cats “control their territory”, the males do not roam and fight, the females are getting run down having litter after litter; you will have a “set” number of cats in each clowder so you know exactly how many are there.
The other issue will have to also be addressed! The reason these cats are being dumped is mainly due to ignorance, but there is also the factor that there simply is no where to take them. Our SPCA is tiny! They do not have the capacity to handle a large number of cats. People need to be provided with another option OR the SPCA must be provided enough funding to expand their areas for cats in their care.
The videos by the bird conservationists are very skewed! They try to convince you that the cats are “bad” and “hurt the bird populations”…they cannot make that kind of impact here. Tonnes of people here in Rupert already are feeding tonnes of cats…many would welcome feeding stations instead of having 10 - 20 cats sitting on their back porch. By properly placing the stations they would not be an eye soar and will give these people a place to help these cats. All relocating will do is cause more problems. Where would you relocate too? The cat population is much more extensive than people realize and is spread from one end of this town to the other. There is no where to relocate to.

Some may have to be put down due to health issues BUT if you removed all of the cats…we will be overrun with rodents which in turn would cause a MAJOR health problem for the residents of the community. Mass euthanasia is proven not to work, the Vacuum Effect. Killing them off is NOT the solution. The last time a large clowder died off in our downtown core the hotel, apartments, etc that they “took care of” had mice running up and down the halls for over 2 years until new ferals moved into the area and “cleaned up”. The do provide a service, now we need to help them! The citizens of this community created this issue and they now need to help clean it up.

There is nothing like threatening small furry animals to get people’s emotions going, keyboards clicking, and wallets opening.

I believe it is generally accepted in science that a ecosystem will support a certain amount of life. A key parameter in the ecosystem that governs the amount of life that can be supported is the amount of food available. Generally if you increase the amount of food, the more life can be supported.

So, if we start feeding cats, we will be increasing the food supply. We can therefore expect an increase in the amount of life (aka cats and possibly other animals) that are around. This will happen as it simply impossible to neuter all the cats, and as the some people have indicated, cats can be incredibly prolific.

If we want to control the cat population, we should be reducing the amount of food that is available. Trapping, neutering and releasing cats is at best a ‘feel good’ exercise.

(by the way, I love cats)

Is it not funny or strange that no one did answer my questions re society and I believe that when somegroup is seeking help in the way of dollars, there may or should be questions concerning where the money is going , who is in charge where is the board , what is the name of the society . Why does this group , individual do everything as backward . No Building or location to get started properly , no society , no board and no tax number .

Gosh there will always be plenty of cats around domestic stray cats are not going anywhere. I am talking about thining out the feral cat population… the cats I am feeding on the door step are domestic strays and I am going to continue to feed them I gave one a home a couple years ago and that is all i can take in, she has made a wonderful house cat…

Also I do agree there needs to be acountibility ie Society etc… also I would frankly rather see a candle light vigil for a human cause as much as I love cats…

[quote=“jamesbrown”]Gosh there will always be plenty of cats around domestic stray cats are not going anywhere. I am talking about thining out the feral cat population… the cats I am feeding on the door step are domestic strays and I am going to continue to feed them I gave one a home a couple years ago and that is all i can take in, she has made a wonderful house cat…

Also I do agree there needs to be acountibility ie Society etc… also I would frankly rather see a candle light vigil for a human cause as much as I love cats…[/quote]

That’s the one issue I have “jamesbrown” as I posted earlier, the domesticated stray cats. It is so sad how many abandoned cats are in my area alone. I have taken in one to keep my little gal company and my fiance just took another one in after he had to have his beauty put down in May. We had been feeding this poor cat for over 2 years but now he is a happy boy, indoors, safe and loved! I was over at Digby/Sherbrooke last night as there used to be cats under the stairs of the building and in the garage across from Sherbrooke but it looks like they are gone and I know a couple of neighbors there had threatened to poison them. I don’t have any answers, I love cats and hope that something humane can be done. I guess, until then, we do what we can.

Do you not read?
I was folding the organization when I was approached by Paws & Claws who opened their store to support the ‘CANNERY ROW ANIMAL SHELTER ASSOCIATION SOCIETY’
I was folding because of the lack of support and the negative comments which always seem to be ignorant, I was folding because of the lack of district support.
You can find our group on face book
We are not asking for dollars, we asked the council to reconsider their decision to support the spca.
You just leave me shaking my head, really.

[quote=“alicek”]We are a society, but a non profit…not a Registered Charity. Therefore no tax receipts.
I have gone over the papers and found them totally intimidating, time consuming and just really really scarry.
My board is really name only, when we went before Pt Ed council we were knocked down over and over and over.
Can’t blame the board.
We are the same as NARA in Terrace, they foster as they have no central location either. I have cats in my porch and living room.
When we went before the district I must admit I was pretty niave in thinking they would let us use the dog pound…no.
So, we foster and help people who foster.
I was folding the group when Val and Gary approached us from Paws & Claws, so here we are again.
My health is not so great and it took much time to convince me, I have had 25 cats in my porch and living room.
REally good for relationships, and I was so run down I had bronchistis for 2 months, I could not find anybody to foster for me.
That showed me how badly this is needed.[/quote]

[quote=“alicek”]

Do you not read?
I was folding the organization when I was approached by Paws & Claws who opened their store to support the ‘CANNERY ROW ANIMAL SHELTER ASSOCIATION SOCIETY’
I was folding because of the lack of support and the negative comments which always seem to be ignorant, I was folding because of the lack of district support.
We are not asking for dollars, we asked the council to reconsider their decision to support the spca.
You just leave me shaking my head, really.[/quote]

I don’t understand all the business and financial stuff here but if you are taking money from the town, donations, coin boxes, bank account etc. then maybe that is where some of the confusion is because you say you are not asking for money… I admire your goal Alice but I have a neighbour who has 5 cats she has rescued and paid to have fixed and also has found homes for others she has found and paid for them to be fixed. Should she be able to have money donated to her also? seems the same. Kim has been rescuing cats for years and I don’t think has gone to the town for donations, I don’t know. Let’s talk about dogs now and thier pooping all over town.

