Canadian Tire and Walmart, in Prince Rupert?

Anybody read the papers yesterday?.. There was articles in both papers, saying that the city is re-zoning the land by BC Hydro from Public Utilities to Commercial park. There is plans for a 40,000 square foot store, and a 46,000 square foor store, with a 17,000 square foot parking lot in between the two.

Both papers? What other paper?

Look Inside, and the Daily Snews

Did the article(s) actually say that it was going to be Can. Tire and Wal Mart going there? Or are we just assuming that?

they’ve been talking about getting those for a long time.
along with starbucks and whatever else…

So now we will be just like Terrace, Spit and have whatever. Can you imagine the echo in the Prince Rupert Mall, Just the Green brothers chasing each other around.

it’d be weird thats for sure.
i can’t really imagine rupert being some urban center or anything.
and the mall is already pretty much echoing.

Having the exact same big-box stores as Terrace would be boring!! Sportchek and Future Shop would be much more economical. :smiley:

Umm… Canadian Tire cannot move into Prince Rupert as long as the Terrace store is renovated every… 5 years I think it is. And they’re renovating now so, no Canadian Tire is not coming here.

where did you here that from dyllan? Maybe its a costco. I also heard that Jim Pattison had dibs on one of the lots… New Save on Foods and gas bar, since hes renting the building hes in right now?

Ohh the excitement builds what’s it going to be a mini mall or a big box store, My guess its its going to be a Canadian tire and (Wally world) Wal-Mart, as for the green brothers I like the idea of them chasing each other. :wink:

when I make it to terrace Im surprised at all the rupert people up there shopping it only makes sence that we have something here in rupert that would make people think twice about shopping in terrace, and right now we have nothing to offer.

How about a Target. Screw walmart and cantire. Old Navy?? Winners? Costco would do excellent business here with all the outlying communities.

Save on foods is what Overweightea used to be-as far as I know, Rupert is the only one that hasn’t changed over to the new name (and I like that)

[quote=“fedhed”]How about a Target. Screw walmart and cantire. Old Navy?? Winners? Costco would do excellent business here with all the outlying communities.
[/quote]

Target is the same as Zellars, Winners is just another junk store, and Old Navy is for preps. an Eddie Bauer and Randy River would be wicked… good quality clothes for cheap.

[quote]
Save on foods is what Overweightea used to be-as far as I know, Rupert is the only one that hasn’t changed over to the new name (and I like that)[/quote]

what difference would the name of the store make anyway. the Overwaitea has the same products and has the same store theme as any save on foods. It’s essentially the same store. I now got conformation that a Save on Foods and gas bar is taking one of the spots. Pattison bought the land before the zoning change.

[quote=“fedhed”]

Save on foods is what Overweightea used to be-as far as I know, Rupert is the only one that hasn’t changed over to the new name (and I like that)[/quote]

Surprisingly I thought Rupert was the last overwaitea, but apparently not. There are 17 overwaitea’s left in BC
overwaitea.com/owfg/stores/locations.htm

Apparently Jim Pattison owns the Guinness world record corp and Ripley’s believe it or not.

Jim Paterson owns my blue suit he just lends it to me for hacking the main frame mug shot.

Speculation at this point. Until I see a press release saying “We are coming!”, or a sign being hoisted… just speculation.

Personally, I’d be surprised if a Future Shop came here. I’d be a little choked too, but since we price match them already… no big deal.

Problem with WalMart, Can Tire, Staples etc… is that they already have stores in T’rrace that service the “surrounding area”. We get the Canadian Tire flyers because we are in their “market area”… however we don’t get WalMart flyers… so perhaps they will put in a “baby” store here.

Although, I’m sure that when the owners of these stores in T’rrace built them / expanded them, part of their target market and business plan was Prince Rupert customers- and they will all see losses if identical stores open here.

If I had to stab in the dark, I’d say Home Depot and maybe a Co-Op. Stores that do not have T’rrace locations will draw in everyone from Smithers to the Charlottes.

Just my dot-oh-two.

Target is the same as Zellars, Winners is just another junk store, and Old Navy is for preps. an Eddie Bauer and Randy River would be wicked… good quality clothes for cheap.

[quote]

what difference would the name of the store make anyway. the Overwaitea has the same products and has the same store theme as any save on foods. It’s essentially the same store. I now got conformation that a Save on Foods and gas bar is taking one of the spots. Pattison bought the land before the zoning change.[/quote]

Sheer opinion. Target can’t be the same as Zeller’s or it would be called Zellers. Have you ever been to one? The cheap shit is MUCH less cheap than Zellers.

I find it interesting that you would label Old Navy as preppie yet breath accolades for Eddie Bauer in the SAME SENTENCE. Old Navy=good clothes for cheap. Eddie Bauer is like the motherland for yuppies.

Thanks for the Overweightea tidbit, everyone up in the HHighway was choked when they changed to Save On foods. I wonder if it is the individual store decision. Save on is so blah-at least Overweightea is somewhat unique and has a history.

I bought some jeans at the eddie bauer in PG, 2 pairs for $39.99. That cheaper than wearhouse one… that was 2 years ago, and I still wear those jeans… I also have a bunch of shirts from Randy River, good quality and most of them are no more than $15, for a collered button up shirt. Old Navy is “trendy” nazi clothes.

Hey, wheres the eddie bauer in pg? I’ve been here almost two years now, and I’ve never noticed/heard of one here before… :confused: