Candle Light Vigil November 26, 2012

Hi, Alice here. The council is reconsidering their decision! This is going to be decided November 26, 2012…we are calling for a Candle Light Vigil at 6:15 pm with signage stating ‘say yes’ ‘let’s build a sanctuary’ ‘dare to dream’ etc.
This reconsideration does not happen very often, I believe that community support will aide them in making their decision, they need to know this is supported.
Thank you.

By Shaun Thomas - The Northern View
Published: November 14, 2012 8:00 AM
Updated: November 14, 2012 9:19 AM

Cat lovers made a passionate plea to Prince Rupert city council on Nov. 13: Become part of the feral cat solution before the problem in the city gets any worse.

Alice Kruta of the Cannery Row Animal Shelter was joined by Kim St. Pierre in asking council to reconsider a request by Prince Rupert SPCA manager Anna Terebka to provide $7,500 for a trap, neuter release program, but also asked council to allow the group to construct feeding stations at various points around town.

“Anna was right when she said that we are in crisis mode… If we don’t do something about this Prince Rupert will have cats that are like rats. Prince Rupert will be overrun with cats,” said Kruta, adding that diseases carried by the cats is a major concern.

“If we don’t do something to address the population, we’re going to have cats dying of disease. Kids will come across the dead cats and be curious, so you will have kids handling dead bodies,” added St. Pierre.

Kruta said that the SPCA, the Prince Rupert Wildlife Shelter and the Cannery Row Shelter Association are united in their desire to have this addressed, and they feel the community as a whole is largely behind them.

“A lot of residents in Prince Rupert are digging deep into their pockets to help solve this problem,” said St. Pierre, who says she has spent thousand of dollars of her own money spaying and neutering cats and helping them find new homes.

“I have elders saying they can’t pay their mortgage and that they went to the bank again because they can’t pay their mortgage but they also can’t let the cats they’re feeding starve… I have had so much support from people and from businesses. The only place the support hasn’t come from is from the governments, which is sad when you look at what other districts are doing,” said Kruta, pointing to a $2.8 million animal shelter built earlier this year in Delta.

And while council will discuss the impassioned request at the next meeting, some councillors expressed concern about supporting it.

“We have social issues in this town, we’re losing money because we’re losing industry and there is not a lot of money left. We’re stretched thin…We don’t have the resources to do anything about this. That $7,500 may seem small, but it is still $7,500. That $7,500 is money that might not go to a group that is doing things for children in town, and I put children above cats at this point,” said councillor Gina Garon.

“I see inhumanity in trap, neuter, release. What I see with feral cats is starving cats, diseased cats, cats freezing and with feeding stations I imagine sanitation concerns… As much as I hate to say euthanizing, I hate to see cats suffering and with trap, neuter, release I see cats suffering,” added councillor Anna Ashley.

[quote=“alicek”]Hi, Alice here. The council is reconsidering their decision! This is going to be decided November 26, 2012…we are calling for a Candle Light Vigil at 6:15 pm with signage stating ‘say yes’ ‘let’s build a sanctuary’ ‘dare to dream’ etc.
This reconsideration does not happen very often, I believe that community support will aide them in making their decision, they need to know this is supported.
Thank you.

By Shaun Thomas - The Northern View
Published: November 14, 2012 8:00 AM
Updated: November 14, 2012 9:19 AM

Cat lovers made a passionate plea to Prince Rupert city council on Nov. 13: Become part of the feral cat solution before the problem in the city gets any worse.

Alice Kruta of the Cannery Row Animal Shelter was joined by Kim St. Pierre in asking council to reconsider a request by Prince Rupert SPCA manager Anna Terebka to provide $7,500 for a trap, neuter release program, but also asked council to allow the group to construct feeding stations at various points around town.

“Anna was right when she said that we are in crisis mode… If we don’t do something about this Prince Rupert will have cats that are like rats. Prince Rupert will be overrun with cats,” said Kruta, adding that diseases carried by the cats is a major concern.

“If we don’t do something to address the population, we’re going to have cats dying of disease. Kids will come across the dead cats and be curious, so you will have kids handling dead bodies,” added St. Pierre.

Kruta said that the SPCA, the Prince Rupert Wildlife Shelter and the Cannery Row Shelter Association are united in their desire to have this addressed, and they feel the community as a whole is largely behind them.

“A lot of residents in Prince Rupert are digging deep into their pockets to help solve this problem,” said St. Pierre, who says she has spent thousand of dollars of her own money spaying and neutering cats and helping them find new homes.

“I have elders saying they can’t pay their mortgage and that they went to the bank again because they can’t pay their mortgage but they also can’t let the cats they’re feeding starve… I have had so much support from people and from businesses. The only place the support hasn’t come from is from the governments, which is sad when you look at what other districts are doing,” said Kruta, pointing to a $2.8 million animal shelter built earlier this year in Delta.

And while council will discuss the impassioned request at the next meeting, some councillors expressed concern about supporting it.

“We have social issues in this town, we’re losing money because we’re losing industry and there is not a lot of money left. We’re stretched thin…We don’t have the resources to do anything about this. That $7,500 may seem small, but it is still $7,500. That $7,500 is money that might not go to a group that is doing things for children in town, and I put children above cats at this point,” said councillor Gina Garon.

“I see inhumanity in trap, neuter, release. What I see with feral cats is starving cats, diseased cats, cats freezing and with feeding stations I imagine sanitation concerns… As much as I hate to say euthanizing, I hate to see cats suffering and with trap, neuter, release I see cats suffering,” added councillor Anna Ashley.[/quote]

Candle light vigil for cats lol to funny. I know there is a problem in this town with cats, but like other people have said I would rather have the money go towards the elderly or children.

cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c3#/vi … oversy.cnn

You know, I appreciate your comment regarding monies going towards the children and the elderly…BUT a majority of the people who feed and look after the cats are the elderly. They can’t afford it, but they also will not turn a blind eye to a starving animal either. When we were able to bring in 2 skids of cat food, the first people we gave it to was the elderly who feed them, they were touched. We are now also helping as much as we can s/n. If you ask as Paws and Claws, they state that most of their donations come from the elderly, they want to help. It helps them if we take care of the cats.

There will always be other areas where money can be spent. The question that I ask is, “Is this necessary spending?” I think that it is. Whether more money is needed for children, the elderly or for other areas is irrelevant. Rupert has a cat problem and it needs to be dealt with… Period! These problems don’t solve themselves.

Candlelight vigil? I dunno about that but I do support what you are trying to do.

a candle light vigil for feral cats???
its not even aprils fools day!!!

with the citys finances they way they are to hand over $7500 would be a slap in the face to alot of local groups…

wisen up

I read this piece about a Candle Light Vigil , then I had this real thought of reality . Why do all the individuals concerned about the safety and care for these little cats , sit down and watch how the people in Terrace who have the same concern do it . It is very easy to see how they accomplish some of their goals, hint hint they all work together for one cause and from what I have noticed for years they seem to do such for many issues affecting their community . Here we have I believe three or four groups all trying to do something but on their own I believe . I take my hat off to the SPCA for some very positive moves as of late , the Paws & Claws Thrift Store are serving their purpose very well it seems . The Wildlife people Gaunther and Nancy and their board are so very awesome with what they provide , put aside certain neighbours who are trying to destroy their hard work . The operation in Port Edward ,I am unable to comment on because I have not seen their mission statement if there is such . I suggest all these people involved sit down and observe how they do these things in Terrace , where no one is fighting for territory but for the one cause .

[quote=“mcsash”]a candle light vigil for feral cats???
its not even aprils fools day!!!

with the citys finances they way they are to hand over $7500 would be a slap in the face to alot of local groups…

wisen up[/quote]

They are essentially asking Council to reverse thier decision regarding giving the SPCA $7500. for a spay/neuter program that Anna, the Manager, had proposed and is necessary for our town. “mcsash”, I am an avid cat lover and though you may not agree with a candlelight vigil as I don’t really either, I do support the intention and the cause and I definitely support the SPCA, both our Branch and the provincial. Many people are working diligently to help these poor cats, not all are feral, a good many are dumped pets. My fiance and I both have taken in 2 cats, abandoned by their owners and many in town are feeding and having these cats fixed at their own expense. Something has to be done, for sure.

cody
im just saying its the candle light vigil is silly…you seem to agree…

i dont disagree with the program just shouldnt be funded to a large extent by the tax payer at the municipal level

Imagine what could have been done about the feral cat problem with the money spent on that partially completed new sign to tell all the people leaving town where the civic centre is!

This is from News for Southwest Michigan
"Aaron Winters, Executive Director of the Kalamazoo Humane Society…
So often we get the question “Isn’t it better if you just catch all these cats and just take them and euthanize them? I’ve been in the business for 25 years and probably for nearly 100 years, the just picking and holding stray animals and disposing of them has not worked.
Winters says the Feral Cat Program has been going on for a year and that monitored statistics of cats coming into shelters show improvement. He feels that a dollar invested in spaying and neutering feral cats saves five or ten dollars otherwise spent picking up, euthanizing and disposing of them.”

In Pt Edward, we foster as we have no shelter. We have worked hand in hand with the Rupert SPCA as they recognize the crisis also. Our mandate is to implement a tnr program, build a shelter and speak for those who also do the same in the area.

We know that most of the people who help are elders, and they are our priority, to ease their burden, by providing food, assist with spaying or neutering. Heaven knows the elders deserve more, but this is what we have to offer.

Do what Spokane did!

video.kxly.com/watch.php?id=12260

The news clip you were so quick to put up is 2008! Believe me progress has been made since, like humanity has stepped up.

spokanecity.org/services/doc … &Find=cats

Title 10 Regulation of Activities
Division II. License Code

Chapter 10.24 Animals
Article I. Miscellaneous

Section 10.24.030 Impoundment
Animal at Large.
Any animal running at large or any unlicensed animal running at large may be immediately impounded by the animal control officer or a police officer.

Notice of Animal Impoundment.
Any animal control officer upon apprehension of an animal, makes a complete register, entering the breed, color, and sex of the animal and whether or not the animal is licensed. If the animal is licensed, the officer enters the name and address of the owner or keeper and the number of the license tag.

If reasonably possible, the officer, in his discretion, immediately returns the animal to its recorded owner or keeper.

If it is not reasonably possible to immediately return the animal to its owner or keeper, the animal control shelter notifies the owner or keeper within forty-eight hours by mail, telephone or personal notice that the animal has been impounded and where it may be redeemed upon payment of applicable fees.

Animal Holding Period.
Any dog or cat wearing a current City animal license is held for the owner or keeper for ten days from the time of impoundment, including weekends and excluding holidays.

All unlicensed dogs shall be scanned for forms of electronic identification. Any unlicensed dog is held for seventy-two hours from the time of impoundment, including weekends and excluding holidays. In the instance a dog has been micro chipped or has some other traceable source of identification or tag that provides the animal control agency with information as to the dog’s owner, but is not licensed, the dog will be held for five days.

All unlicensed cats shall be scanned for forms of electronic identification. There shall be no required holding period for unlicensed cats. At the discretion of the City’s animal control agency, the length of time an unlicensed cat may be held depends on:

the temperament of the cat;

whether the cat is feral and/or dangerous to the safety of humans or other animals;

if the animal is sick or injured;

if there is capacity at the designated shelter area for cats; and

whether placement through adoption is available.

In the instance a cat has been micro chipped or has some other traceable source of identification or tag that provides the animal control agency with information as to the cat’s owner, but is not licensed, the cat will be held for five days.

All animals not claimed after the appropriate waiting period become the property of the animal shelter agency and may be put up for adoption to the public or euthanized in a humane manner.

Injured, diseased or wild animals need not be detained for the holding period but may be disposed of in a humane manner at any time at the discretion of the animal shelter agency.

License Requirement.
Any dog or cat adopted or reclaimed must be licensed.

The animal license fee may be refunded to an adopter if a written request for refund is made and the animal is returned to the shelter within fourteen days after adoption.

Animal Redemption.
An impounded animal is released to its owner or custodian upon presentation of proof of ownership and payment of the appropriate fees set forth in SMC 8.02.080.

At the discretion of the administration of the animal control authority, all or part of the redemption fee may be waived.
Date Passed: Monday, July 21, 2008

ORD C34280 Section 1

Hopefully they also raise money to educate people about responsible cat ownership.

