Canadian Tire and Walmart, in Prince Rupert?

I would rather have a big ass superstore than this current extra foods. Or at least move it out of the mall.

I am doubtful of home depot as well. Rona could have opened a giant box store, but they recognized the community (and outlying areas) wouldn’t support it so they came in through Tyee building.

Old Navy rulz your ass Joel. 8)

It was in Parkwood centre, if it’s still open. I hate that parking lot, and avoid it at all costs. (the lower one, anyways)

So this is the real thing, I have no idea about Ukrainian Tire but Wal-Mart is for real, it will be unload and distribution and that came from a unknown city offical. There is not much left out there to be sold.

I steadfastly maintain Target is less crappy than Zellers. Bah!! I thought Zellers=Kmart in the U.S.

[quote=“HotmailDOTCom”]There is no way that a Save-On-Foods is going into one of those spots. Prince Rupert already has an Overwaitea which is the EXACT same thing as Save-On-Foods, save for the name difference.

The Overwaitea group is not going to build a Save-On-Foods here when we already have a Overwaitea that is performing well and has an established clientel.

We do know for sure that these two spots are 40,000 and 47,000 sq ft (so they will be HUGE stores), this eliminates a number of stores (such as Futureshop, Staples, Winners, Sportchek ect) because these stores are NO WHERE near those sizes.

We can also eliminate the possibility of it being a supermarket/grocery store as we already have 3 of the 4 major grocery stories (Overwaitea, Safeway and Extra Foods). The only one we don’t have is Superstore, which COULD be one of the stores opening, but with Extra Foods here (owned by the same company that owns Superstore and Real Canadian Wholesale) I don’t see it coming here. We don’t have the population to sustain a Superstore and I can’t see it really pulling people to town from outside of Rupert. It would also be competing with Extra Foods that sells the EXACT same products at the exact same prices.

That leaves only a few options for these two spaces and those are Canadian Tire, Wal-Mart, Home Depot or Costco.

I think FOR SURE one of them is going to be a Canadian Tire and the other one will be either Home Depot or Wal-Mart, I am leading towards Home Depot, simply because no other city from here to PG has a Home Depot and thus would attract people from Houston, Smithers, Kitimat, Terrace (spit!) & District and The Charlottes. Wal-Mart coming here will only benefit from people in town and in Port Ed, outlying coastal communities and The Charlottes. Wal-Mart will also be losing the business from Rupert/Port Ed/The Charlottes from it’s Terrace (spit!) store.

The fourth and most unlikely option is a Costco. Now if it is a Costco that would be a HUGE HUGE deal for Rupert, and I just don’t see how Rupert is large enough to sustain something like Costco.

However, putting a Costco here in Rupert would attract not only locals here in Rupert, but would bring people in from Houston, Smithers, Terrace (spit!), The Hazeltons, Kitimat, Port Ed and The Queen Charlottes, who would all not need to go to Prince George any longer to get to Costco.[/quote]

Overwaitea, or rather Jim Pattison does not own the building he is in right now in prince rupert… he is renting off of somebody. He wants to open a new store in his own building and expand the service her, but he can’t do that in the location overwaitea is in right now.

My coworker just said they’re putting an actuall mall there, said it was in the paper? So not a box store?

A “mall” can be something other than the type we already have…

[quote]mall1 Audio pronunciation of “mall” ( P ) Pronunciation Key (môl, ml)
n.

1. A large, often enclosed shopping complex containing various stores, businesses, and restaurants usually accessible by common passageways.
  2. A street lined with shops and closed to vehicles.
  3. A shady public walk or promenade.[/quote]

Mike

“shady public walk” sounds HOT

The Podunk guy has a great blogpost on the new development, with details:

tinyurl.com/bjr88

I say build it… why not, what’s down town on 3 ave come on people its coffee shops and hairdressers… there is no real shopping on 3 ave.
2 places I visit on 3 ave are are bargain store and Data Boy… there will be no one looseing there shirts on 3 ave.
And look at our mall look at all the empty places in the mall, no one goes there no one wants to do buisness with the Greens. its time to move on…

[quote=“MiG”]The Podunk guy has a great blogpost on the new development, with details:

tinyurl.com/bjr88[/quote]

And they even linked back to HTMF.

Wonder who this fellow is?

You’re assuming that they hire locally. Some “big box stores” ship in their inaugral staff (cough Future Shop cough). Example? How many of the last Zellers managers were local hires?

Which is better? A dozen minimum wage “disposable” jobs, or a half-dozen shops closing their doors? Personally, I’ll take the personal touch at a shop where they know me, and I know them.

I think it’s funny that people complain about how much they make at some local businesses, but are willing to toss it all away for a minimum wage dreary sales job at a “big box”, where they require you to come into weekly meetings without pay, meet all sorts of silly quotas (could I have your name and address? Would you like to apply for our BRAND NAME card?), and have a stack of resumes of people willing to replace you.

40,000 square feet. That’s an awfully big space. Best Buy averages around 35,000… but I seriously can only see a department-style store filling that much space. Perhaps HBC?

So what’s going into the 'ole Universal? I’m guessing the dumpster isn’t out side just 'cause…

I was wondering about the Universal as well after seeing that dumpster. How’s business been for you so far goodbytes? One of these days I gotta pop in and check out your store.

Mike

[quote=“CrazyMike”]I was wondering about the Universal as well after seeing that dumpster. How’s business been for you so far goodbytes? One of these days I gotta pop in and check out your store.

Mike[/quote]

Actually, been pretty good. Been a challenge keeping stuff on the shelves - it seems I restock almost every day. Been slowly bringing in more as demand rises.

agreed… stocking and inventory are the two things I dread the most, but I go by the belief that if you don’t have something in stock, you won’t sell it. I’ve found so many time, that nobody in town has something, but I just happen to have that item in stock. Those people always return.

[quote=“goodbytes”]

You’re assuming that they hire locally. Some “big box stores” ship in their inaugral staff (cough Future Shop cough). Example? How many of the last Zellers managers were local hires?

Which is better? A dozen minimum wage “disposable” jobs, or a half-dozen shops closing their doors? Personally, I’ll take the personal touch at a shop where they know me, and I know them.

I think it’s funny that people complain about how much they make at some local businesses, but are willing to toss it all away for a minimum wage dreary sales job at a “big box”, where they require you to come into weekly meetings without pay, meet all sorts of silly quotas (could I have your name and address? Would you like to apply for our BRAND NAME card?), and have a stack of resumes of people willing to replace you.

40,000 square feet. That’s an awfully big space. Best Buy averages around 35,000… but I seriously can only see a department-style store filling that much space. Perhaps HBC?

So what’s going into the 'ole Universal? I’m guessing the dumpster isn’t out side just 'cause…[/quote]

Can we say…
Kondolas Furniture from Terrace?(spit)

ah the dreaded Terrace double spit.

I talked to the mayor the other day… he said he wants to see big box stores… he mentioned Canadian Tire…but I hope it’s other ones Terrace doesn’t have

Kondolas it is - they have an advertisement on Job Bank for “warehouse” people, and resumes are to go to 700 3rd Ave.

That’s not a very compelling example. One manager, compared to a few dozen locally-hired employees. That’s hardly what anyone would call “shipping in” staff.