I have nothing to do with dogs, the spca takes care of them.
Donation jars, which is usually not much, once was there a deposit of $93.00.
Like I said, we are the poorest shelter in the north. We get no other donations.
It would be nice to be able to help this lady out, if we had the cash we would.
Our last donation from paws & claws was $200 a couple months ago, which barely covers much.
Vaccinating 4 kittens cost $303.
We barely have $200 in our account right now which is for emergencies, medical supplies or if a cat needs to see a vet.

Actually, over the past 20 years or so I have been doing this I have approached the city NUMEROUS times asking for assistance for even a small amount of $1000…denied every time. I applied through my society to the city each year for assistance through one of their programs…denied every time!! That is why I came back on board to support Alice and the SPCA! They have had ALL the facts for as long as I have been doing this. I have done presentations for them in the past and they have been well aware of the problem and that is it getting worse. When I saw the presentation Anna did to council, and the way they treated her I was floored! The SPCA wants to help our community, offering financial assistance! After 20 years of city council and the mayors ignoring the problem, continually denying to offer help when asked…All we are asking is that people join us in our support of the SPCA’s offer! Many people have been doing this on their own for too long… We want people to understand the magnitude of the situation and have ALL the facts. I think the majority of the people in our city are unaware of how bad it is, how many animals are out there through no fault of their own. The city needs to STOP denying the issue, step up and “finally” say yes we will help.

[quote=“Jazella”]

Do you not read?
You just leave me shaking my head, really.
I don’t understand all the business and financial stuff here but if you are taking money from the town, donations, coin boxes, bank account etc. then maybe that is where some of the confusion is because you say you are not asking for money… I admire your goal Alice but I have a neighbour who has 5 cats she has rescued and paid to have fixed and also has found homes for others she has found and paid for them to be fixed. Should she be able to have money donated to her also? seems the same. Kim has been rescuing cats for years and I don’t think has gone to the town for donations, I don’t know. Let’s talk about dogs now and thier pooping all over town.[/quote]

Donation jars are helpful, but only when people are not “raiding them” or stealing the entire jar. I have no idea how many times I would go to check my jars to find them gone or empty!

[quote=“alicek”]I have nothing to do with dogs, the spca takes care of them.
Donation jars, which is usually not much, once was there a deposit of $93.00.
Like I said, we are the poorest shelter in the north. We get no other donations.
It would be nice to be able to help this lady out, if we had the cash we would.
Our last donation from paws & claws was $200 a couple months ago, which barely covers much.
Vaccinating 4 kittens cost $303.
We barely have $200 in our account right now which is for emergencies, medical supplies or if a cat needs to see a vet.[/quote]

So AliceK , honest I am not trying to pick on you but offer some valuable advice . I still believe that if you had a BOARD , an ACCOUNTANT , a SOCIETY as well a SPOKES PERSON who can remain calm under questions and answer periods . Yes I can read by the way and I only tell you this stuff because I have dealt with BIG BROTHER for years . Secret get one on your side . You also need ads re Kittys .

Non-profit societies do not have to have a physical address. I ran one for 10 years. As a registered non-profit there “must” be a board, which she has; hold regular meetings, which they do; do not “have” to have a regular accountant but keep files and records, which she does; file regular reports once a year to the government, which she does! We do have at least “one on our side” and a supporter has made up some wonderful posters for us. The only issue is that posters and things of that nature…they cost money, lots of it, and Cannery Row does NOT have much for funds. Anything they do have is on hold for emergencies at this point. This vigil is for the SPCA! To support what they were asking for; to support their request to help our community.

How many Board members ? Who is Chair . who is Vise Chair , who records ? When is the next meeting ?

How about you go onto Facebook and look up Cannery Road Animal Shelter?! If your that curious about the board why not go to the government site and look up the society…it is public record. This is NOT about them…it is about the SPCA and the city! They post their meetings on the FB site and send out invites to their members. Maybe, instead of being so suspicious of CRAS do some home work and stick to the issue at hand. It is easy to find this information but instead you insist on focusing on a society that is simply supporting our local animal shelter. Go to FB, look it up for yourself. Easier than continuing to come back and continue to ask the same questions over and over.

Hi Justin - I will try to be a little less hostile with a response to your post. I think there is a facebook account that hosts all your answers, I “think”. I also think that the group on facebook isn’t getting the support they are craving and as a result, have decided to go public, i.e. using this forum to promote their hard work. I think they may have a great idea, but I also think… well, that some can be a little hostile when questioned? Just sayin…

Well I thank you Sir , just wanted answers as others do but they choose not to go on F.B .

I apologize if the comment I made came across as “hostile”. It was not meant to be. I simply wanted to “repeat” what has been said before several times but is not being read. This Vigil is for the SPCA yet Justin seems to be focused on a new rescue society that is simply supporting our one and only shelter.

[quote=“Cst. Ferman”]

Hi Justin - I will try to be a little less hostile with a response to your post. I think there is a facebook account that hosts all your answers, I “think”. I also think that the group on facebook isn’t getting the support they are craving and as a result, have decided to go public, i.e. using this forum to promote their hard work. I think they may have a great idea, but I also think… well, that some can be a little hostile when questioned? Just sayin…[/quote]