Let me start off by saying that Spokane is a DIFFERENT CITY, Washington is IN A DIFFERENT COUNTRY, and that was FOUR YEARS AGO! How many of you saying to kill off these poor creatures know anything about our community? How many of you saying to kill them off have worked the streets with these animals and actually done TNR? I have and very successfully in this community for over 20 years! Do you understand the impact it would have on this city if they were all killed off? These animals are here ONLY because of irresponsible humans. They did not ask to be living a life that no living creature should. Our city is a small, international port and fishing community. If we murdered these animals what do you think would happen to our mouse and rats populations?! What animal carries the Hunta Virus…MICE!! What animal is the cause for the Plague…RATS!! If we “did what Spokane did” we would be over run with mice and rats within months. They actually do “serve” our community by keeping a tight control on these rodents. If not for these “voiceless working citizens”, our community would have a serious disease and rodent issue. All we are asking is that the females be given a chance to have a healthy, happy life. By being bred over and over they bodies give all that they have to raising kittens; they can even get pregnant while nursing! By spaying and neutering we do not just control the population, we give them healthier lives! By spaying and neutering the do not wander and form clowders where “new comers” are not allowed, thereby the clowder will not increase in size. By feeding them healthy regular diets they can be as healthy as a “domestic” pet. How do I know? After 20 years of TNR in this community I have PROVEN it works. The “Vacuum Effect” shows that euthanizing DOES NOT WORK. All that happens, when you “remove” cats from an area…more move in. This problem is not the fault of the cats, it is the fault of the citizens who have put them there in the first place. These cats deserve respect and a healthy life (as best as we can make it).

The Vacuum Effect: Why Catch and Kill Doesn’t Work: alleycat.org/document.doc?id=534.

If you want to “quote” from other countries, how about this one: a recent national survey conducted in the U.S. by Alley Cat Rescue. prnewswire.com/news-releases … 63395.html The survey states, “If you need proof that many cats can live long lives in colonies: One quarter of the groups report that their colony cats ar
e 6 to 8 years old. Thirty-five percent report their cats are between 9 and 12 years old, and over 14% report feral cats 13 years old and some even older” Further, “One third reported that there were 26 to 30 kittens in each colony before TNR; 42.86% said there were 0-5 kittens in colonies after TNR.” It is the unmanaged, out-of-control population of cats that is suffering; not managed colony cats.

Money is better spent elsewhere? That has always been their “excuse”. They spend tonnes of money on signs we don’t need. They spend tonnes of money on “road repairs and maintenance” yet I seem to find that most of our roads are in horrible condition. There will always be areas that money needs to be spent. Now is the time to put it towards helping clean up the suffering the governing body of our community has allowed “its citizens” to create. If our city council and mayor show pride in the “voiceless, working citizens” of our community, the people will follow!

Unless you know the “facts” of our community do not just make blanket statements and compare us to other cities elsewhere. Do not use things that are in the past. This is now. Ignoring the problem has not worked. TNR HAS WORKED, my work in the community has proven it! The city has KNOWN that it works for as long as 15 years.

Why the candle light vigil? To show our unity. To show we care about our voiceless citizens. To say we have had enough of the councils and mayor ignoring the issue. IT IS TIME TO STAND UP AND GIVE THESE VOICELESS CITIZENS A VOICE!

Well Kim now that we have everyone’s attention there is more than one way to skin a cat and get money for your cause.

Take a look at Calgary and “The Responsible Pet Owner Bylaw”

calgary.ca/CSPS/ABS/Pages/An … bylaw.aspx

With the licensing of cats (there is more than just the cats, you have read into it) they have managed to basically do what you want.

So instead of crying the blues swinging back and forth with candles ask the city to change their licence for pets.

Ask them to look into what Calgary has accomplished.

“Calgary, when it comes to animal control, is the envy of the continent.”

These regulations you are so quick to vote are for a city that is the second largest in Washington with a population of 208,916…our community is only 12,000 people!! We are a tiny international port and fishing community that, without these animals, we would be over run with rodents and disease. We do not have the man power to enforce regulations like these. Until you do your research and understand where we are coming from, “know” about our community, please don’t give us quotes that are for a completely different population base IN A DIFFERENT COUNTRY!

[quote=“katray”]http://www.spokanecity.org/services/documents/smc/?Section=10.24.030&Find=cats

Title 10 Regulation of Activities
Division II. License Code

Chapter 10.24 Animals
Article I. Miscellaneous

Section 10.24.030 Impoundment
Animal at Large.
Any animal running at large or any unlicensed animal running at large may be immediately impounded by the animal control officer or a police officer.

Notice of Animal Impoundment.
Any animal control officer upon apprehension of an animal, makes a complete register, entering the breed, color, and sex of the animal and whether or not the animal is licensed. If the animal is licensed, the officer enters the name and address of the owner or keeper and the number of the license tag.

If reasonably possible, the officer, in his discretion, immediately returns the animal to its recorded owner or keeper.

If it is not reasonably possible to immediately return the animal to its owner or keeper, the animal control shelter notifies the owner or keeper within forty-eight hours by mail, telephone or personal notice that the animal has been impounded and where it may be redeemed upon payment of applicable fees.

Animal Holding Period.
Any dog or cat wearing a current City animal license is held for the owner or keeper for ten days from the time of impoundment, including weekends and excluding holidays.

All unlicensed dogs shall be scanned for forms of electronic identification. Any unlicensed dog is held for seventy-two hours from the time of impoundment, including weekends and excluding holidays. In the instance a dog has been micro chipped or has some other traceable source of identification or tag that provides the animal control agency with information as to the dog’s owner, but is not licensed, the dog will be held for five days.

All unlicensed cats shall be scanned for forms of electronic identification. There shall be no required holding period for unlicensed cats. At the discretion of the City’s animal control agency, the length of time an unlicensed cat may be held depends on:

the temperament of the cat;

whether the cat is feral and/or dangerous to the safety of humans or other animals;

if the animal is sick or injured;

if there is capacity at the designated shelter area for cats; and

whether placement through adoption is available.

In the instance a cat has been micro chipped or has some other traceable source of identification or tag that provides the animal control agency with information as to the cat’s owner, but is not licensed, the cat will be held for five days.

All animals not claimed after the appropriate waiting period become the property of the animal shelter agency and may be put up for adoption to the public or euthanized in a humane manner.

Injured, diseased or wild animals need not be detained for the holding period but may be disposed of in a humane manner at any time at the discretion of the animal shelter agency.

License Requirement.
Any dog or cat adopted or reclaimed must be licensed.

The animal license fee may be refunded to an adopter if a written request for refund is made and the animal is returned to the shelter within fourteen days after adoption.

Animal Redemption.
An impounded animal is released to its owner or custodian upon presentation of proof of ownership and payment of the appropriate fees set forth in SMC 8.02.080.

At the discretion of the administration of the animal control authority, all or part of the redemption fee may be waived.
Date Passed: Monday, July 21, 2008

ORD C34280 Section 1[/quote]

How mature. If you are not with us…don’t post! I do think all of us women are "B"eautiful, "I"nteligent, "T"alented,"C"reative, "H"aroines!

We have given them all this information before. They haven chosen, for decades to simply ignore the facts and the situation. I have given them information about Calgary and numerous other communities…they “don’t hear it”… Our vigil is to show we are serious! That we have had enough of them ignoring the issue. We have attempted to implement bylaws for cats in the past…it won’t work here. Most of the abandoned cats on our streets are there because people have dumped them there and left the community. When I first came here our population was over 20,000; now we are only about 12,000. The licensing of cats will not work here; the people responsible for the suffering will not pay for licences, we do not have the man power to enforce the bylaws, and we have no where to house ANY of the animals we are trying to help. We are NOT singing the blues and waving candles. We are standing united, showing them we are not going away, that we are tired of them ignoring the problem. It brings attention to the problem in a way they can no longer ignore.

[quote=“katray”]Well Kim now that we have everyone’s attention there is more than one way to skin a cat and get money for your cause.

Take a look at Calgary and “The Responsible Pet Owner Bylaw”

calgary.ca/CSPS/ABS/Pages/An … bylaw.aspx

With the licensing of cats (there is more than just the cats, you have read into it) they have managed to basically do what you want.

So instead of crying the blues swinging back and forth with candles ask the city to change their licence for pets.

Ask them to look into what Calgary has accomplished.

“Calgary, when it comes to animal control, is the envy of the continent.”[/quote]